PDA

View Full Version : Poll- where do you target your MGs?

drose01
07-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Here's a poll about where people like to aim their machine guns(.50s, .303s, etc)for what they believe is maximal effectiveness.

Single engine fighter targets only.

DooDaH2007
07-06-2007, 10:21 AM
I aim for the cockpit in a kind of spray and pray way...

drose01
07-06-2007, 10:24 AM
I've been having some luck with knocking out the engine lately when I have a chance to aim properly.

crazyivan1970
07-06-2007, 10:24 AM
really depends on what you attacking IMO.

Viper2005_
07-06-2007, 10:25 AM
The middle.

drose01
07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
really depends on what you attacking IMO.
Interesting. Any specific tips?

Stew278
07-06-2007, 10:38 AM
I like to go for the wing root. That way if I'm a little off it still might hit the cockpit or engine instead.

But most of the time against fighters I don't get time to aim carefully so I just shoot to hit something.

FluffyDucks2
07-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Yup...to kill those bloody UBER Hurris in an Emil you really MUST hit the engine if using mg only http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

crazyivan1970
07-06-2007, 10:45 AM
well, lets see...

vs Blue

190 i would go for the wings
109 engine or tail section or wings, depending on the position
any twins i`d go for the engine
Jets - engine

Japanese bombers - twins for the engine
Single engine for the pilot or engine
Japanese fighters - fusulage or wing roots

vs Allied fighters
Engine or cockpit

vs Allied bombers engines

vs IL-2 - oil cooler or tail section

Even with all listed above, all really depends on the angle of attack and position of enemy aircraft.... Also keep in mind, that said above applies to attack on unsuspecting enemy, anything after all is more or less spray and pray.

BrotherVoodoo
07-06-2007, 11:06 AM
There is nothing like ripping a wing off of an opponant.

FE_pilot
07-06-2007, 11:14 AM
If your flying A Fw-190, then you really don't need to aim, just spray and pray away at your target. Your bound to hit something.

crazyivan1970
07-06-2007, 11:23 AM
@Rudel

a) You sig is too big, please adjust according to the signature regulations http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
b) We are talking MG`s only http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
07-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by FE_pilot:
If your flying A Fw-190, then you really don't need to aim, just spray and pray away at your target. Your bound to hit something.

That's a silly statement. Why would your odds be better in a FW? In reality, the 6 MG's in a mustang, F6F, Corsair have a higher rate of fire (ROF) than a FW's 4 cannons and 2 mg's. So, Shouldn't you be MORE bound to hit something spraying with one of these? or even a P-47 (8x50's) or a hurri(8-12x303's)?

Bottom line is, you should always aim.

TB

horseback
07-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Most of the time, I'm going to shoot at the engine.

What I hit is usually something else.

cheers

horseback

WOLFMondo
07-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by horseback:
Most of the time, I'm going to shoot at the engine.

What I hit is usually something else.

cheers

horseback

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Hitting anything is better than nothing at all.

FE_pilot
07-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Anyone know how to change the size of my sig to meet the forum requirements?

What i meant by spray and pray in a 190 is when your close to a target like 200m or less, then open up on them and surely you might get a critical hit.

At that range, 4 cannons are surely more effective than 12 .303's or 8 .50's.

Also i only made that statement because when you pull the trigger in a 190, both cannons and mg's fire.

Klemm.co
07-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by FE_pilot:
Anyone know how to change the size of my sig to meet the forum requirements?
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

That was actually funny. And how about resizing the pic and reuploading it to your image-hosting site?

FatBoyHK
07-06-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't got it.... you guys want to choose where to hit during a dogfight?

I would say, just shoot whatever come into your sight.... you may not have another chance....

LStarosta
07-06-2007, 01:52 PM
I generally guesstimate where my target is, so whatever I hit, I hit. I am a Patriot, therefore I use American aircraft, and the .50's do a nice job of crippling anything they come across. If you can nail some Nazi's wings, then he's easy pickins and you can fully pump him and his crate full of .50 caliber democracy at will.

zardozid
07-06-2007, 02:07 PM
For me its all in the angle of the attack (and not much time to aim)...

If I'm coming in from the bottom or top I hit the wings. (if you take the wing out he isn't going anywhere...damage the ailerons and he is a sitting target/slower.

If I'm rockin in from around the clock I go for the largest part of the target. With fighters its usually the fuselage, and with multi-engine bombers the engines.

DKoor
07-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Wings are sure bet for most fighters.

VW-IceFire
07-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Good poll. I went to bed last night thinking about posting the very same poll. Get out of my head! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I was thinking about all of the discussions about weapons effectiveness and we know the game is a constant so I was thinking of what would be the key difference and I wanted to know if people evne thought about shooting different parts or they just sprayed.

Well...I think its very telling that 33% of the respondents so far say they just spray and pray. No wonder some people find weapons less effective... I have almost always, from day one, even before I was good at shooting in the game, made it a point to shoot at a specific spot on the target aircraft. Engine is usually what I am for as with many single engine planes this is a great spot as there is sometimes fuel, there is oil, the engine itself...all sorts of good stuff up there in the engine. So thats what I am for...and if I miss a bit then I'm hitting the cockpit...either way the target is going to go down quickly.

With two or four engine bombers my technique is different. I aim for the wing roots or just outboard of the engines. Again thats where the fuel usually is and its the best way to try and take down a bomber instead of wasting rounds in the rear fuselage where there really isn't anything except for guns shooting at you.

leitmotiv
07-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Depends on what you are fighting. If you have played your cards right, you are ambushing your opponent, and you choose the point which will cause the most damage. Since this is a toy, you are not usually ambushing. Since fighter vs. fighter combat is extremely fleeting, choosing a point-target is usually impossible. You are usually lucky to hit him within the perimeters of your convergence range. Against bombers is another matter. There you do choose your point target. The question is, since this is a toy with with hit boxes, how much does it matter how precise you are with your shots at hitting a specific area of vulnerability? The toy factor dictates lay on the hits. Thus, shoot in a way to maximize the concentration of hits. That way you'll fill up the hit boxes and send him down.

Dtools4fools
07-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Trying not to attack from dead 6, rather a slight angle. Then aim for wing root, cockpit, engine.

Coming from dead 6 and aiming for center/fuselage is quite useless if you use a Ki-43 against a Hurricane for example.

With an angle you will get pilot or engine.

T_O_A_D
07-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Depends on AOA, But generaly lead shot at the engine hoping to hit it, Pit or wing root, depending on just how well I judged the deflection, from a Lag pursuit.