PDA

View Full Version : High Detail Skins?

serial_mike
12-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Hi all, as you may or may not know I am new here.
I can and have modified some of the skins in order to bring out more definition shape and clarity.

They are the default skins enhanced with some techniques i have picked up along the way of modding games like F1C-99-02, HighHeat Baseball04, MVP baseball series etc.

I have posted pics of the F4F enhanced in the screenshots thread. they are on page 32.

If you have an eye for the little finer things you will see a big difference. Its kinda like some people cant tell the difference in a good tv from a bad one and others wouldnt touch the lesser tv with a ten foot pole.

anyway if you like what you see and would like me too I can work on the skins and release them for downlaod at my website. Let me know.

Keep in mind these are jpg conversions of the original bmp screenshots so there is actually alot of detail loss so if you think these look good the look much better in the game

DD_NL
12-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Welcome to the boards and let me introduce you to a very nice website:

www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com)

greyeagle1935
12-06-2004, 11:37 AM
Will these skins work in PB ?

greyeagle1935
12-06-2004, 11:37 AM
OOPs PF is what I meant.

Tater-SW-
12-06-2004, 11:44 AM
yes, if the plane exists in the game, the skins work. You place them in the folder for the specific plane type, and they are available in game. There are thousands of them.

tater

serial_mike
12-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Thanks...cool place the skins place is.

There is a difference to what i do. I take the default skins rather than repainting makings and camo schemes. Then I enhance them so that the details in the skin are clearer and more defined and much more three dimensional looking.

If you look and the pics I posted you can clearly see the panels that are all over the plane and they now have depth to them. you can also make out much more detail in areas like the engine and such also with much more clearity and depth.

I have my own site, I like to keep what i make my property as when you send things to other sites sometimes(not always and not accusing any site specifically) start selling cd's of what they have posted ...making themselves money.
I made them and while i am not asking any money i dont see why another should be able to make money from mod files and not the authors.....like say...fileplanet.,lol opps popped a name slip there didnt I.

anyway, depending on the response I will deciden thanks in advance guys! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif .

serial_mike
12-06-2004, 12:44 PM
Here are some newer F4F-3 Pics that show the detail i am talking about.
http://www.allsportgamer.com/webpics/f4fhd.jpg

http://www.allsportgamer.com/webpics/f4fhd1.jpg

http://www.allsportgamer.com/webpics/f4fhd2.jpg

Spinnetti
12-06-2004, 01:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by serial_mike:
Hi all, as you may or may not know I am new here.
I can and have modified some of the skins in order to bring out more definition shape and clarity.

They are the default skins enhanced with some techniques i have picked up along the way of modding games like F1C-99-02, HighHeat Baseball04, MVP baseball series etc.

I have posted pics of the F4F enhanced in the screenshots thread. they are on page 32.

If you have an eye for the little finer things you will see a big difference. Its kinda like some people cant tell the difference in a good tv from a bad one and others wouldnt touch the lesser tv with a ten foot pole.

anyway if you like what you see and would like me too I can work on the skins and release them for downlaod at my website. Let me know.

Keep in mind these are jpg conversions of the original bmp screenshots so there is actually alot of detail loss so if you think these look good the look much better in the game <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about 'tuning up' my FW190? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

serial_mike
12-06-2004, 01:29 PM
I probably should have made it a poll.

But If enough people want copies of the skins I will work on doing it for every plane from the default IL series and PF!

DarkCanuck420
12-06-2004, 01:33 PM
nice work looks, sexy.

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 01:43 PM
This is a great idea.

Waldo.Pepper
12-06-2004, 02:42 PM
And then when you have then done you can upload them to il2skins.com

Chuck_Older
12-06-2004, 02:44 PM
Um, I have a question here:

How did you get access to the default skins in the game? I cannot, not ever.

If somehow we have suddenly been given acces to the default skins in the game, then I apologize for this in advance but I have to say it:

I don't believe this is for-real

serial_mike
12-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Well, i can tell you that i can for sure do whatever i like to the default skins in the game.

I do know that like ou say that corel wont touch it without me doing something to it with something else first.

but if i have somehow broken a unwritten law by editing these and maybe putting them up for download then i will not say how i did it.
but if this will not make oleg or the developers mad then i shall let you guys in on it.

