PDA

View Full Version : My minor wishes for IL2 series of sims..........

LEBillfish
10-08-2004, 11:59 AM
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">~Salute All~!!!;</span>

We all I'm sure have our own opinions about what we would like to have, or "think" we should have in the IL2 series of sims to make them better. The reason no doubt because we love to fly them, obviously not because we think they are poor.

Naturally, it is easier to add to an idea then create it...So often most not making helpful suggestions yet simply whining for self serving wants (why can't the BF109e4 out climb the ME163 sort of thing) and I sincerely hope this is taken as the former.

So hopefully this list of wishes maybe inspires an idea with 1C and the maddox team, as I sincerely think they will help perpetuate the sims high quality.

1. A "limited" external view selection.
What I am asking for here hopefully would help fill the gap between "supposed full real/no external" and the current external views crowd. That being a second type of external view selection offered, and for the sake of argument lets call the current External View selection "Full External" the one I'm proposing "Limited External"

In full external you currently can F2 outside your own plane viewing it as the focal point. Cycle through both friendly and enemy planes as well as ground camera's as the focal point. F3 fly by view, and F6 lock on both friendly and enemy planes with an external view from the plane or camera you were currently viewing.

The "Limited External" selection I am proposing does only one thing, lets you see external to your plane only as the focal point yet nothing else...no locking on of other planes or targets, nor cycling to them.

The advantages to the old way for those who abuse it are clear...Using the functions to locate enemy both near and far, and utilize it as a padlock of sorts....The excuse always the same, "I like the eye candy *then whispered* and besides everyone else cheats with it to.

So hence the fractioning up of players.

Limited External would grant the eye candy, yet remove the potential for abusing it. It contrary to what some will say would also retain some of the realism we can cannot know in a locked cockpit. In a real plane if say the rudder is damaged, you'd feel it. Here unless the damage model compensates for it often you just cannot tell why the plane is acting how it is, and that is even if it makes a noticeable change. So external viewing what you can't feel might at times make you retreat when you should..(if you use your brain)..Also it would allow for things that rarely happen, like being able to note your surroundings when taking off, something communication from the tower and other planes would normally do but cannot due to the complexity.

2. Smart rear gunners........
The AI gunner feature on planes with multiple seats is great.........Except one thing...I don't need him screeching he is freaking out due to my flying....What I do need to have him do is tell me where he is shooting at (where the enemy is).

I realize this could be a very complex thing if allowed to be, yet could it be possible to have a simplified version?......The simplest naturally he simply state "Enemy Attacking Us, Evade"....That announced as he begins to fire his guns.....What would be better is to break up his positions into 6 quadrants....."Enemy Attacking High/Low 4/6/8".....That would be enough we could evade with some intelligence...The call sounded out dependant upon which position of the 6 quadrants he fires from.

3a. Map Recon photo's
This feature would help a lot. That being, you are given the mission brief and route...Yet also can select to view recon photo (if any)...This would be a single bitmap/photo of the target area taken by the mission builder and available to those about to attack ground targets "in the briefing"

3b. Map routes devoid of all icons
This function would leave the mission path on the in game map with waypoints....HOWEVER you would not have your own planes Icon to show your position. This is actually a VERY realistic feature.....as a map with no planned route or a map with a gps quality icon moving on it are equally unrealistic.

4. Better utilization of "Music" and it's selection.
The word music is deceptive, as most who use "Take Off, In Flight, Crash" tracks use it to generate some of the awesome background radio traffic tracks floating around...It adds a new dimension to the sim and can add substantially more stress and realism.
However, currently once in the game you cannot change out tracks, so if say I have German loaded and must fly British....I hear none of my British tracks just the German ones.
Currently I have all my "Music" tracks labeled as to Nationality (DE, UK, US, JA, RU, etc.) and by theatre (Western/Eastern fronts, Pacific).
What I would like is a feature that is either automatic utilizing the plane selection nationality selecting which group of tracks I'd use for me......Or better still a selector in aircraft customization that lets me select like with pilot, or plane skin.
Nationality stating which group of tracks are chosen....The selector allowing me to choose theatre (pacific, Africa, eastern front, Europe) if the track sets are available.

5. Ground troops......
Here I am not asking for the "animated" troops we currently have....and yes I realize all troops and ground objects are actual 3d objects. What I am asking for however are troops to be added to things such as AAA, searchlights and the such...NON animated simply placed about the current object bitmap...
I do not care if the cannon rotates and the troops spin around it like on some revolving platform....Or even vanish into the ground if it goes from vertical to horizontal....Nor do I ask that they are part of the DM of the object affected if they alone are hit and the object is not destroyed.....
Just simply that they are there, and the destroyed object bitmap shows them down as well. So as an example...
Take a German 88 and add them to the cannons "Base" bitmap...They do not move or do anything. When the cannon is destroyed the "base" bitmap changes to them all laying there dead.....That's all nothing more.

6 Sounds.......(this is a whine and complaint)
Currently.......how can I say this with some tact, ah yes....THEY S*CK!!...sorry had to get it out.
Now I have flown some very primitive compared to IL2 sims, like RB3d.....and even in that sim could better sounds be added...Now I'm not asking you let us change sounds at will, yet I use it to illustrate the point in that many players found actual recordings of various engines, machine guns, cannon, damage and crash sounds, explosions etc. that FAR exceed what we have here.

Now don't get me wrong, I am no programmer nor do I understand the reason of "the sound engine won't handle it"....But c'mon....their are enough examples on the net let alone real life of the quality required to not have just a few engine and gun sounds and poor ones at that.

This aspect of the game is lacking....and there are better, more correct, and exact sounds out there.......I'd like to see this aspect of the game improved on as an example....If .50 cal. machine guns sound like that inside or outside the plane.....The CrazyIvan is a Monkey's Uncle...which is possible yet never the less.

7. More head shake/loss of control
I'd like more head shake (vision blur) when guns are fired, or hit by enemy fire, or with turbulence. Something to show me the plane is being jolted.

Anywho...just my list of wishes...Hope they inspire some foundation improvements on what I find to be an awesome sim I love to fly.

Thanks for your time,

BM357_TinMan
10-08-2004, 12:41 PM
as far as externals are concerned

I'd like a "spectator" view option kind of like COD

Where you could have "spectator" enabled, so that only those in the ready room could spectate.

You're right, what is up with the sound?

For me,

A real world, or atleast the entire theatre modeled with historical airbases

Fix the semi-auto rudder thing man

Decent weather

Fix the semi-Auto fuel mixture

NippleCorn
10-08-2004, 12:49 PM
As long as we're talking cameras and external views and such - HOW ABOUT A FREAKIN' FREELOOK FUNCTION? Server-settable to prevent cheating, but at least available when in offline mode and *especially* when playing back tracks. I can't tell you what a PITA it is to try to produce a decent movie from track files without the use of a freelook. And as long as we're at it, how about implementing a decent track playback mechanism? Something like in FighterAce, where there is a VCR-type control panel that you can use to pause, rewind, jump around from frame to frame, etc.

DxyFlyr
10-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Billfish,

Very insightful wishes! Two of these I have shared for a long time (limited externals and maps with only waypoints).

I like the idea of limiting externals to your own aircraft and eliminating the external padlock. Allowing views to an enemy plane many miles away has never made sense to me (not that I haven't been guilty of using it to advantage) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'd also add the wish to get "full externals", for lack of a better word, after you have been killed in a co-op for the obvious reason of enjoying the show. This option often makes the wishlists. The only problem I see with this... people on comms can get intel. from the "dead". Which again, is slightly unrealistic. Perhaps an option to only allow friendly externals after death?

I've never thought of adding recon photos to the brief. This sounds like an excellent idea and has got my vote. I'm no programmer either, but it sounds like the mission builder would need the ability to insert a .bmp, .jpg, or .tga to the content of the brief. Aside from my being a little leery about what kind of images will actually appear when I click the brief button (yes, we know these mission builders too well), this could be a great tool. Add to immersion as well.

Wholeheartedly agree with the "waypoints only" map idea. Seems like an easy fix. Also wouldn't hurt to get a small, folded up and dog-eared view of that recon photo in the pit as well. Not sure if they carried recon photo's on missions, but I know I would have wanted to. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And finally, a big SALUTE to you, lady. You're a holy terror in the skies.

-DxyFlyr

Bearcat99
10-08-2004, 03:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEBillfish:
So hopefully this list of wishes maybe inspires an idea with 1C and the maddox team, as I sincerely think they will help perpetuate the sims high quality.

1. A "limited" external view selection.

I like that.. since I like externals and even with a closed pit and no icons I just like to have them. Its nice to be able to enjuoy the action after you get shot down or land.

2. Smart rear gunners........
The AI gunner feature on planes with multiple seats is great.........Except one thing...I don't need him screeching he is freaking out due to my flying....What I do need to have him do is tell me where he is shooting at (where the enemy is).

Another goodie....

3a. Map Recon photo's
This feature would help a lot. That being, you are given the mission brief and route...Yet also can select to view recon photo (if any)...This would be a single bitmap/photo of the target area taken by the mission builder and available to those about to attack ground targets "in the briefing"

Actually being able to pull up the brief.. or at least brief notes would be good too and even more important IMO.

