PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I play FC anymore :(

goughandrew
08-18-2004, 05:32 AM
Sorry if i'm in the wrong place peeps, but don't know what else to try!
Specs as follows
Mobo ABit VT7 - latest bios updated
CPU P4 Presscott 2.8 (not o clocked) standard cooler
GPU Radeon 9600SE - latest catylst installed
PSU 450W
512MB DDR400 RAM
120GB SATA HDD
Onboard sound

All drivers / BIOS / directx upto date and working fine, OS is clean install of XP Pro and works well. Now the problem:

Since install, worked for 5 mins then crashed to Windoze, then after a while, crashed during game load, now crashes as soon as the menu screen opens!. Set all Gfx settings to min and it still happens. Any ideas?, posted my dxdiag to ubisoft over 2 weeks ago, and it's all gone quiet

goughandrew
08-18-2004, 05:32 AM
Sorry if i'm in the wrong place peeps, but don't know what else to try!
Specs as follows
Mobo ABit VT7 - latest bios updated
CPU P4 Presscott 2.8 (not o clocked) standard cooler
GPU Radeon 9600SE - latest catylst installed
PSU 450W
512MB DDR400 RAM
120GB SATA HDD
Onboard sound

All drivers / BIOS / directx upto date and working fine, OS is clean install of XP Pro and works well. Now the problem:

Since install, worked for 5 mins then crashed to Windoze, then after a while, crashed during game load, now crashes as soon as the menu screen opens!. Set all Gfx settings to min and it still happens. Any ideas?, posted my dxdiag to ubisoft over 2 weeks ago, and it's all gone quiet

forty7eddie
08-18-2004, 07:36 AM
first of all, what version fc are you running? second, when the game does run, its probably screaming for more ram, as far cry is very ram hungry. everything else on your system would make the game very playable, though i havent seen how a 9600se runs it. in any case it would sure beat the hell out of my 9200se, which gives me a perfectly playable game. another 512meg of ram would be good for you, if its too expensive, try for at least 256meg. youll see faster load times and less in-game hitches.

goughandrew
08-18-2004, 09:06 AM
The full version?, sorry, at work so I can't check, and I'm not sure what you mean ;O) I did patch it (1.2 if I remember correctly). I can't understand why it wont run full stop, like I mentioned, it wont even load the scrolling sequence on the main menu anymore, just crashes and asks if I want to send a report to M$?. With 512 it should at least run I would have thought :'(

forty7eddie
08-18-2004, 09:58 AM
your right it should run, fairly decent too. the only thing i could suggest is trying the 1.1 patch instead (obviously requiring you to uninstall patch 1.2). Don't know if you're aware or not, but while patch 1.2 fixes a number of problems, it also introduces several new ones. for me, i had no sound and the waves didn't lap onto the shore properly. maybe for you, the patch introduces a critical exception type thing. if you have the chance, while starting up the game, press alt-tab and see if there's another program running that says critical exception. ive seen this happen, and since it's in the background, it seems like the game just randomly crashes to the desktop when there actually is an error message. another option would be to run the game in a windowed mode so you can see programs that "aren't on top". hope it helps.

KiwiVenge
08-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Could try a re install and give it a go with no patches at all. Not sure if it will make a diff, but hey. If it does, you know it is the patch that is messing ya up.