PDA

View Full Version : help with trim

general_kalle
09-25-2007, 01:49 PM
i just got a new joystick (Saitek Aviator / AV8R) and im that lucky it has to throttles.

2 levers that can be moved up and down
1 for power of course and the other one i chose to Elevator trim by advice.

but the thing is that when you are not used to it it gets complicated.

its nice when you cruise.
also you can greatly improve turning radius by applying full trim up and then turning

for some reasen the planes doenst seam to stall when you trim turn and the P51 which otherwise would stall so easily is suddenly a great turner.

what i dont like is that when you are done turnign you like it to be trimmed level again to make it passible to make a good aim but you dont have time to fine tuning it.

and when you are landing you adjust the throttle quite a bit and you have to trim it quickly again,

i havent crashed yet due to Trim but its one more thing to think about,
especially distrakting when trying to put your plane down on a carrier.

what is the trim set to when you dont have a buttom or a lever Assaigned for it?
neutral?

plz tell what you do about it?

general_kalle
09-25-2007, 01:49 PM
i just got a new joystick (Saitek Aviator / AV8R) and im that lucky it has to throttles.

2 levers that can be moved up and down
1 for power of course and the other one i chose to Elevator trim by advice.

but the thing is that when you are not used to it it gets complicated.

its nice when you cruise.
also you can greatly improve turning radius by applying full trim up and then turning

for some reasen the planes doenst seam to stall when you trim turn and the P51 which otherwise would stall so easily is suddenly a great turner.

what i dont like is that when you are done turnign you like it to be trimmed level again to make it passible to make a good aim but you dont have time to fine tuning it.

and when you are landing you adjust the throttle quite a bit and you have to trim it quickly again,

i havent crashed yet due to Trim but its one more thing to think about,
especially distrakting when trying to put your plane down on a carrier.

what is the trim set to when you dont have a buttom or a lever Assaigned for it?
neutral?

plz tell what you do about it?

Cajun76
09-25-2007, 01:56 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif Thank goodness, for a minute there I thought you had trim on a slider....

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-25-2007, 01:58 PM
If you use IL2 Joycontrol you can adjust the sensitivity of your trim. You should also have elevator trim neutral mapped to your stick.

S!

buzzsaw1939
09-25-2007, 02:11 PM
haVoK.. Are you saying that you can get rid of that lagg? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Not sure what lag your talking about but you can make it more smooth and precise.

S!

Dagnabit
09-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks Havok, gotta go try it! Been trying to work out trim problems for the longest...Im ashamed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif I even had it on a slider, but I repented. Basicly it is the same problem general Kalle has with recovering fast enough for a shot.
Dag

general_kalle
09-26-2007, 01:38 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
i feel like a noob
i just didnt make it out clear.
yes it is on a slider

but i guess thats a bad idea.

what to use instead for Trim
what to use the slider for Instead?

Lurch1962
09-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Trim in this game will always have built-in lag (unless a fix comes down the pipe), which of course is not correct in real life. This lag was introduced so as to keep players from cheating by exploiting the over-modeled responsiveness of trim. (Your experience in the P51 revealed how turn performance was VERY much--and unrealistically--improved by application of full trim.)

Having trim on your "slider" is superior to relegating this important control to key presses. (I have it mapped to my CH Fighterstick throttle wheel.) Just get a feel as to where the neutral position is for your plane when flying near the "normal" cruise speed. Now, unlike you, I don't use trim to enhance turning, in part because it's unrealistic, but mainly because it's a pain to keep fiddling with in oombat! Therefore I almost never have it very far from an approximately neutral position as appropriate for most flight regimes.

On approach for landing, I'll re-set trim just as I'm about to dial in a notch of flaps. I find that as I continue to slow and add more flaps, the trim setting continues to work fairly well... at least I don't have to haul back on the stick too much, at any rate.

--Lurch--

Waldo.Pepper
09-26-2007, 04:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">have built-in lag (unless a fix comes down the pipe), which of course is not correct in real life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are you talking about, not like in real life?
When a pilot makes a trim change the plane will take some small measure of time to reach a new equilibrium. The control surface in question will respond quicker to the new setting, quicker than the plane, but still it is not instantaneous.

M_Gunz
09-26-2007, 09:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by general_kalle:
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
i feel like a noob
i just didnt make it out clear.
yes it is on a slider

but i guess thats a bad idea.

what to use instead for Trim
what to use the slider for Instead? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a good idea. Don't let unreal elitists convince you otherwise, find out how many of them
actually fly and do so badly trimmed then add in PC stick is not as real stick by far.

All you have really found is how much penalty PC stick and settings really gets with bad trim
by seeing what happens if you trim for speed -- when your plane slows down in the turn, the
trim needs to change as well is the duh part but how much difference you get when trying to
hold steady stick back halfway or more with sliders in a rising curve is not so easy to see!

Add filter to your pitch sliders and see if you don't get even better. The micro-wobbles
made by your hand holding your stick 'about' in the same place will get evened out more and
you will start to see how these planes are really modeled.

It's not cheating to stop being stupid and stubborn. The real pilots did these things as a
matter of course. Just find out for your plane where the trim lever should be for any speed
and move it to anticipate your speed aby the time the delay is done.

If you want, go find the chapter of Bud Anderson's autobiography and read where he says that
he did in fact constantly use trim even during combat. Aces get serious about their planes,
"you're not SUPPOSED to" is for second-bests. That's REAL and not just gaming the game.

Trim on a slider does not allow easy instant on key/button centering as that decalibrates your
slider/throttle into a PITA condition.

LEXX_Luthor
09-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Waldo:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What are you talking about, not like in real life?
When a pilot makes a trim change the plane will take some small measure of time to reach a new equilibrium. The control surface in question will respond quicker to the new setting, quicker than the plane, but still it is not instantaneous. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is what Lurch is saying -- trim should have a fast response, and not instant with slider nor artificially crippled just to save Online play from itself since many use other methods of trim control.