PDA

View Full Version : Ditched AI formation takeoff ?

tomtheyak
11-27-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi guys,

Back when we were expecting 4.01 and the masses eagerly awaited the new flight model and clouds and such I remember seeing a screen shot that paticularly struck a chord with me...
It was a group of A-20s lined up on an airfield runway preparing to T/O but instead of the usual one after the other they were arranged in staggered elements and it looked so much like they had modified the T/O routine to cater for a more accurate (for fighters at least) element formation takeoff.

Am I:

a) Right, but it wasnt included,

b) Reading too much into a development screenie,

OR

c) Imagining this entire episode completely and since I am clearly allowing the lines between reality, Virtuality and my dream world to blur to such an awesome extent that commital to a psychiatric ward is my only hope?

Answers welcome, but I might eat your dog.

tomtheyak
11-27-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi guys,

Back when we were expecting 4.01 and the masses eagerly awaited the new flight model and clouds and such I remember seeing a screen shot that paticularly struck a chord with me...
It was a group of A-20s lined up on an airfield runway preparing to T/O but instead of the usual one after the other they were arranged in staggered elements and it looked so much like they had modified the T/O routine to cater for a more accurate (for fighters at least) element formation takeoff.

Am I:

a) Right, but it wasnt included,

b) Reading too much into a development screenie,

OR

c) Imagining this entire episode completely and since I am clearly allowing the lines between reality, Virtuality and my dream world to blur to such an awesome extent that commital to a psychiatric ward is my only hope?

Answers welcome, but I might eat your dog.

danjama
11-27-2005, 06:30 PM
None of the above! It was probably someones custom campaign/mission pics!

mortoma
11-27-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm going to venture a guess, it was probably just a screenie of specially built mission by the developers. I have now been in many offline campaigns where I have taken off from very wide airstrips. Myself and the AI have always been lined up in a follow the leader row, I think they call it 'line abreast'. The way it's been ever since the original IL2 game came out. I think the game engine can only handle one plane taking off from one airbase at a time.

tomtheyak
11-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Hmmm, i was kinda hoping they'd make the change - would be way cool - I do it already if I'm wingy to an AI, just that, like my trying to sleep in a single bed with my girlfriend, they hog all the space!

Tho AI are more generous with duvet sharing...

LEXX_Luthor
11-27-2005, 09:37 PM
I think I saw that screenshot too now that you mention it. I think that is used on carriers and Test Runways, but do NOT allow multiple takeoffs at the same time, but each aircraft takes off singly from its position in the tight grouping.

If you like, using FMB, you can easily make AI takeoff in formation side by side on open ground by dragging or the takeoff waypoint off the airfield by 15km or more, and making sure its a WIDE flat open ground area (the AI planes extend several hundred meters side by side although staggered back also). Too close to the airfield and the planes take off from the airfield and in one at at time.

One problem this causes is that some planes require Official FB advanced airfield to start engines, and these won't be able to take off when placed far from airfield. This is supposed to represent external engine starting equipment not grafically modded for planes that required such. These planes include ...

Of course, naturally, the -321 also cannot start any engines while away from Official FB advanced airfields or the more primitive test runways. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The solution here is to place a Test Runway (use the invisible TR4) near the takeoff point. The Test Runways are equipped with external starters. Thus, we have the ability to make primitive airfields we can place in any suitably flat spot. Note the Kurland map has absolutely NO AIRFIELDS outside the little dogfight box, thus making Test Runways essential unless most of the map is never used. In fact, I prefer the rather primitive Test Runways instead of Official FB advanced airfields because we can place them where needed in a campaign.

Tully__
11-27-2005, 10:28 PM
It was a "test runway". You can find them in the Full Mission Builder in the Ships and in the Stationary Ships menus. There's a couple of threads in the Mission Builder Forum on the tricks to getting the most out of them.