PDA

View Full Version : Help. How does it work Padlock option ?

stebas
05-27-2008, 04:17 AM
In the map of available commands of IL2 (Menu -> controls) there is the possibility of locking / engaging the sight of a target (lock / padlock).
While I managed to lock the external view of an airplane (friend or foe) or a ground target (F6 and F7 by default), with my plane flying in a view that has its focus on the locked target and this is very useful in combat to know which side is your enemy or your gregario or to point targets on land otherwise invisible.
I can not, however, to activate (and even understand this function) the other pair of command (padlock), which by default should be activated with the keys F4 (or Shift+F4 for friends) for aircraft and F5 (or Shift+F5) for ground units.
I tried to fly over enemy tanks, vehicles or artillery, but you want to press F5, the program don't want to work...!
I have only managed a couple of times (miraculously) to lock ground target and once (if I right remember) it appeared a triangle signalling the target, but could not say whether it was a case ...
I tried to vary all levels of difficulty, enabling and disabling the various options, but nothing. I have not modified the config.ini.
Is there anyone who knows me say how these padlock F4 and F5?
I think this wuold be important because once a target is padlocked you can order your wingman to attack it with the command "attack my target", otherwise this command produce the same answer: "unable" by the wingmen.
Thank you, Stebas.

stebas
05-27-2008, 04:17 AM
In the map of available commands of IL2 (Menu -> controls) there is the possibility of locking / engaging the sight of a target (lock / padlock).
While I managed to lock the external view of an airplane (friend or foe) or a ground target (F6 and F7 by default), with my plane flying in a view that has its focus on the locked target and this is very useful in combat to know which side is your enemy or your gregario or to point targets on land otherwise invisible.
I can not, however, to activate (and even understand this function) the other pair of command (padlock), which by default should be activated with the keys F4 (or Shift+F4 for friends) for aircraft and F5 (or Shift+F5) for ground units.
I tried to fly over enemy tanks, vehicles or artillery, but you want to press F5, the program don't want to work...!
I have only managed a couple of times (miraculously) to lock ground target and once (if I right remember) it appeared a triangle signalling the target, but could not say whether it was a case ...
I tried to vary all levels of difficulty, enabling and disabling the various options, but nothing. I have not modified the config.ini.
Is there anyone who knows me say how these padlock F4 and F5?
I think this wuold be important because once a target is padlocked you can order your wingman to attack it with the command "attack my target", otherwise this command produce the same answer: "unable" by the wingmen.
Thank you, Stebas.

DKoor
05-27-2008, 04:50 AM
Padlock F4 works only in cockpit.
You need to get a visual on bandit from your cockpit, hit F4 and he'll be "locked".
Same with ground targets.

However if the target is on your 6 (rear quadrant) and you aren't looking that way pressing F4 will do nothing.

Tully__
05-27-2008, 04:53 AM
1. For Padlock and Padlock Ground (F4 and F5 combinations), make sure that the No Padlock difficulty setting is turned off.

2. For External Padlock and External Ground Padlock (F6 and F7 combinations) make sure the No External Views difficulty setting is turned off.

3. For the Enemy/Friendly options to work, the No Icons difficulty setting must be off. If that difficulty setting is on the padlock controls will padlock any target regardless of whether you want only friendly or enemy.

4. To engage the Padlock views (F4/5) you must not be in external view. The target must be in your field of view (the part of the sky you are currently looking at) and less than 3km away. Once locked your view will follow the target until lock is deselected or broken.

5. To keep your target padlocked in the Padlock (F4/5) views it must remain in your field of view and less than (if I recall correctly) 6km away. If the target moves further away, or is hidden by cloud, part of your aircraft, a hill or other terrain feature or other aircraft for more than about a second, padlock will be lost.

6. The "Y" and "U" controls only work if you already have a target padlocked and there are alternate targets within your field of view, within 3km and if icons are on, on the same side as the current target. Those controls will swap the currently locked target around the targets currently available that meet the padlock conditions. If I recall correctly, these controls may not work for the External Padlock (F6 & F7 combinations) but I'd have to test to confirm.

7. External padlock (F6/7) works in external view. For it to work the targets must be within external padlock range (3km I think) or have been recently padlocked with external padlock.

8. If you're in cockpit when you press an external padlock control and there is a valid target within external padlock range, you will be switched to external view and your view locked to the target.

