PDA

View Full Version : The "ups and downs" of IL2

Worf101
07-03-2007, 05:37 AM
It's been "up and down" lately online with me and IL2. I recently went through a "bad patch" of flying. I wasn't ground-pounding particularly well and my dog fighting? Well it was for the dogs I was not much more than a flying target up there. Everytime someone got on my 6 I immediately would panic and go into TnB mode irregardless of the steed I was flying or the sit-rep.

Seemed like I had Crazy-Ivan in my rear view so much I shoulda charged him rent. After one particularly bad night I was ready to chuck the whole damn thing for a while. Chite I wasn't doin anyone any good up there, just takin' up space and getting shot down. I left a Coop one night in disgust swearing I was done.

I don't know if it was pride, hubris, or embarrasment and shame, but I don't "volunteer" to do a thing only to do it badly. I wouldn't have joined the 99th if I thought I was just gonna stink up the joint.

Thankfully, as in real life I suppose, my squaddies talked me in off the ledge. I guess we all go through bad times on here. "Bearcat", "Rockstar", "WindDancer", "Snake" and others reminded me that team mates pick each other up, that's the strength of a squad. So I stuck it out and sure enough the last week or so's been "glorious", not because I'm waxing guy's butts up there but because I'm groundpounding with skill again and helping my squad get the wins against stiff live opposition.

Last night Starbo, Stalker and I used our A-20's to maximum effect. It was a satisfying treat to park em "tip to tip" afterwards having done the job. The fighters took a beating, such was the caliber of the German live opposition but the bombers held up our end.

Same thing in a CooP of Aiments. It was an intricate bombing mission wherein the A-20's had to sink a bumch of destroyers, ALL 3 A-20's had to survive and we had to park in a certain place to get the win. All three things were done (I think, I know I got 2 Tin Cans with Torps) and I limped back chock full of holes my engines dying just as I pulled into the revetment.

Never seen anyone so happy. Aiment said that he'd never survived that mission, much less beaten it, but he did and we did. It felt good to be useful again, it felt good to contribute. Next time I get the "IL-2 Blues" hopefully I'll remember these last few nights and realize that the wheel will turn again.

Da Worfster

Worf101
07-03-2007, 05:37 AM
It's been "up and down" lately online with me and IL2. I recently went through a "bad patch" of flying. I wasn't ground-pounding particularly well and my dog fighting? Well it was for the dogs I was not much more than a flying target up there. Everytime someone got on my 6 I immediately would panic and go into TnB mode irregardless of the steed I was flying or the sit-rep.

Seemed like I had Crazy-Ivan in my rear view so much I shoulda charged him rent. After one particularly bad night I was ready to chuck the whole damn thing for a while. Chite I wasn't doin anyone any good up there, just takin' up space and getting shot down. I left a Coop one night in disgust swearing I was done.

I don't know if it was pride, hubris, or embarrasment and shame, but I don't "volunteer" to do a thing only to do it badly. I wouldn't have joined the 99th if I thought I was just gonna stink up the joint.

Thankfully, as in real life I suppose, my squaddies talked me in off the ledge. I guess we all go through bad times on here. "Bearcat", "Rockstar", "WindDancer", "Snake" and others reminded me that team mates pick each other up, that's the strength of a squad. So I stuck it out and sure enough the last week or so's been "glorious", not because I'm waxing guy's butts up there but because I'm groundpounding with skill again and helping my squad get the wins against stiff live opposition.

Last night Starbo, Stalker and I used our A-20's to maximum effect. It was a satisfying treat to park em "tip to tip" afterwards having done the job. The fighters took a beating, such was the caliber of the German live opposition but the bombers held up our end.

Same thing in a CooP of Aiments. It was an intricate bombing mission wherein the A-20's had to sink a bumch of destroyers, ALL 3 A-20's had to survive and we had to park in a certain place to get the win. All three things were done (I think, I know I got 2 Tin Cans with Torps) and I limped back chock full of holes my engines dying just as I pulled into the revetment.

