PDA

View Full Version : Test Runway 1 and 2

LEXX_Luthor
11-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Anybody try the Test Runways under "Ship" objects?

Aircraft can be set to operate the same way as with carriers. TR1 is 1.2km long concrete, long enough for any plane. TR2 is 1km steel matt.

I manually set TR1 waypoints off the map edge, and it worked well on land, but if you try to do this on land on the map at a flat sea level area, the planes don't work.

This is an interesting development because it shows Oleg can create FMB placeable airfields for good Eastern Front missions...most needed on Lvov map that has a severe shortage of airfields, rendering the western third of Lvov map unusable for a campaign. FMB placeable airfields would not need waypoints, thus they would be even more simple than the new Test Runways.

I would like to see the new "primitive" airfield textures some FP island maps being used for grafix for FMB placeable airfields. White snow version for Eastern Front.

LEXX_Luthor
11-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Anybody try the Test Runways under "Ship" objects?

Aircraft can be set to operate the same way as with carriers. TR1 is 1.2km long concrete, long enough for any plane. TR2 is 1km steel matt.

I manually set TR1 waypoints off the map edge, and it worked well on land, but if you try to do this on land on the map at a flat sea level area, the planes don't work.

This is an interesting development because it shows Oleg can create FMB placeable airfields for good Eastern Front missions...most needed on Lvov map that has a severe shortage of airfields, rendering the western third of Lvov map unusable for a campaign. FMB placeable airfields would not need waypoints, thus they would be even more simple than the new Test Runways.

I would like to see the new "primitive" airfield textures some FP island maps being used for grafix for FMB placeable airfields. White snow version for Eastern Front.

B1izard
11-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi Lexx,

Yes, I have used the test strips and they are great. I have already incorporated them in about 5 maps. This was a great find for me. Like you said, I hope that we will be able to place full airfields most anywhere on maps n the furure.

Tater-SW-
11-03-2004, 12:02 PM
This is an incredible feature that I fear isn;t appreciated by the devs...

tater

Eddie_W
11-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Set them as "static ships". No waypoints required.

LEXX_Luthor
11-03-2004, 02:16 PM
I missed that, thanks.
I found it...under "Stationary Ships"

But, the planes jump off the runway and blow up. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

So close to FMB placeable airfeilds for Eastern Front....

Troll2k
11-03-2004, 03:25 PM
I have used the runways in a df map with no problems.Except you have to remove the chocks and if you drive off the side you damage your plane.

I even put a concrete runway in the middle of the ocean.You can take off and land just fine on it.

LEXX_Luthor
11-03-2004, 04:14 PM
I'll try it again. Thanks. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

...maybe it doesn't work for offwhine single player missions. mmm

fabianfred
11-04-2004, 05:56 PM
I believe that to use them they must be treated just like a carrier, so you must release chocks on take-off, and planes will disappear after landing.
it would have been better if they were a little shorter and without height, and almost clear in colour to see just a slight difference from the surrounding ground.

you can construct airfields anywhere, even in AEP/FB,and get flights to take-off, but they will not land back there, so one of these strips would change that......

TPN_Cephas
11-04-2004, 07:18 PM
I used the steel mat temporary runway in a loose recreation of the Doolittle Raid in which they land on the island on the west side of the map, simulating reaching China. I placed the runway down in a slightly hilly area so the far end of the matting blends into the slope of the hill. The human B-25's have no problem taxiing off the end after landing since the ledge is gone. I also surrounded the rest of the runway with bamboo fencing to discourage pilots from trying to exit in other parts.
I need to try setting AI planes like a carrier, I was wondering why they would not land. Here is a link to the mission if interested. It is in the "0 Cephas PF" folder after unzipping.
http://home.comcast.net/~pmcgwire/IL2/coop.zip

owlwatcher
11-05-2004, 12:59 AM
Tried using staic and ship Test runways at pearl.

Want or need seaplane takeoffs,

seaplanes blew up on ruynway then a ship crossing over Test runway and over sank theb the test runway rose and sank on a slant.

Gotta find a better way to place them.