PDA

View Full Version : IL2 Tempest engine modelling whine

mynameisroland
07-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Why in IL2 does the Tempest have a WEP boost that you can engage? Shouldnt it have a WEP that performs like a P51 or a P47s where when you engage beyond 100% throttle the 'war emergency power' boost is engaged?

As it stands it currently has a huge performance gap between 100% and MAX % this is for an aircraft which didnt have a MW50 style boost or Water Injection or what not. Why should there be such a huge performance gap between engine settings ?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/mynameisroland/tempst.jpg

mynameisroland
07-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Why in IL2 does the Tempest have a WEP boost that you can engage? Shouldnt it have a WEP that performs like a P51 or a P47s where when you engage beyond 100% throttle the 'war emergency power' boost is engaged?

As it stands it currently has a huge performance gap between 100% and MAX % this is for an aircraft which didnt have a MW50 style boost or Water Injection or what not. Why should there be such a huge performance gap between engine settings ?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/mynameisroland/tempst.jpg

Viper2005_
07-25-2007, 07:29 PM
More to the point, why can't you attain max continuous boost/rpm without hitting said WEP button?

What about the rear view (or lack thereof)?

Have you ever investigated the relationship between the "book" engine performance limits and the in-game settings?

The P-51D has a V-1650-7 with a max continuous rating of 2700 rpm/+8 psi (46" Hg). Try setting those conditions at low level and you'll see power and prop pitch in the 70s.

(NB - this is how such aircraft are flown on the airshow circuit. It's a rather different experience from flogging the engines to death at WEP all the time!)

Now, pick a rating for the Tempest and compare...

HellToupee
07-25-2007, 10:14 PM
funny thing is wep seems to have little to no effect on the overheat, tempest will overheat with rads open at 110% wep off, but not at like say 95% wep on despite boost and rpm being higher.

mynameisroland
07-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I think that the WEP should be re modelled so that it functions like a proper 100% - 110% Emergency Power instead of a continous boost system. Its just a messy implementation of its engine FM. The Sabre should be producing a lot of HP at 98% without having to switch on the 'boost' Its just plain silly.

And its seems that the engine gets a huge HP hit if you dont have WEP engaged all of the time. What is the WEP function meant to simulate anyway on the IL2 Tempest?

faustnik
07-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Have you checked fuel consumption WEP on vs. WEP off?

The Tempest WEP feels to me like the Fw190 EN WEP. Maybe the system was just ported over to make things quick and easy???

mynameisroland
07-26-2007, 12:07 PM
The Fw 190 WEP and the MW50 system also have this huge disparity between 100% normal power and MAX WEP engaged power.

Id rather have something like the Yak or the P51 which seemingly give decent performance at high settings ie 95% without having any boost on.