PDA

View Full Version : Question about 1946

flatshovel
03-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Hi all,
Im new to the forums as well as Pacific Fighters and IL2-Sturmovik. I have both games, but I would like to purchase IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. I noticed that 1946 includes pacific fighters and IL-2 Sturmovik the orginal game. I don't want to repurchase these games as I got them for Christmas. Does any one know if you can buy just IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 by itself without having all the other titles come with it?
Thanks,
Joey

flatshovel
03-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Hi all,
Im new to the forums as well as Pacific Fighters and IL2-Sturmovik. I have both games, but I would like to purchase IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. I noticed that 1946 includes pacific fighters and IL-2 Sturmovik the orginal game. I don't want to repurchase these games as I got them for Christmas. Does any one know if you can buy just IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 by itself without having all the other titles come with it?
Thanks,
Joey

Zeus-cat
03-25-2007, 09:56 AM
IL-2 1946 does not include the original IL-2. That series died out and was replaced by Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters, Pe-2, etc.

If you have not purchased Forgotten Battles and the Pe-2 add-on, plus downloaded all the free patches, IL-2 1946 is faster and cheaper than any alternative.

flatshovel
03-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Zeus-cat,
Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded the patches for IL2 and Pacific Fighters. I do not have Forgotten Battles and the Pe-2 add-on. Now I assume that IL2 1946 comes with 1946, IL2 Sturmovik, Forgotten Battles, the PE2 add-on plus Pacific fighters correct? I really don't want to buy it to just get addons and things when I already own, IL2 and Pacific Fighters. It would be nice if you could just buy IL2 1946 separate.
But as you said it may be cheaper to go this route since it all comes bundled together.
Joey

Antoninus
03-25-2007, 10:43 AM
The IL-2 1946 DVD includes:
Forgotten Battles
The Aces Expansion Pack
Pacific Fighters
PE-2
Sturmoviks over Manchuria
The 46 jet addon
and the static campaigns of the original Il-2 Sturmovik

The three addons PE-2, Sturmoviks over Manchuri and 46 are also available seperatly for download but you need the merged installation of Forgotten Battles, AEP and Pacific Fighters to play them.

Skycat_2
03-25-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm going to take a stab here and guess that you got IL-2 Sturmovik and Pacific Fighters as part of the "Ultimate Flight Collection." UFC retails for about $20 and is, I guess, a nice pack for the uninitiated.

IL-2 Sturmovik is basically the original version of Forgotten Battles. FB was originally going to be an expansion pack, but the developers changed so much of the code and added so much that it became the new beginning of the current series. FB has everything from IL-2 Sturmovik (except its campaigns) plus new planes, maps and features ... and the 3D models look better. I paid $40 on the first day of release even though I already had IL-2 Sturmovik.

Aces Expansion Pack was just that, an expansion pack. I think it added about thirty more flyable planes and a few new maps. I paid $20 for it the week it came out.

If you're keeping score, I now have $60 invested in the game, plus $20 for the original IL-2 Sturmovik game. $80 total.

Then Pacific Fighters came out. Originally it was about $40 but later dropped in price and held steady at $20. I waited and got it for about $30.

I'm up to $110 total now.

Last summer, the Pe-2 expansion was released. To the West, it was only available as a commercial download. People said bad things about the download manager program, BoontyBox, so I opted out of Pe-2 Peshka. The cost was somewhere around $15-20 for the download.

We waited and waited for news on the '46 and Sturmoviks Over Manchuria add-ons. Originally they weren't going to be offered to the West, so there didn't seem to be a guarantee we'd ever get them. We also thought we'd all have to buy the Pe-2 download in order to 'merge' '46 to the rest of the series, and then buy Sturmoviks Over Manchuria as another separate download. Three separate expansions ... even at $15 apiece, we were looking at a minimum of $45 in expansions. Of course if you didn't already have all of the FB+AEP+PF combo, you'd have to get those parts first ...

Surprise! Last week the IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 was finally released to North America! And the cost is only $30 for the entire series in one easy install! It even comes with the original IL-2 Sturmovik's campaigns!

You've got to overcome the idea that you'd be paying for the Pacific Fighters game again. Forget that. Also, Forgotten Battles had twice as much content as IL-2 Sturmovik so you're not really buying that again either. If you need a financial argument, look at it this way:

1. IL-2 Sturmovik's campaigns .......... Free.
2. FB = 50% more material than IL-2 .... Free.
3. Aces Expansion Pack ................. $5.
4. Pacific Fighters .................... Free.
5. Pe-2 Peshka expansion ............... $5.
6. '46 expansion ....................... $10.
7. Sturmoviks Over Manchuria ........... $10.

Zeus-cat
03-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Someone just posted that IL2 1946 is at Circuit City for $19.99. You can't buy the pieces you are missing for anywhere near that.

Skycat_2
03-25-2007, 01:19 PM
It's important to explain that the only parts of the IL-2 family that could be installed as separate "standalone" games were IL-2 Sturmovik, Forgotten Battles, and Pacific Fighters. The rest are all part of a sequential install. And after FB, the original IL-2 Sturmovik game really shouldn't be considered part of the FB series.

Pacific Fighters has two install options. It can be a standalone game, or it can be installed as an expansion to FB+AEP. The upgrade patches reflect that: the 3.03m through 4.04m patches (for the FB+AEP+PF version) had bonus content that wasn't available in the PF 'standalone' patches. Specifically, the Kurland and Murmansk maps, the Northwest Europe map, a collection of Eastern Front ground vehicles and artillery, and about about a dozen additional flyable planes as I recall.

You wish that the '46 content was available by itself. '46 is an expansion and requires the previous versions of the game to work. I suppose it could be possible to just sell this expansion as a standalone version and backfill the missing maps and planes that come from Forgotten Battles and Aces Expansion Pack, but then it'd be a full game and would cost about the same as the 1946 DVD anyhow. And it would only add to the confusion of having multiple versions of the game ("I have this, but I don't have that ... where can I play online? How do I patch?").

If the '46 expansion was sold as a separate expansion pack, you'd have to:
1. Buy Forgotten Battles and install it.
2. Buy Aces Expansion Pack and install it.
3. Install your PF again as the 'merged option.'
4. Buy Pe-2 Peshka and install it.
5. Then install '46.

If you like IL-2 Sturmovik, I can only promise that the "Forgotten Battles plus Ace Expansion Pack plus Pe-2 plus '46" family that focuses primarily on the Russian Front is a huge improvement and offers an astounding amount of content that was 'missing' from IL-2 Sturmovik. And if you like Pacific Fighters, the new Sturmoviks Over Manchuria content only improves it by adding more flyable and AI Japanese planes plus another flyable version of the American A-20 bomber. And then there is Ian Boys' Burma map added as a bonus.

Finally, did you know that there is also a few Normandy and Ardennes maps, an Italy map, a desert mountains map, and a Norway map now included in the game? They get overlooked because the included campaigns focus on the Pacific War and the Eastern Front.

flatshovel
03-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Skycat_2,
Thanks for breaking that down. I should have mentioned that I got IL2 and Pacific Fighters through the Ultimate flight pack. I really love the games. I am glad someone mentioned that link to Circuit city, I think I am going to go ahead and purchase the game from there and have it shipped to me since there is no circuit city close to me (about 55miles away) and not going that way anytime soon. For $20 you can't really beat that heck, look at all the fun youll have.
Thanks for info and yes you hit the nail dead on the head. Thanks for understanding and helping me. I am off to Circuit City to order.
Thanks,
Joey

Bearcat99
03-25-2007, 09:34 PM
IL2 46 for $19.99 at Circuit City (http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&context=&keyword=IL2&searchSection=20012841%7CGames+%26+Toys&go.x=17&go.y=10)

You cant beat that with a stick.

Aesuai
03-26-2007, 12:13 AM
I bought 1946 and have multiple ubisoft folders.
My FB complete edition is in a folder called: ubi soft (two words) while my 1946 shares a folder with my pacific fighters stand alone called: ubisoft.
When extracting the 4.08m, should I extract directly into my 1946 folder or one of the ubisoft folders?
Sorry for the confusion.

Aesuai

Skycat_2
03-26-2007, 12:22 AM
4.08m goes to the 1946 folder in the UbiSoft folder.

Aesuai
03-26-2007, 12:38 AM
thanks skycat!

flatshovel
03-26-2007, 06:18 AM
Purchased my copy last night through Circuit City and should hopefully have it by the end of the week. Can't wait to play. I will let you guys know how it turns out for me. Thanks for all the help and I look forward to coming back to the forums to ask questions and maybe help others.
Thanks,
Joey