Never seen anyone so happy. Aiment said that he'd never survived that mission, much less beaten it, but he did and we did. It felt good to be useful again, it felt good to contribute. Next time I get the "IL-2 Blues" hopefully I'll remember these last few nights and realize that the wheel will turn again.

Da Worfster

Xiolablu3
07-03-2007, 05:44 AM
Yeah man, I recently had a long break too, playing other games like STALKER and C&C3.

WHen I came back I realised I had forgotten how to dogfight completely. Just before I left I had been flying fast energy fighters constantly and now I was getting out turned by everythign and anything. I even had trouble outturning a 109F2 in a i16.

I am now absolutely useless in a SPitfire/turnfighter, but very good in a 109F4,Hellcat or FW190. Sure I can get a kill or two in a Spit, but I often die at the end of it because its hard ot escape anyone faster than you (most planes)

I Just find dogfighting so risky compared to zoooming down, letting him have it and zooming away. The onlyreal time Ill stick to a bandits tail is if he is about to kill a teammate.

I guess I need some more practice with the slower/better turning planes!

BrotherVoodoo
07-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Great times indeed last night Mr. Worf! You were tearing it up and rolling with soul. Much love man, glad your feeling on top again. See you tonite. =S=

"Seemed like I had Crazy-Ivan in my rear view so much I shoulda charged him rent. " .... LMAO!!!

MEGILE
07-03-2007, 11:55 AM
The solution is to be a legend in your own mind... that way you never have a down day, and can just laugh at the haters.

SeaFireLIV
07-03-2007, 11:58 AM
We all get that. I`ve had my mess ups where I wish I hadn`t bothered. I rememebr when I volunteered to lead a bunch of Mosquitoes over Norway and got us all royally lost. I felt like quitting for being so **** that night.

But you just gotta rememember everyone goes thru that. Get back on horse and carry on. As long as you try your best what more can be expected?

Failing that remember that it is actually a game and not worth allowing it to upset you overnight or overweek.

Xiolablu3
07-03-2007, 12:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:
The solution is to be a legend in your own mind... that way you never have a down day, and can just laugh at the haters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed 100% http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

BrotherVoodoo
07-03-2007, 12:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The solution is to be a legend in your own mind... that way you never have a down day, and can just laugh at the haters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said sir.

crazyivan1970
07-03-2007, 02:22 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif I didnt do it!!!

T_O_A_D
07-03-2007, 03:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I rememebr when I volunteered to lead a bunch of Mosquitoes over Norway and got us all royally lost. I felt like quitting for being so **** that night.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thsi reminds me of the chapter I read last night "Alone I fly" Where they flew and nearly landed on a German Base, narrowly escaping.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Seemed like I had Crazy-Ivan in my rear view so much I shoulda charged him rent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Are you trying to say CI is a poor shot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

marc_hawkins
07-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Still some time off doesn't hurt, I'm back now, flirting with online and as bad as ever but am liking it!

Bearcat99
07-03-2007, 05:40 PM
I have had siome very frustrating nights with this sim.. I have had nights where I couldnt get off the ground.. literally.. and nights where I could do no wrong.... However one thing that will always keep me coming back to Hyperlobby besides this fantastic sim.... is the men of the 99th.. some whom I have known for 6 going on 7 years.... To me that makes the bad nights more bearable.

Swivet
07-03-2007, 09:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Next time I get the "IL-2 Blues" hopefully I'll remember these last few nights and realize that the wheel will turn again.
Da Worfster </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes nothing like having those good nights where you can accomplish a long mission no matter what kind of beating your ship takes, you come home in one piece and can say FU to everything else, gotta take the good with the bad
We all have those nights Worf, and sometimes we need to "vent", it's cool man, were all bro's, But before ya pop that vein in the middle of that Klingon forehead try someTaiji (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1T81Jyp5w1k) Before and after each mission, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif Lord knows it helps me j/k, And if anyone stands in your way, you tear them a new A-hole, Redtail style! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Hydra454
07-04-2007, 01:52 AM
I can totally relate Worf.Just got back into the game after taking a year away from it.Since coming back I can't really remember why I left in the first place http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif