PDA

View Full Version : Shame about making the game dutch

marctolboom
11-26-2009, 05:39 AM
Hi, my name is Marc, i am from the Netherlands and i had to get this of my chest:

I just completed Assassin's Creed II story line, i loved it! Alltough one thing has been irritating me from the start! Why did Ubisoft had to release the game in the netherlands with only the dutch language inplemented, all actions and things are in Dutch, i like to play games in English, as most of us do! (i think) You could have atleast given us the option to choose english!

marctolboom
11-26-2009, 05:39 AM
Hi, my name is Marc, i am from the Netherlands and i had to get this of my chest:

I just completed Assassin's Creed II story line, i loved it! Alltough one thing has been irritating me from the start! Why did Ubisoft had to release the game in the netherlands with only the dutch language inplemented, all actions and things are in Dutch, i like to play games in English, as most of us do! (i think) You could have atleast given us the option to choose english!

KZarr
11-26-2009, 06:01 AM
Hi marctolboom and welcome to the forums!

If you're playing the game on 360 you can change the language of the console to English which will also change the in-game language to English.

marctolboom
11-26-2009, 06:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">f you're playing the game on 360 you can change the language of the consol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
my xbox is allready in engish. but i will check if i have missed something.

thnx

ps
i see, i had locale set on The Netherlands i changed that now, wonder if it will work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nosferati
11-26-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm dutch too, and the game is indeed in dutch (even though my xbox is set to english), it seems to be a trend for the new games to be in dutch, which is disappionting, especially because some of it is translated wrong.

Locked for example is translated with "afgesloten", which in the context the game uses it, would mean finished... aah well, can't change it I guess Would be lovely tho if a patch would allow us to change it.

marctolboom
11-26-2009, 06:54 AM
Noskun

I noticed after setting my 'Locale' to United Kingdrom the game is in english. Thanks to KZarr http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Indeed the translations could have been better. I was talking about that with a friend of mine. He was like: 'If the puzzles were in English, I would have been able to solve them' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif LOL

Nosferati
11-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Really? I have to try that

Edit: it works! Love ya dude/lass/unidentified creature that will take over the world

Cpt_Yanni
11-26-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm Belgian and I played the game in English with dutch subtitles without changing the language of my console ...

Coolgerb
11-26-2009, 09:53 AM
While this little problem is easily solved by changing our locale, it's not just AC2 that does this.

Developers seem to think we're just as lazy as most other Europeans nowadays, and don't want to read in English.

To all devs reading this, when you consider translating a game into Dutch, think of these points:

-Dutch is a crap language, it doesn't sound beautiful, at all. Hell, it often sounds better when a Belgian speaks it. But in text it is always worse than English.

-We Dutch people are used to having to adapt, as we have been traders (read: VOC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_East_India_Company)) for centuries now. Speaking another language is pretty natural for us.

Eckerr
11-26-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm from Belgium too, and please do me a favor: stop complaining! It's just fantastic that Ubisoft gives you the OPTION to play the game in your native language. I'm pretty good at English, but it's much easier for me (and my younger sister) if I can follow the story in my own native language.

It seems like there will always be people who complain without reason, I repeat: it's optional! And it's not Ubisoft's fault that you don't know how to change it...

Thanks Ubi for all the effort to localise the game, so everybody is able to enjoy it!

Coolgerb
11-26-2009, 11:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eckerr:
I'm from Belgium too, and please do me a favor: stop complaining! It's just fantastic that Ubisoft gives you the OPTION to play the game in your native language. I'm pretty good at English, but it's much easier for me (and my younger sister) if I can follow the story in my own native language.

It seems like there will always be people who complain without reason, I repeat: it's optional! And it's not Ubisoft's fault that you don't know how to change it...

Thanks Ubi for all the effort to localise the game, so everybody is able to enjoy it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The game is meant for a mature audience. I assume every adult in the Netherlands and Belgium is able to speak English.

Eckerr
11-26-2009, 11:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coolgerb:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eckerr:

Thanks Ubi for all the effort to localise the game, so everybody is able to enjoy it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The game is meant for a mature audience. I assume every adult in the Netherlands and Belgium is able to speak English. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Are you serious? You really don't have any idea about the amount of people that don't master enough English skills to follow a storyline. A big part of people who studied BSO (Belgium form of education), for example. And I also even know a large amount of people who studied ASO (Latin etc.) that don't master the English language very well.

I still don't get how you can be against an OPTION. If you don't like it, change it, that's the nice thing about options...

Ternauwies
11-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Strange, my PS3 is set to english too and the game is not in Dutch on my playstation. Every game I insert is always in english, subtitles and audio (like uncharted 2 even when there is dutch audio and sub available). I hate translations in dutch, even my windows is installed in english.

Victoroos
11-26-2009, 01:20 PM
On the pc , you are going to able to install it in english with allt he subtitle in english to righ??