But i can tell you it is real!

Chuck_Older
12-06-2004, 03:04 PM
OK, let's say for the sake of argument it is; I have no real reason to doubt it other than I have been told it is not possible, also from folks I have no particular reason to suspect of untruth, if you follow me.

But consider this:

Default skins exist for a reason, and one of these, as I understand it, is online play.

A host can force default skins.

Is it possible, that by changing the default skins, you will make the quality of online play suffer? Remember, if it is really a default skin, the game should not detect it as custom. This may make online play laggy in some servers

test this out first!

Is there an easy way to back-up your real, as-shipped default skins? Do it, I urge you

Also, there may be trouble with editting game code in this fashion. I'm not saying you'll be sued, but some skin artists might get touchy about their work, that went into the game, being changed. Some folks might take a dim view of this. Just bringing up the possibility that you should ask somebody before you go changing what has heretofore been restricted elements of the game

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 03:08 PM
If serial_mike dose in fact have access to the default skins, couldn't he just release the skin on il2skins and we could use them on a custom basis. I would love to see the original il2 skins with a face lift.

If you have the ability to modify default skins I wouldn't tell others how to do it because if might have negative ramifications for the game but it would be nice to get upgraded skins for dowload.

serial_mike
12-06-2004, 03:12 PM
I definatly hear ya.

I can tell you this. It will not cost single FPS 100 percent positive of this beyond the shadow of a doubt! It has been test in F1C,highheat04,mvp2004 among other titles and never once has it ever cost a single fps on any system.

All you would have to do is save you default (plane folder) and keep it in a safe place to swap if you needed to.

I dont really want to give away what i do but, The files are enhanced and since they are default no one using default planes would have to download anything during play becasue the game would say use f4f-3 void bmp and so it would be done.

here are the fw190a-4 pics

http://www.allsportgamer.com/webpics/fw190.jpg

http://www.allsportgamer.com/webpics/fw1901.jpg

anthonyl59
12-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Are you the same "Serial_Mike" that does work for F1 Challenge?

serial_mike
12-06-2004, 03:26 PM
ay,....it is the one and the same serialmike of the infamous(well in F1C anyway) HD updates!,lol

Good to see ya!

blankenship
12-06-2004, 03:59 PM
It would be neat if you could show a before and after shot.

serial_mike
12-06-2004, 04:01 PM
sometime tonight i will load up a before of the f4f-3

I dont have the time to take screenies right at the moment.

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 04:19 PM
It'd be even neater if we could get our hands on these.

VW-IceFire
12-06-2004, 05:01 PM
WOW! Nice!

serial_mike
12-06-2004, 05:45 PM
alright guys, i did a side by side of the pics from edited and non edited skins and while there is a little difference, there is not nearly as much as i thought showing thru for some reason.

anyway, here is how to edit the default bmp files.
open the skin bmp with "irfanview" do a google swarch. Then make a change to it...resize or sharpness...something. then save it. now it can be opened with corel and edited anyway you see fit.

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Where are you finding the default bmp files.

sapre
12-06-2004, 09:01 PM
What the hell is
F1C-99-02, HighHeat Baseball04, MVP baseball series ?????

serial_mike
12-06-2004, 09:38 PM
they are right in the paintschemes/skins folder

F1c 99-02 is EA's formula 1 racing simulator.
highheat is the most realistic baseball series ever done. MVP is well an arcade brand of baseball but HH is dead so it is the only computer baseball game to mod now. basiclly just a bunch of other titles i do lots o mod work for.

Hans_Philipp
12-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Good god man, just send us your system! That landscape is PERFECT (no pun intended!)

BTW-I'd welcome ANY change in some of the game's default skins but I think these should be made in sync with the devs, so that they get released in a patch, and we all get the same ones.

PlaneEater
12-07-2004, 01:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>they are right in the paintschemes/skins folder <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry, no. There are no default skins in the paintschemes folders, and there never have been for specifically this reason.

Please post screenshots of exactly how you are accessing the default skins or I will have to conclude that you are simply lying.

