PDA

View Full Version : Newb: Engine overheating!

Maulovitz
01-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi there. I have just started out in the magnificent world of PF - however, I am experiencing some problems concerning the temperature on my engine. For the time being I'm flying a RN campaign in my Seafire and it has turned out all right so far - it's not so difficult to control as many of the other planes I've tried. But as said: the engine tends to overheat and I guess this is due to my lack of knowledge about the engine handling. Are there some hints and tricks I should know about - what does the radiator-device do, and what about the pitch of the propellar?
I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys.
Thanks from a 18-year old, danish virtual pilot (and student in the sparetime)..!

Maulovitz
01-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi there. I have just started out in the magnificent world of PF - however, I am experiencing some problems concerning the temperature on my engine. For the time being I'm flying a RN campaign in my Seafire and it has turned out all right so far - it's not so difficult to control as many of the other planes I've tried. But as said: the engine tends to overheat and I guess this is due to my lack of knowledge about the engine handling. Are there some hints and tricks I should know about - what does the radiator-device do, and what about the pitch of the propellar?
I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys.
Thanks from a 18-year old, danish virtual pilot (and student in the sparetime)..!

WOLFMondo
01-09-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm no spitfire expert but opening the radiator fully, turning off the boost and reducing prop pitch a little to lower the revs will help.

Being higher up, above 10,000ft also helps.

hamselv2
01-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Hej - from another danish virtual pilot.

The radiator is what you in danish would call a 'k¸ler'.
Let the radiator be fully opened as long as you dont need maximum speed from your engine, that's during cruising - or in brief moments/periods during a fight. Dont fly at full throttle unless you have to. The longer you fly at max speed, the faster the engine will overheat and die, and the higher your fuel consumption will be. Dont use WEP if you dont have to. During a fight you may close the radiator fully - or partially - to get a bit more speed from the plane, but the more you close the radiator, the faster it will overheat - and finally die, if you push it too hard.
During takeoff I set my Seafire radiator at max cooling (= position 8), and use WEP during the initial climb. After the initial climb I throttle down and lower the manual pitch to cool the engine. I may continue my climb, but at a slower rate of climb. Use manual prop pitch during cruising, to cool the engine, and save your fuel.
If you want to see how the radiator settings affects your plane during flying, you could install a DeviceLink utility (UDPGraph or something like that) with readouts of different temperatures for oil and water.

OMK_Hand
01-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi Maulovitz.

hamselv2 is one hell of a pilot, so pay attention...

Also: In the cockpit, on the right side of the front instrument panel, below the boost (manifold pressure) guage, there's a clearly marked Oil temperature guage.

If this shows a temperature of approximately 96 degrees or above for any length of time, then you will overheat.

High RPM - controlled by propellor pitch - appears to contribute to engine overheating.
According to the Spitfire Mk.V/Seafire manual, pitch setting are:

climb and combat = 2850 rpm at +9 boost.
Cruise = 2650 rpm at +7 boost.

or therabouts.
Hope this helps.

Zeus-cat
01-09-2006, 04:03 PM
One guy in my squad uses the rule to never use a throttle setting greater than your prop pitch. 90% prop pitch means a throttle setting below 90%.

I'm not sure fuel consumption is modeled properly in the game. It might be, but from what I have read it is not. Essentially, if your engine is running in the game, you are consuming the same amount of fuel no matter what the throttle setting. People who fly the Me-163 Komet claim that the consume fuel at the same rate no matter what the throttle setting is.

Zeus-cat

Tully__
01-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Fuel consumption is modelled (though not in great depth). I've tested the Bf109 and got less than 55 minutes at high power from 100% fuel but over 2 hours at something like a real life cruise power setting.

Maulovitz
01-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks a lot. It actually helped paying attention to the radiator and so on. Somehow the autopilot manages to keep the oil temperature at a stunning 0 degrees - don't the AI controlled planes calculate with overheating etc...?
However; because of your help Iwo Jima will soon be invaded by the Allies!

lechiffre
01-10-2006, 12:58 PM
I know just what you mean. I had exactly the same problem in the Seafire. Just keeping up with AI planes when they're flat out seems impossible. Opening the radiator (once I found out I could) helped a bit but slowed me up. Maybe if I got the fitters to chuck in some antifreeza hhmmm.....

Tully__
01-10-2006, 04:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lechiffre:
...Just keeping up with AI planes when they're flat out seems impossible.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't try to match speed and climb rate at the same time. Go for speed first, worry about altitude when you've caught them.

Corrvan
01-10-2006, 07:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
One guy in my squad uses the rule to never use a throttle setting greater than your prop pitch. 90% prop pitch means a throttle setting below 90%.

Zeus-cat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds right to me, thats our general rule in rl flying. never put the throttle above the pitch unless the manual specifically tells you to. overheat mania! and lots of other bad things resulting in SSCBD

Sturm_Williger
01-11-2006, 08:51 AM
I thought the Me163 Komet only had 2 throttle settings - on and off.

Does the throttle setting actually increase / decrease thrust in this plane ?

OMK_Hand
01-11-2006, 02:02 PM
The Komet does, of course, have a rocket motor as oppose to a piston engine driving a propellor, and is therefore a different beast altogether.

However, you are mistaken I fear in thinking it has but two throttle settings - 'on' and 'off' - for it has four. Including, 'off'.

To answer your question, in my opinion; yes it does.

All you have to do is look. I can't believe I just did. Burned again....

Browning50cal
01-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Maulovitz,

I put this in another post, but I'll throw it out again here. The AI planes have quite a bit of advantage in that they cannot overheat or black out. I believe that the autopilot is just an AI script. You have seen yourself how warm their engines get. If you set up a quick mission using the same type of aircraft that you are flying as an adversary, you will notice that your adversary is about 20 Mph faster in all regimes, and that he will continue to pull a turn past the point where your screen blacks out. I have no doubt that AI's toodle around the whole dogfight at 110% without regard to engine management. This having been stated, it will only make you a better and smarter fighter to enter combat under these conditions. Regardless of their advantage, they will die.

B50

Maulovitz
01-23-2006, 06:01 AM
Hm ... is there a reason why the radiator shouldn't be open at all times - does that reduce the plane's aerodynamics or something?

Again - thanks guys.

PS: What's SSCBD?! Crashing I guess?

major_setback
01-23-2006, 06:32 AM
Someone commented on WEP. WEP means War Emergency Power, this is extra power that you can use in emergencies/dogfights. Some aircraft can run with this on for a long time (Spitfire IXe) while others overheat quickly. I think that the key for this is 'W', you can change that in the 'controls' section which you reach from the main page of the game.

Running the engine at full power is like driving a car with your foot to the floor all the time - the engine will get hot.

major_setback
01-23-2006, 06:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maulovitz:
Hm ... is there a reason why the radiator shouldn't be open at all times - does that reduce the plane's aerodynamics or something?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes! It will slow you down, but not too much.

major_setback
01-23-2006, 06:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maulovitz:

PS: What's SSCBD?! Crashing I guess? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did yoyu see this? It's new to me.