PDA

View Full Version : Can on-board sound effect PF gameplay?

Clan_Graham
11-11-2004, 02:51 PM
I have upper-middle class on-board sound on my computer and I was wondering if having on-board sound can hamper PF in any way.

Just how important is a good sound card to making PF run well?
Please keep in mind that I am talking about playability and not immersion.

Sould I run out and get SoundBlaster Audigy or something like it?

Thanks all.

Clan_Graham
11-11-2004, 02:51 PM
I have upper-middle class on-board sound on my computer and I was wondering if having on-board sound can hamper PF in any way.

Just how important is a good sound card to making PF run well?
Please keep in mind that I am talking about playability and not immersion.

Sould I run out and get SoundBlaster Audigy or something like it?

Thanks all.

Supr
11-11-2004, 03:36 PM
unless you have soundstorm on board, a new soundcard will help you quite a bit. Go disable your sound and see how much it improves your fps. If you get a nice gain, a good sound card should let you keep most of those new found fps. Good luck

crazyivan1970
11-11-2004, 04:16 PM
As Supr mentioned, the only decent on-board sound is nVidia SoundStorm, others pretty much trouble and resource hog.

IHI.OuTcAsT
11-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Actually, if you don't enable hardware acceleration the resource hog is the same, as with any other card (You have AC97 or Audigy 2 it is the same), NO HARDWARE ACCELERATION = NO HARDWARE MIXING = SOFTWARE MIXING. So in SW Mixing the card only plays only one stream, and the rest of the job goes to the CPU.

Of course quality of the sounds on onboards is worse generally.

Nige_Reconman
11-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Onboard sound uses the cpu to decocde/process/encode so it does give you a performance hit.

A plug in card configured correctly will get you far better sound in games.