Weather_Man
12-07-2004, 02:11 AM
There are additional "stock" skins in the paintschemes folder, for some planes, that can be modified, but they aren't the default skins. You'd have to actually select them to see it. These are no different than any other add on skin you can download.

The default skins, I believe, are hardcoded and encrypted. Modifying them would take a bit more work. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif To my knowlege it's never happened.

DuxCorvan
12-07-2004, 05:48 AM
Besides, some planes do not show hi-res textures even if you use them. Some, as IARs, never showed a better image than a 512x512 texture. If you used a 1024x1024 texture, it looked almost the same, blurry and distorted, because the plane just rendered that way. This has been fixed when IARs were made flyable, but many others are still stuck with 512x512 texture rendering.

The same, if you use 2048x2048 skins, they will consume memory resources, but they won't show up as you expected. The engine just resample them to 1024x1024 or 512x512 specs, and they lose detail and get blurred.

It's something we skinners really want. All planes showing the same quality. 109s, for example, give very good rendering, and also most US planes. Most Russian planes, instead -among the older- give simply lame results, when we need detailing. Because our true work isn't seen in-game.

Feathered_IV
12-07-2004, 06:25 AM
It'd sure be nice to replace the all late model Zero default skins. Next to the Raiden and Shiden they are..... (Feathered makes rude sound with his armpit).

serial_mike
12-07-2004, 08:13 AM
yep, you guys are right. I made a mistake about what default skins are and i realized after testing some more stuff last night,

But to call me a lier just makes you look the fool. I made a MISTAKE, I did not intentionally lie. there is a big,big difference. do not call me something i am not

DD_NL
12-07-2004, 08:15 AM
Uhmm, what program would one need to unpack and look at the SFS files?

rummyrum
12-07-2004, 08:23 AM
No Worries, but you did mention something that needs to be done and that is to update all the old skins from the il2 days....many of which are 512x512. Some still display at the resolution but most don't.

DD_NL
12-07-2004, 08:29 AM
Serial_Mike,

The way it is, is that the game has the paint-schemes folder in which each plane has a void.bmp, so people can take that and re-skin it to their liking in either 512x512 or 1024x1024 format. When you select the default skin in the game interface, the game grabs a skin that's hidden somewhere in the code, most likely in one of the 3do.SFS files, so unless someone would have a way to extract those files, modify them and put it all back together, there's no way to alter the default game skins.

You were saying that you did something to the default aircraft skins to make them look more "high-res". If you would explain exactly what you did then that would clear up alot of things.

You said you modified the F4F-4, so in the F4F folder theres the void.bmp, the F4F-4 3 Tone.bmp and the F4F-4 Atlantic.bmp.
Which one did you modify, and what did you do to make it "high-res"?
How the skins look also depend a bit on what type of graphics card someone has and what video-settings they use.
But the screenies sure look nice, and welcome to the game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Extreme_One
12-07-2004, 08:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DD_NL:
Uhmm, what program would one need to unpack and look at the SFS files? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No such program exists.

@ serial_mike no offence mate but 'skinning' has been a part of this game since the IL2 was 1st release three years ago.
Didn't looking at www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) give you a clue that you might not have such a novel idea as you first thought?

Nice skins though - you should upload some to www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com)

You could also go here (http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/groupee/forums?a=frm&s=400102&f=45410763) to find some like-minded individuals.

serial_mike
12-07-2004, 08:52 AM
I am going to do a little more experimenting today.
But like somone said earlier i am not sure that a clearer map is actually doing anything when it is applied to the polygon model. I want ti bwe sure.

Also I have to look in some folders but I think the default skins might be in a jar file. It is 12 megs compressed.

Extreme_One
12-07-2004, 09:33 AM
The default skins cannot be accessed.

Many, many, many people have tried.

You are still doing nothing new my friend.

One method of 'improving' the way skins look is to use a program called bright when you publish them.

I'm not saying you should stop in your endevours by any means - just don't claim to be able to do something in 5 minutes of arriving that many extremely talented people have been doing for many years now.

That said - I look forward to seeing more of your skins in future.

serial_mike
12-07-2004, 10:38 AM
why must people give thier two cents in an attack like manner then back off with a comment like cant wait to see your work. you must understand this...
I came here with intentions of making some things look better as i have for yrs in many other games.
I made a mistake not knowing that there was an issue with the default skins. I had no idea!

