Hi.

Which is the best spit in the game?

OMK_Hand
09-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Subjective.

The one you have available?

VW-IceFire
09-17-2006, 12:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jolulure:
Hi.

Which is the best spit in the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How are you defining best?

Best firepower? Best top speed? Best handling? In WWII air combat there are no "Best" anything...thats only true in an arcade game. WWII aircraft are compromises. Which attribute are you most interested in?

I mean, for instance, the Spitfire XIV (not in game) is the best for top speed and for climb rate. It far exceeds other types of Spitfires and is either equal to or better than most opponents. But it doesn't have the best firepower of the Spitfire line nor does it have the best handling of the Spitfire line. The best handling goes to the Mark II (not in game) or Mark V (in-game in several versions). Even within the Mark V, there are certain variants of that type that have better handling than others (by handling I mean easy to throw into a turn, least amount of rudder trim required, easy to roll and loop, etc.).

leitmotiv
09-17-2006, 12:32 PM
My favorite Spitfire isn't in the game---it is the delightful Real Air XIV. I've never flown any virtual WWII aircraft so nimble, so responsive, and so powerful. It was truly a masterpiece if it was like this model.

jolulure
09-17-2006, 01:47 PM
I want airspeed, turning time, and high quantities of ammo. For instance, which one is better? Vb or VIII? cos in Hardball's Aircraft Viewer VIII is better, but in others Vb.

jolulure
09-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Forgot to say thanks for your replys! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Art-J
09-17-2006, 02:53 PM
I only fly Spits on rare occasions, but I'm pretty sure that:
a) "airspeed" --&gt; VIII is better (more powerful engine and retracted tailwheel);
b) "quantities of ammo" --&gt; VIII is better (have no idea about MGs, but cannon ammo load is about twice bigger);
c) "turning time" - I don't know. V is lighter... but VIII is more powerful, which is important in sustained turn. Eh, You gotta ask someone more experienced in Spits than me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Cheers - Art

OMK_Hand
09-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Really, it all depends. Bearing in mind the superb initial design:
The mark V is a wonderful plane, Fast and manoeuvrable, right up to the point in time where it was outclassed by the opposition. From then on each mark was a step-up in power, generally sacrificing manoeuvrability for retaining overall superiority compared to the contemporary opposition. But it's all relative. Even an 'poor manouvering' late spitfire is manouverable compared to other types of aeroplane.

So - Which is best? From a sheer joy of flying point of view, the Mk V does it for me.
From a winning the fight point of view, I would want the most up to date mark compared to the opponent.

VW-IceFire
09-17-2006, 03:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jolulure:
I want airspeed, turning time, and high quantities of ammo. For instance, which one is better? Vb or VIII? cos in Hardball's Aircraft Viewer VIII is better, but in others Vb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Unfortunately you can't quite have all of that but as far as what is available in this sim the best for those qualities are:

Airspeed: Spitfire Mark IXc +25lb boost
Turning Time: Spitfire Mark Vb LF (standard wings)
Ammo/Firepower: Spitfire Mark Vc 4 cannon

Please note that all 'c' type armament options contain 120 rounds in each of the cannons. The four cannon is included in this so it has 120 rounds in each of the four cannons. Standard 'c' type loadouts have 120 rounds but only in 2 cannons and the rest are .303 machine guns (which are mostly worthless).

You may want to have a look out for the Spitfire IXe which has 140 rounds per cannon and about 200 rounds in each of the .50cal machine guns. This is probably the next best armament option after the Vc 4 cannon.

The Mark IX and VIII models are not as nice handling as the Mark V but they offer better top speed and climb rate at the overall expense of manueverability. The IX and VIII take longer to manuever than the V does...particularly in changing direction and pitching into a turn.

There isn't much difference between the IX and VIII model except that the VIII is a bit stronger and better able to dive. Its slightly more streamlined (retactable tail wheel) as well.

All of the war time Spitfires basically have the same turn rate. But the heavier ones are much more difficult to keep wheeling around in that turn. The IX and VIII aren't too bad...the XIV if we ever got it in game would be considerably more difficult.

tigertalon
09-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi.

Which is the best spit in the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They all are.

WOLFMondo
09-18-2006, 07:15 AM
I prefer the VIII. I wish it had the 'E' wing though. Don't like those .303's. Waste of space. If I had the option I'd remove them.

Von_Rat
09-18-2006, 09:27 AM
please insert noob plane remark here,,___________________,,

Brain32
09-18-2006, 09:47 AM
MkVIII is my favourite. IXe's are nice too. 25'er is http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

VW-IceFire
09-18-2006, 03:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Von_Rat:
please insert noob plane remark here,,___________________,, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There are no noob planes...just pilots.

jolulure
09-19-2006, 01:32 AM
thanks everybody! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

im not a noob, its my second year playing this game, but still havent chosen any favourite plane!! and havent still started any campaing, just quick missions!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

thanks

WOLFMondo
09-19-2006, 02:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Von_Rat:
please insert noob plane remark here,,___________________,, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gustav always has a few colourful remarks I could think off to put in there.

VW-IceFire
09-19-2006, 04:32 PM
thanks everybody! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

im not a noob, its my second year playing this game, but still havent chosen any favourite plane!! and havent still started any campaing, just quick missions!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't worry...my remark was not intended for you. Tons of people fly the Spitfire and they, by watching them fly, are obviously hideously bad pilots who are using an excellent aircraft like the Spitfire as a crutch.

I'm a fan of the Spitfire (I own a small library of books on the aircraft) and while I don't often fly it...I can appreciate when someone flies it properly and flies it well. Try and do both...spend some time with it or whatever plane you tend to prefer and KNOW it. Know what the best power bands are, where the best altitudes for fighting are, when it overspeeds, every shudder, shake, and stall. It takes time but its worth it.

Kernow
09-20-2006, 10:52 AM
...but still havent chosen any favourite plane!! ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Keep flying as many as you can even if you do end up with one or two you fly more often. Fly as many as possible as often as you can, so that you'll 'know your enemy.'

As for Spits, a lot has been said already: Mk.V turns tightest; the 25-lber is fastest, followed by the other Mk.IXs. My favourite is the LF.Mk.IX(CW). The 'LF' is a relative term and it performs well up to 20 000 ft and more. The slight reduction in turn rate due to the clipped wings is a very small price to pay for a much improved roll-rate, which is far more useful when B&Zing anyway and this Spit is great for that.

jolulure
09-20-2006, 12:16 PM
thank men! u could make the pope use this sim! u are quite motivatin!

thanks... i think im gonna leave spit, its far too good, and seems to win every single fight online, and sometimes i like loosing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif
lol...im just ****.

see ya