PDA

View Full Version : Over all worth getting?

Triggertime798
03-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Over all is this game worth getting? I've seen posts about lots of bugs in the game, posts about people who think it isnt real enough. But I have read posts about people with great 'war stories'. Am I going to have a blast with this game, or am I going to be nothing but frustrated playing it?

Thanks

Shrap
03-21-2005, 12:09 AM
YES!

Bugs and all it's still a kick *** game.

IMHO

lobosrul
03-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Im now convinced YES! If youd asked me just an hour ago i wouldve said wait for patches.

The key for me was figuring out how to best use my crew (ie how to do promotions, and DO NOT fill your crew all the way up). A good rule of thumb would probably be to go to uboat.net and see about how many crewmembers should be assigned for the type of boat your using.

WargamerScott
03-21-2005, 12:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lobosrul:
Im now convinced YES! If youd asked me just an hour ago i wouldve said wait for patches.

The key for me was figuring out how to best use my crew (ie how to do promotions, and DO NOT fill your crew all the way up). A good rule of thumb would probably be to go to uboat.net and see about how many crewmembers should be assigned for the type of boat your using. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the disadvantage of filling my uboat up with crew?

This is something the manual gave almost no attention---crew management.

WargamerScott
03-21-2005, 12:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Triggertime798:
Over all is this game worth getting? I've seen posts about lots of bugs in the game, posts about people who think it isnt real enough. But I have read posts about people with great 'war stories'. Am I going to have a blast with this game, or am I going to be nothing but frustrated playing it?

Thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely worth getting. There are a number of bugs that need correcting, but this is to be expected in what is probably the most realistic WWII sub sim ever created. And none of the bugs ruin the game. Right now, I would give the game 8 out of 10. Once the game is fully patched, hopefully soon, it will be an easy 10 out of 10. The I hope a US Pacific version is released! :-)

WargamerScott
03-21-2005, 12:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Triggertime798:

Thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely worth getting. There are a number of bugs that need correcting, but this is to be expected in what is probably the most realistic WWII sub sim ever created. And none of the bugs ruin the game. Right now, I would give the game 8 out of 10. Once the game is fully patched, hopefully soon, it will be an easy 10 out of 10. Then I hope a US Pacific version is released! :-)

Trydan
03-21-2005, 01:19 AM
I would recommend this game. Considering the complexity of the subject, the multitude of options and the challenge of rendering the ocean, ships and everything else, I think the developers have done a brilliant job. There are supposedly bugs, but the ones I have encountered are pretty minor, and in terms of games, it is actually better than most (you would not believe how buggy some titles are). However, bugs are inevitable - developers are human, and such software must have hundreds of thousands of lines of code. What is more important is that the dev-team have responded promptly to reported problems with patches.

That said, no bugs have marred my experience so far. I am by no means a U-Boot profi, but I found the game convicing, detailed and compelling.

Definitely worth getting!

lobosrul
03-21-2005, 01:30 AM
On filling up your crew:

First off its a bit unrealistic to have a VIIB with the full allotment the game allows, 51 crew members is a tad too many.

What happens in the game is that for some reason the crew management system had a hard time switching fatigued crew members for fresh ones (i mean moving from a station to a bunk), with a full complement of sailors, officers and P officers. Also it seems as though lag decreased in the game when i did this, although it might just be im now early in the war and theres less traffic, i dunno.

Fornixx
03-21-2005, 02:08 AM
Get it today fool! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

It kicks serious behind!!!

Thainej6
03-21-2005, 03:38 AM
Despite a few drawbacks, it is Awesome. I realized the screenshots never even came close to doing it justice when I saw it first hand.

mrfritz4444
03-21-2005, 06:21 AM
I've been playing computer games for 17 years and I'm not easy to impress, especially when I have to part with my hard earned money, but this will go down as a true classic.

They could have asked for 55-60 bucks and still got it. The 40 dollars I parted with was well spent IMO.