It was an accident that i apologized for.

Now to state it more properly, I have tested one of the skins from the 4f4 atlantic version and I was able to modify it with my texhniques and it looks fantastic!!!!!! so there is no problem with the polygon model showing the better detail of my techniques! So what i can do is modify the supplied bmp skins but with my own techniques. no different than anyone else ....but very different than anyone else!

SparrowThree
12-07-2004, 10:49 AM
I'm still waiting to be impressed.

StG77_Stuka
12-07-2004, 11:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Now to state it more properly, I have tested one of the skins from the 4f4 atlantic version and I was able to modify it with my texhniques and it looks fantastic!!!!!! so there is no problem with the polygon model showing the better detail of my techniques! So what i can do is modify the supplied bmp skins but with my own techniques. no different than anyone else ....but very different than anyone else! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those rivets and panel overlaps look incredible http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif! Hope to see these @ IL-2skins.com, soon! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Huckebein_UK
12-07-2004, 12:10 PM
In my opinion the panel lines and rivets are far too bold - they need to be toned doan a LOT. But that's just my taste. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kozhe
12-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Huh?

How do you access to the default skins? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Anyway... it looks the same to me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

serial_mike
12-07-2004, 12:48 PM
a couple of posts back i aplogized because the term default skins caused issue here.

the skins are the ones in the skins foldsr that come with the game.

I have been doing some looking around at pics of f4f and planes and if you close to the plane in real life you can see every rivit and panel and everything. probably in more detail than i am able to bring out.

I will soon post a shot of the f4f pre enhanced and post enhanced.

serial_mike
12-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Alrighty! Here are the pics!

Default F4F Atlantic

http://www.allsportgamer.com/webpics/f4fat2.jpg

Enhanced High Detail

http://www.allsportgamer.com/webpics/f4fat.jpg

SparrowThree
12-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Have you bothered to look at any of the skins that are available on IL2 skins? They are far more than PS filters applied to other folks hard work.

Nothing to see here.

serial_mike
12-07-2004, 03:38 PM
well, sparrow.....

dont know what i ripped off from others. those are the default texturess that came with the game i purchased. therefore i am 100 percent free to modify that in anyway i see fit and redistribute as long as it is free.

But if dont like the work you dont really have to be a as- about it. just move on. I think that others her do appreciate it. If they dont then sorry but IMO if you are like me and want to use the original game skins and want them to look sweet then well thats why I make what i make.

pourshot
12-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Some of you blokes can be a little harsh dont you think?

Ok what he's done is not a revolution in skining but you can see the details more clearly just as he stated, how about cutting him some slack.

Spinnetti
12-07-2004, 04:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by serial_mike:
I definatly hear ya.

I can tell you this. It will not cost single FPS 100 percent positive of this beyond the shadow of a doubt! It has been test in F1C,highheat04,mvp2004 among other titles and never once has it ever cost a single fps on any system.

All you would have to do is save you default (plane folder) and keep it in a safe place to swap if you needed to.

I dont really want to give away what i do but, The files are enhanced and since they are default no one using default planes would have to download anything during play becasue the game would say use f4f-3 void bmp and so it would be done.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks nice, but kinda looks like all you did was over-darken all the panel lines? - Not that I have skill at it mind you, but looks almost like a simple edge enhance filter. As someone suggested, a before and after would be nice to compare.. Keep up the good work...

ianboys
12-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Looks like the one light, one dark shadow rivet that people have been doing for years.

Nice skins but nothing new.

madgett
12-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Mike that skinning is great, keep doing what your doing. What your doing by posting your work on this forum will definitely promote higher res skins for the next patches of the game. If Oleg doesn't like the fact of accepting work from others other than the paid game skinners in upcoming patches then im sure that they will do something to enhance skins graphically and thus we all benefit either way.

serial_mike
12-07-2004, 05:01 PM
I will continue to do what it is that i do because io like it. If enough people want em i will post them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

and there is alot more to what i do then simple darkening of lines or color enhancing.

serial_mike
12-07-2004, 06:36 PM
the F4F-4 Pack is up at il2skins

you might have to do a search on f4f as i didnt see it on the front page yet. but it is there.

