PDA

View Full Version : A recurring joke to share...

arrowtalon
03-28-2007, 12:44 PM
I was in the Museum of Science and Industry not long ago with my fiancee, and they're currently refurbishing a couple WW2 aircraft for display. One was a Junkers Ju 87(D?, I believe), the other was a Spit Mk Ia, flown by an ace in the original paint scheme--still had the original swastika kill markers on the fuselage.

Anyway, we walked by the Spit, and I said something like "What a beautiful aircraft."
My fiancee got a puzzled look on her face, and said, "Who in their right mind would fly that thing?"
I said, "What do you mean?"
She pointed at the RAF roundel and said. It's got a bullseye on it, that's stupid. Was this guy trying to get shot at?"
I laughed pretty hard before explaining the RAF markings in a bad British accent.

Anyway, thought that is probably a pretty recurring story with this crowd--just wanted to share.

arrowtalon
03-28-2007, 12:44 PM
I was in the Museum of Science and Industry not long ago with my fiancee, and they're currently refurbishing a couple WW2 aircraft for display. One was a Junkers Ju 87(D?, I believe), the other was a Spit Mk Ia, flown by an ace in the original paint scheme--still had the original swastika kill markers on the fuselage.

Anyway, we walked by the Spit, and I said something like "What a beautiful aircraft."
My fiancee got a puzzled look on her face, and said, "Who in their right mind would fly that thing?"
I said, "What do you mean?"
She pointed at the RAF roundel and said. It's got a bullseye on it, that's stupid. Was this guy trying to get shot at?"
I laughed pretty hard before explaining the RAF markings in a bad British accent.

Anyway, thought that is probably a pretty recurring story with this crowd--just wanted to share.

ploughman
03-28-2007, 12:48 PM
On a side-note, I have read that some police body armour actually features a target in the centre. The rationale being that a shooter will sub-consciously aim at the target and this will, therefore, increase the probability that the bullet will hit where the armour can be effective.

general_kalle
03-28-2007, 12:59 PM
the 1800 danish army uniform aws a bit that way.
red with two white bands going from each sholder across the breast and to the hips.
making a nice cross to aim for right at the haert

Waldo.Pepper
03-28-2007, 03:59 PM
In France in 1944 the Germans soon learned that if you shoot at the BIG WHITE STAR on the side of the American Sherman tanks, the fuel tanks were right behind them.

Thicker armour was fitted hastily initially in the field. It helped, though not much.

Spectre1968
03-28-2007, 04:25 PM
"Move the bloody star"
Springs to mind http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Breeze147
03-29-2007, 06:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by general_kalle:
the 1800 danish army uniform aws a bit that way.
red with two white bands going from each sholder across the breast and to the hips.
making a nice cross to aim for right at the haert </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Explains why the Danish army never did ****. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif