PDA

View Full Version : Optimal Engine Management ?

ytareh
12-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Ive asked before and not really had much luck.I know that there are certain 'sweet spots'/secret tips for running various planes eg the P51D loves to be ran at 50 inch boost /at 2750rpm (c 75% Prop Pitch) and will offer up 95% of performance at a fraction of the 'overheating'...also there has been a lot of talk about the Tempest giving a little extra if prop pitch is cut back in a dive .But where can one find out all this info in one place....are planes engines likely to respond closely to 'real life' ?If I find out what rpm gives max power (torque?) for a Merlin or DB601 will I see benefits trying to replicate this in IL2?In general is 100% prop pitch the way to go .Interestingly I was flying a Pe8 of all things in a server recently with another guy and by reducing Proppitch to 85% and using max throttle with rads open I was surging away from him massively.
Are the german planes 'too hard' to fly manual prop pitch?

ytareh
12-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Ive asked before and not really had much luck.I know that there are certain 'sweet spots'/secret tips for running various planes eg the P51D loves to be ran at 50 inch boost /at 2750rpm (c 75% Prop Pitch) and will offer up 95% of performance at a fraction of the 'overheating'...also there has been a lot of talk about the Tempest giving a little extra if prop pitch is cut back in a dive .But where can one find out all this info in one place....are planes engines likely to respond closely to 'real life' ?If I find out what rpm gives max power (torque?) for a Merlin or DB601 will I see benefits trying to replicate this in IL2?In general is 100% prop pitch the way to go .Interestingly I was flying a Pe8 of all things in a server recently with another guy and by reducing Proppitch to 85% and using max throttle with rads open I was surging away from him massively.
Are the german planes 'too hard' to fly manual prop pitch?

thefruitbat
12-05-2010, 12:00 PM
don't know for all planes, but for the P51 this has been useful to me over the years, I lifted it off these forums some time ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Take off: 1490HP at 3000rpm (~40"Hg)

(at 13k feet) 1590HP at 3000rpm at 61"Hg

(at 27K feet) 1370HP at 3000rpm-61"Hg

PLANE LIMITS:

Take off Max: 61" at 3000rpm
War Mergency: 67" at 3000rpm
Militray power: 61" at 3000rpm
Max continous: 46" at 2700rpm
Max Cruise: 42" at 2400rpm

OPERATING RANGE:

Manifold Pressure: 29-37"Hg

RPM: 1850-2320

MAX airspeed is 505MPH. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find that you can run at military power with the rads closed all day long, and its damn quick. In level flight it works out at about 99% throttle, and 95% pitch.

you reduce throttle to get the 61" of power, and then adjust prop pitch to get the rpm.