F4F-4 HD by of course serialmike

next up i am going to redo the fw190a-4 set.
I will be fixing the color blothes a bit plus adding as much effect as i can. these were older but there was a request!

Chuck_Older
12-07-2004, 07:05 PM
I gotta say a couple things

1) Mike did step up to bat and say he was mistaken, which many folks here would never do

2) Extreme_One is not attacking anybody. Simon does a lot of work here, and he knows a thing or two about a thing or two. He said what he felt he had to say to make sure there was zero confusion about what is going on and to clarify the whole 'default' misunderstanding. I also know that Simon would not simply 'kiss up' to anyone with a hollow compliment. The man has no need to.

ianboys
12-08-2004, 01:55 AM
Hi Mike,

Here's a link to your skins on il2skins.com

http://www.il2skins.com/?action=display&skinid=17022&ts=1102498291&camefrom=top5

catahoulak9
12-08-2004, 08:05 AM
Thanks Mike, I like your enhancements. Hope to see more in the near future.

actionhank1786
12-08-2004, 08:13 AM
I personally don't really see a screenshot in the above images.
What am i looking for?
To me it just looks like the Panel lines are darker and the riveting looks...different.

serial_mike
12-08-2004, 08:49 AM
hank,

I had stated this earlier but i will reiterate. now this is not meant to be taken in offence by any means. But just as some people do not care or cant really see the difference in a higher quality telivision or some cant see that one camera takes better pictures than another. the same applies here. the plane in pic one is much more blurred than pic two. that is why you can see the details off the rivits. the panel lines are not just darker but are shaded giving a three dimensional depth to them. chowin g that the elevation in panel is different. this to me and I think others gives a look much more like its a real object than the first blurred image. to me the blurred image without the 3d enhancements looks like a shape with wrapping paper on it which is really what it is. I have added clarity and shape and form to a flat wrapping paper. or at least tried. I know not everyone will like it. if fact becaue of the eye that i have and not many others do i dont expect alot to like it. but I do know that a select few with a very keen eye will like these alot.

again not an attack at all.

Extreme_One
12-10-2004, 05:30 AM
If you wan't to belive you are doing something better than all of the other skinners that have been doing this a lot longer than you have - then that's fine - just don't argue when others try to explain that's not the case.

And as Chuck_Older kindly pointed out - I wasn't and aren't attacking you - I'm actually trying to make you look less like an arrogant know-all.

Maasi
12-10-2004, 06:21 AM
Hmmmm i didn´t notice any "arrogant know it all" attitude in his postings, c´mon give him a break, did he step on someones toes or why such harsh attitude? I think they are nice skins.

BSR_Dude
12-10-2004, 07:27 AM
Those of you that are attacking him are really cutting your own throats. I can't see why he'd be motivated to be a part of a community that has members that act that way.

He wasn't trying to b.s. anyone.

oddlegs
12-10-2004, 08:56 AM
'Special process' or not, as an ex-RAF airframe fitter I can tell you that rivets do not have 2inch dia. heads! I realise that they can't be made any smaller - already one pixel only -, so why bother to emphasise such out of scale detail. Subtle is best. You have only to look at the work of the best skinners to realise that.

rummyrum
12-10-2004, 09:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oddlegs:
'Special process' or not, as an ex-RAF airframe fitter I can tell you that rivets do not have 2inch dia. heads! I realise that they can't be made any smaller - already one pixel only -, so why bother to emphasise such out of scale detail. Subtle is best. You have only to look at the work of the best skinners to realise that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the man wan'ts to make the rivets 10 inches in diameter that is his perrogative. You guys can be very rude at times and remind me of why many folks are turned off from this place.

serial_mike
12-10-2004, 01:42 PM
really dont want to be an as_ about this .... but...

I already said if you dont like the skins dont use it and move along. if you do then improvement suggestions would be helpful.

"ex-RAF airframe fitter" so you are round 80 yrs old? and your memory is better than the pics...or?