9. Repeated presses of the basic external padlock control will cycle through available targets that are in range and within the valid target group.

10. Snap view forward while padlocked control centres your view forward when a padlocked target is in a position that take your view away from the front of the aircraft. Your view only remains centered while the control is held and will return to the target (if it's still within range, not obstructed by terrain etc...) when the control is released. I haven't tested this control in the latest version of the game so I'm unsure if holding it for too long will result in losing your padlocked target and I don't recall if it works while using external padlock.

The-Rocketeer
05-27-2008, 06:28 AM
Questions :

Is it possible to suppress the little green triangle around the locked object (ground or air) ?

stebas
05-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Thank boys !
That of Tully is a real lesson by an expert...
Tonight I'll test all the options !

Lurch1962
05-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Excellent mini tutorial, Tully!!

A correction to your #5...

5. To keep your target padlocked in the Padlock (F4/5) views it must remain in your field of view and less than (if I recall correctly) 6km away. If the target moves further away, or is hidden by cloud, part of your aircraft, a hill or other terrain feature or other aircraft for more than about a second, padlock will be lost.

The period during which padlock will remain active after the target moves out of view is a full 3 seconds, from my experience, and possibly a tad more.

=================

An addendum to your #10...

10. Snap view forward while padlocked control centres your view forward when a padlocked target is in a position that take your view away from the front of the aircraft. Your view only remains centered while the control is held and will return to the target (if it's still within range, not obstructed by terrain etc...) when the control is released. I haven't tested this control in the latest version of the game so I'm unsure if holding it for too long will result in losing your padlocked target and I don't recall if it works while using external padlock.

This is a very handy control!

- You can hold this key for as long as you like.
- As long as held, you can hold the padlock even if the bandit is out of your field of vision for extended periods.
- Yo can briefly release the key to glance forward numerous times. For example (assuming the 3 second time-out is indeed valid), if you glance forward for only 0.5 second at a time, you can do this for as many as 5 times (total of 2.5 seconds) and the padlock will be held.

--Lurch--

Lurch1962
05-27-2008, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it possible to suppress the little green triangle around the locked object (ground or air) ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tried to do this, but haven't found a way. I suspect it's not possible?

badatit
05-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Yet another comand that comes in handy...

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/Badatit/controls2.jpg

crucislancer
05-27-2008, 08:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lurch1962:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it possible to suppress the little green triangle around the locked object (ground or air) ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tried to do this, but haven't found a way. I suspect it's not possible? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite possible. Assign a key to "Toggle Icon Types" in the controls section. It's down near the bottom with Time Acceleration. Anyway, there are 4 types of Icons: Off, Range Only, Range and Plane type, and lastly the full icon with range/plane/number. The triangle will completely disappear when you toggle to "off". Even if you have "No Icons" switched on in the difficulty screen, this will still work to turn off the padlock triangle.

The-Rocketeer
05-28-2008, 07:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lurch1962:

I've tried to do this, but haven't found a way. I suspect it's not possible? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tx. It's too bad because this option makes a good camera vieuw for movie makers, but with this little triangle it suks.

DKoor
05-28-2008, 07:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by badatit:
Yet another comand that comes in handy...

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/Badatit/controls2.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

MajorBloodnok
05-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Oh, the humanity!

crucislancer
05-28-2008, 09:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The-Rocketeer:

Tx. It's too bad because this option makes a good camera vieuw for movie makers, but with this little triangle it suks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please see my post above. It is quite possible. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lurch1962
05-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Crucislancer,
Of course! I was very tired and actually confused things in my strained brain with another game which shall remain un-named, and which I was playing just recently. Oh, the humanity!

ffb
05-28-2008, 05:56 PM
It's great having Tully back.......He is such a helpful and knowledgeable guy! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Tully__
05-29-2008, 03:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ffb:
It's great having Tully back.......He is such a helpful and knowledgeable guy! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Also lazy.... I didn't type that post, I did a search for an old version of it and copy/pasted http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I typed the original about 2 years ago I think...edit: 14 months ago.

arcadeace
05-31-2008, 02:50 AM
Hi Tully. Its rare I pop in here and just for a look but its nice to see you. Hope you and the family have been well. Would like to echo ffb http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I haven't played the sim in years but still wondering when the next one comes, maybe.