PDA

View Full Version : total newb questions

privateschultz
04-06-2005, 06:55 PM
i've never played a sim game before, least of all a submarine, only fps.

1. is the 2nd requirement (navigate the channel) in the 1st exam achievable or necessary before completing the 3rd & 4th because i've ran all over the channel & half up norway without 'completing' it?

2. i bought the game online & thus have no book or keyboard plate thingy. is there anything equivalent on the net i can view?

3. can one advance their career in multiplayer?

i'll be back with more dumb questions later.

privateschultz
04-06-2005, 06:55 PM
i've never played a sim game before, least of all a submarine, only fps.

1. is the 2nd requirement (navigate the channel) in the 1st exam achievable or necessary before completing the 3rd & 4th because i've ran all over the channel & half up norway without 'completing' it?

2. i bought the game online & thus have no book or keyboard plate thingy. is there anything equivalent on the net i can view?

3. can one advance their career in multiplayer?

i'll be back with more dumb questions later.

Lovo_Kasistan
04-06-2005, 07:17 PM
1. Press the "m" key, read and follow your orders.

2. Look into the installation folder, there's another folder called documentation.

3. No.

TonyPiech
04-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Responses to you:
1. There's no requirement to pass the tests at the Naval Academy (Training). If you're playing for the first time, it might be best to do so to familiarize yourself with the controls. You can jump to any training mission that you like.

2. If you downloaded the sim, go to the documentation folder to view the manual in Pdf format, it's located in your Program files:
Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\documentation

Also, there is an in-game help menu with the keystrokes [F1].

3. Don't know about #3, don't do multi-player.

privateschultz
04-06-2005, 07:55 PM
thanks guys.

NaturalBornGoth
04-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Concerning #1: You will get a reknown bonus when you finish the training successfully before beginning a campaign. Might become handy later on, when stuff begins to get expensive.

tcrossma
04-07-2005, 08:26 AM
I am also new to sims, and am having similar troubles getting started. On that training mission I too went all over the place without "completing" it, until I stumbled upon the "m" key. It appears you have to dive down a bit before it will move on, even though it doesn't say it in the "mission" screen.

Is there a UI method for getting into "m"? I've started having a little better luck with the training missions after using some of the keyboard controls, but the interface seems kind of clunky to me. Am I missing something, or does it just take some trial and error to figure out where things are?

crpcarrot
04-07-2005, 09:00 AM
F8 will give mission summary and each objectives status.

the 1st and 2nd objectives for the first training mission are linked ie u have to navigate the channel while submerged @ 25m IIRC

i'm only 7 days into the game myself so excuse any mistakes.

cheers