" so why bother to emphasise such out of scale detail" out of scale to you...not to me and others like me that want the planes to look as close to these pics as possible.

http://www.allsportgamer.com/webpics/detail.jpg

http://www.allsportgamer.com/webpics/detail2.jpg

http://www.allsportgamer.com/webpics/detail3.jpg

oddlegs
12-10-2004, 03:52 PM
No offence intended, all positive contributions to this community are welcome, particularly if you feel you're doing something to improve skin appearance. Your pictures do however show the rivets smaller than the game skin rivets, and I don't mean the quick release fasteners on the cowls. As I stated, because this is a limitation of the skin resolution in game, I simply beleive it best not to over emphasise this. But then, each to their own, and expect a little stick from us 'know it alls' - we can't help it y'know.
As for my age....not quite that old, but I do recall the last Spits being taken out of service in '51..... have a good Christmas
rivets1 (http://www.picturesfree.org/wwii-fk/0267.jpg)rivets2 (http://www.picturesfree.org/wwii-fk/0271.jpg)rivets3 (http://www.picturesfree.org/wwii-fk/0279.jpg)rivets4 (http://www.picturesfree.org/wwii-fk/0301.jpg)rivets5 (http://www.picturesfree.org/wwii-fk/0414.jpg)

Willi_Wombat
12-10-2004, 05:03 PM
The second pic above is of a model. Models have exaggerated rivets many times, as in this case.

Okay, in summation:

1- be nice to visitors,
2- there is nothing special to see here,
3- yes, he's turning flush rivets into large round-head rivets
4- the new guy will understand 2 and 3 soon,

move along now.

WW

gooner1
12-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Cant you just save a skin as default.bmp and the sim will use that?

oddlegs
12-11-2004, 01:49 AM
If you try to save a skin as 'default' the game re-names it 'default.bmp'. The game still produces a 'default' skin from the the innards

russianfish
12-11-2004, 02:16 AM
Hey Serial Mike I've enjoyed your MODs from HH and MVP for a few years now Great work BTW!

I think your aircraft skins are ok. I know it has been mentioned a 1,000 times in this thread but go to il2 skins and look at everything! There are some near picture perfect skins that will blow you away and quite a few that used a simuliar techniqe that you used. I think That there is where the rub is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Remember this sim has been around along time, And alot has been done. Take inventory and blow us away!

Looking forward to the spring season, Hope you don't get to wrapped up in this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Spinnetti
12-11-2004, 07:44 AM
why must people give thier two cents in an attack like manner then back off with a comment like cant wait to see your work. you must understand this...
I came here with intentions of making some things look better as i have for yrs in many other games.
I made a mistake not knowing that there was an issue with the default skins. I had no idea!

It was an accident that i apologized for.

Now to state it more properly, I have tested one of the skins from the 4f4 atlantic version and I was able to modify it with my texhniques and it looks fantastic!!!!!! so there is no problem with the polygon model showing the better detail of my techniques! So what i can do is modify the supplied bmp skins but with my own techniques. no different than anyone else ....but very different than anyone else! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The real issue is that you jumped into the forums making big claims (bragging - Which is never cool)when there are a lot of people here who have already done great things. I'm guessing you are just young, and don't understand human nature that well yet. Its no big deal, but as a learning experience, when joining something you would be better off just looking around and learning before you try to show off. Then, when you do contribute something, just put it out there - don't brag. If its good, people will come to you and tell you you are doing a nice job. If folks don't like it they won't pick on you because you didn't claim your work was great... Simple life lessons... Have fun, and I hope you enjoy the sim like the rest of us...

Cheers,

Chuck_Older
12-11-2004, 08:16 AM

"ex-RAF airframe fitter" so you are round 80 yrs old? and your memory is better than the pics...or?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't confuse "Ex-RAF frame fitter" with "WWII veteran"

Many of the planes used in WWII were used after the war. He doesn't have to be an octogenarian to have seen these things first-hand.

Some of the 'rivets' you show in these pics are actually removable; not all of them, of course, but some may seem to be rivets, but in fact are re-usable fasteners. For example, on the cowling pic you show; those cowl panels are not rivetted. They are a type of screw fastener, and are larger than rivets

serial_mike
12-11-2004, 08:46 AM
Wow, time to find a new community with uh......some courtesy. Farewell.