3b. Map routes devoid of all icons
This function would leave the mission path on the in game map with waypoints....HOWEVER you would not have your own planes Icon to show your position. This is actually a VERY realistic feature.....as a map with no planned route or a map with a gps quality icon moving on it are equally unrealistic.

ABSOLUTELY!!

4. Better utilization of "Music" and it's selection.
The word music is deceptive, as most who use "Take Off, In Flight, Crash" tracks use it to generate some of the awesome background radio traffic tracks floating around...It adds a new dimension to the sim and can add substantially more stress and realism.
However, currently once in the game you cannot change out tracks, so if say I have German loaded and must fly British....I hear none of my British tracks just the German ones.
Currently I have all my "Music" tracks labeled as to Nationality (DE, UK, US, JA, RU, etc.) and by theatre (Western/Eastern fronts, Pacific).
What I would like is a feature that is either automatic utilizing the plane selection nationality selecting which group of tracks I'd use for me......Or better still a selector in aircraft customization that lets me select like with pilot, or plane skin.
Nationality stating which group of tracks are chosen....The selector allowing me to choose theatre (pacific, Africa, eastern front, Europe) if the track sets are available.

Sounds good..(no pun intended.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif) but now that you bring it up this is the one feature of FB or even IL2 that I have yet to fully explore...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

5. Ground troops......
Here I am not asking for the "animated" troops we currently have....and yes I realize all troops and ground objects are actual 3d objects. What I am asking for however are troops to be added to things such as AAA, searchlights and the such...NON animated simply placed about the current object bitmap...
I do not care if the cannon rotates and the troops spin around it like on some revolving platform....Or even vanish into the ground if it goes from vertical to horizontal....Nor do I ask that they are part of the DM of the object affected if they alone are hit and the object is not destroyed.....
Just simply that they are there, and the destroyed object bitmap shows them down as well. So as an example...
Take a German 88 and add them to the cannons "Base" bitmap...They do not move or do anything. When the cannon is destroyed the "base" bitmap changes to them all laying there dead.....That's all nothing more.

You are on a serious roll baby!!!!!

6 Sounds.......(this is a whine and complaint)
Currently.......how can I say this with some tact, ah yes....THEY S*CK!!...sorry had to get it out.
Now I have flown some very primitive compared to IL2 sims, like RB3d.....and even in that sim could better sounds be added...Now I'm not asking you let us change sounds at will, yet I use it to illustrate the point in that many players found actual recordings of various engines, machine guns, cannon, damage and crash sounds, explosions etc. that FAR exceed what we have here.

Now don't get me wrong, I am no programmer nor do I understand the reason of "the sound engine won't handle it"....But c'mon....their are enough examples on the net let alone real life of the quality required to not have just a few engine and gun sounds and poor ones at that.

This aspect of the game is lacking....and there are better, more correct, and exact sounds out there.......I'd like to see this aspect of the game improved on as an example....If .50 cal. machine guns sound like that inside or outside the plane.....The CrazyIvan is a Monkey's Uncle...which is possible yet never the less.

Weeeeeeellllllllllll ok...... roll on..

7. More head shake/loss of control
I'd like more head shake (vision blur) when guns are fired, or hit by enemy fire, or with turbulence. Something to show me the plane is being jolted.

Yeah... that little PLIK..PLIK... sound of the bullets hitting is not all that immersive. I would also like to see different sounds for different parts of the plane..... like say if yoiu get a hit in the windscreen then you get a slight hissing sound.... like air is rushing in....

Thanks for your time, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All in all some great points.. but in all honesty and fairness to 1C.... I think we would probably see a betteer chance of seeing this in BoB than in FB since it is almost at its end as far as what 1C is goiung to put into it. No one told me this btw but it just seems logical. They have done and excellent job of getting the most out of the franchise... now I think thier sights are going to be more focused on the future.....

icrash
10-08-2004, 06:00 PM
External view suggestion I like. I don't fly online and don't use any padlock stuff. It is nice to examine the plane to check damage especially since I don't have force feedback to "feel" the hits.
Rear gunner thing is dead on. It would be nice to get more of a warning than to see tracers go sailing by the cockpit and hear the gunner fire.
No icon thing would by hard for me. I would have to have some sort of landmarks to go by to reach the target. This would only if I were flight leader, otherwise I just follow the leader.
The recon photo would be nice just to get a vague idea of what I was getting into before I got there. It doesn't even have to be exact because units would be added or moved in real combat.