Copperhead310th
12-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Wow, time to find a new community with uh......some courtesy. Farewell. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez Nice Job guys. wonderfull! bravo.
Poor guy made a mistake and just didn't know beter. Not even i can be as big of an @sshole as some of you guys were to this guy. and that's saying a LOT. the man made a simple Noobie mistake and appologized for it.

Honestly Simon i expected better from you being a piller of the community. this whole eposode was bad. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Maasi
12-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Yup this isn´t nice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gifSeen this kind of behauvior only Ion storms Deus ex/thief forum and never bother to go there again. I was thinking that Sim guys are "little older" and have some manners, seems to me that in certain cases this isn´t so. Maybe i should go too, only 20 or something posts, no fancy pictures in my posts i´m noob don´t know anything, worthless...

Chuck_Older
12-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Some folks were a little out of line with Mike.

In all honesty, Mike was being a bit, well, odd. he knows his away around some games and how they are made, quite obviously. he does mods for some of them.

But he comes by, and makes his claims, folks like me mention that he needs to make sure of what he's doing, and he realises he's made a mistake.

He says he's mistaken. I gave him credit for that.

This whole thing with Extreme_One is blown out of proportion. There's no need even for an explanation.

There were some responses here that weren't so nice. there were others, too, that simply discussed what was being done, and are assumed to be mean.

But also, Mike himself did a little of the 'less than courteous' routine. he wasn't particularly confrontational, or anything, but I do think he went off half-cocked with his posts and descriptions of what he was doing. Also, his response to somebody who has real experience with these planes wasn't called for. I don't know if his last post was because what I posted, but again; that wasn't mean, it was just a point I made, and it's true. Mike had no call to suggest that first hand experience was inferior to his guesses because somebody *might* be old, which is his assumption.

I suppose my input in this thread is also seen as negative.

I would invite anyone who thinks that to consider this question for a moment:

If Mike is so knowledgeable about how various games work, enough so that he skins and does mods for other games, why was he so sloppy in doing any research into this at all? He should know that, first off, changing things of this nature in other games is not the same as changing them in this one, and that having no problems with those other games is not proof that this one will not have problems. I mean, that's silly. Some folks really did think he was changing default skins. he also kept on touting his skins as being ultra-realistic. Well that's all fine and good, but that is his opinion. If somebody points that out and Mike doesn't like it, that means the comment was mean? No. His skins are good skins; but not the best in my opinion. Fury, LeadSpitter, CanonUK and Hammerd leave him in the dust as far as I'm concerned. But his assertion that his skins are superior based on his admitted lack of experience with Il2FB is a bit arrogant.

he also said that somebody called him a liar..I cannot find anyone who did.

I think before the emotional verdict of "wow you guys were so mean", you guys should go and read this thread carefully. Some things sure did smell fishy. there was a fair amount of misunderstanding involved too, but something was not quite kosher with this whole thing. Don't be so quick to judge on either side of the issue

Maasi
12-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Right, but maybe the moderators could put some order in this kind of situations? In my few days here i have already seen people with different wiews been called ******, disgrace to their country etc. very mature indeed, or is the only situations where moderators show up when somebody have nerve to complaint about something in the game? I don´t mean that moderators should put some people instatly to spend some vacation time on the isla laBANNanas, but maybe a few words when somebody is called ****** eh?

Chuck_Older
12-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Someone was called a ****** or a disgrace to their country in this thread?

I must have missed it. let me read it again

Maasi
12-11-2004, 04:21 PM
NOT in this thread, and yes read again, i wrote "in my few days here" meaning i read those in other threads, but if you want to be wiseguy then be my guest.

Chuck_Older
12-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Nobody was called a ****** or a disgrace to their country in this thread, unless it has been editted out.

I did however find thwo instance of Mike being highly defensive and accusing people of both calling him a liar- which nobody did, and saying that he was ripping something off- again, an accusation nobody made of him.

I am sorry to say that Mike did as much to promote the rift between himself and others as they did to him. Luckily, life goes on http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Chuck_Older
12-11-2004, 04:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maasi:
NOT in this thread, and yes read again, i wrote "in my few days here" meaning i read those in other threads, but if you want to be wiseguy then be my guest. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, this is exactly what happened in this thread.

You have made up your mind that I am making fun of you or something, and I am not. You have jumped to a conclusion, and now you are getting defensive abaout something you assume I'm doing. I'm not being a wiseguy at all. If I wanted to insult or taunt you, I have quite a vocabulary. I had thought we were talking about this. If I misunderstood you, or you think I did, the thing to say is "you didn't get what i said, i think", not "go ahead and be a wiseguy".

This is an excellent example of what happened with serial_mike

Maasi
12-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Yes my apologies about that wiseguy thing, no i´m not thinking you are making fun of me, i realized that when you posted your next one, and yes i didn´t get what you said. I did mean that i have run quite bad behaviour in other threads that´s all, but that is no excuse to start to be an *** myself http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif I think my english isn´t so good and that may cause some misunderstandigs(is that real word) too?

Chuck_Older
12-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Yes it is a real word.

No need for apologies, I thought it was a misunderstanding

You speak English about as well as most college educated and degreed mechanical engineers I work with in the USA, which is to say it's not quite perfect, but I can understand almost everything you say easily

serial_mike
12-11-2004, 06:21 PM
i went back and read thruu the thread. not sure bout the liar thing there either.

one thing yuou guys must understand about me. I get a game and every once in a while, a long while i fall in love with one enough that i want to improve it make it better and be part of it in a bigger way than just playing. This is one of those titles.
The biggest thing that happened here was I calkled something that came with the game default...in every game that I ever bought modeed or whatever if it came on the disc it is default.

This was a grave error on my part. as we all now know default means "untouchable skins" with this title. my slip cause near riot conditions....who is this noob how can it be he can do the impossible....is he the lord is he the oracle! the answer...no he made a mistake, an honest mistake because of enthusiasm.

I love my hd skins and well wont apologize for defending thier worth and my ambitious excitement. what i dont understand is why everyone thinks i said my skins were better than anything else by any other author. I never said this. not once. never even eluded to how mine was better than some other skin by another. Hell i am no graphic artist I am just a guy that knows how to do some things with paint programs and has some decent computer skilss that at least in the other titles the people loved. I was just trying to do the same here.

Extreme_One
12-12-2004, 03:22 AM
...I love my hd skins and well wont apologize for defending thier worth and my ambitious excitement. what i dont understand is why everyone thinks i said my skins were better than anything else by any other author. I never said this. not once. never even eluded to how mine was better than some other skin by another. Hell i am no graphic artist I am just a guy that knows how to do some things with paint programs and has some decent computer skilss that at least in the other titles the people loved. I was just trying to do the same here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough then. I for one see that as a genuine heartfelt retraction - although retraction isn't exactly the word I'm looking for.

I read the early posts by serial_mike and to me they came across as arrogant. It seems that I misinterpreted them (but I'm not the only one) and they were at worst clumsy in the exceitemnt he was feeling.

I suppose there are many of us that have been guilty of that before.

Perhaps I (and others) were somewhat bullish but that was also a display of passion for the sim and this community.

This place has become a victim of trolling all too often in the past and perhaps because of that some of us are always slightly suspicious of someone who comes in and claims to be able to do things that others can't.
That said - at no point was I discourteous - anyone who thinks I was should maybe re-read my posts and think again. I was polite and to the point - not rude!

If serial_mike feels I was rude to him then I appologise for not making myself clearer - that wasn't my intention.

I think that it would be a shame if this episode cost us a potentially valuable member of the community.

serial_mike
12-12-2004, 07:52 AM
forgive and forget, move on!

I wasa upset...probably for misinterpreting what was written just as much as i was misundestood about what i had written.

All is forgotten at least by me.

Willi_Wombat
12-12-2004, 07:57 AM
Die totally lame thread, DIE!

serial_mike
12-12-2004, 10:54 AM
willie=rude for sure

Obi_Kwiet
12-12-2004, 10:57 AM
IBTL

Chuck_Older
12-12-2004, 01:45 PM
willie=rude for sure <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously. Way to stick your foot in it, Willi. Remind me to comment on every thread you're part of.