PDA

View Full Version : Better than TrackIR?

|CoB|_Spectre
07-16-2006, 09:13 AM
VR headsets for some flight sims were available back in 1995, but the prices were high, the rez was low, the head tracking was lacking, and prices were dropping on larger screen monitors. I ran across this the other day and it definitely has hit the price point for consideration:

http://www.3dvisor.com/

|CoB|_Spectre
07-16-2006, 09:13 AM
VR headsets for some flight sims were available back in 1995, but the prices were high, the rez was low, the head tracking was lacking, and prices were dropping on larger screen monitors. I ran across this the other day and it definitely has hit the price point for consideration:

http://www.3dvisor.com/

Scragbat
07-16-2006, 12:29 PM
I would love a pair of these. I did dabble with some LCD shutter glasses for a while on my CRT (when I had one). Problem was you had to sacrifice resolution for a higher refresh rate to avoid flickering. Couldn't arrive at a happy medium even though the effect was very nice. There would be no such problems with these.

They also appear to work with just the standard nVidia stereo drivers so that means lots of compatibility with 3D games.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

They may be more 'affordable' but alas, still out of my price range I'm afraid.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

|CoB|_Spectre
07-16-2006, 01:11 PM
The "Community" button at the top of the site takes you to a forum page and there's one oriented to the VR headset with flight sims. I noticed one poster said he got his working with FB quite well, but he said not much of the scenery in the game worked well in 3D. It could be his settings.

I always thought a VR headset would the best, particularly if you had 360 degrees of movement. Imagine doing a head-on pass then having to look over your shoulder to maintain visual. It could be disorienting, though, if your vestibular sense strongly disagreed with what your eyes were telling you. Lacking a motion chair to corroborate eyes and inner ear, probably ought to keep an airsick bag handy.

WB_Outlaw
07-17-2006, 09:10 AM
The max resolution is 800x600 and the max refresh rate is a low 60Hz. I think I'll wait unti 1280x1024 is the standard in tiny LCDs.

--Outlaw.

|CoB|_Spectre
07-17-2006, 06:35 PM
The 60Hz vertical refresh rate is no biggy when you're talking LCDs, a very big deal if you're talking CRTs. A couple of weeks ago when I visited their website, they also showed a new model Z1300 sporting 1280x1024 pixel resolution. It seems they've killed the link to it at the moment, but since the price on the Z800 just dropped by $350 USD, the Z1300 will probably be a grand or more. Not for the faint of wallet, by any means.

JFA--
07-17-2006, 06:46 PM
It has to be atleast 1280x1024. I would like to know field of vision of these goggles.

ploughman
07-18-2006, 05:24 AM
There's a review of this at SimHQ here. (http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_080a.html) It's encouraging that svelte blondes play Il-2 as well as dorks like us. All in all the guy was really encouraged by the level of immersion but also felt the resolution needed improving, and he had some other issues that he sort of thought were teething problems that would hopfully get worked out in a Mk II version. Lotta rocket though.

Aaron_GT
07-18-2006, 02:41 PM
1280x1024 would be good, but 1366x768 might be a good choice for them as that is an acceptable HDTV resolution too, and thus a good match for TV and the Xbox. Also is the image stereoscopic, or just the same image for both eyes? A stereoscopic option would be good for immersion, but fairly demanding on a graphics card for a good flight sim, I bet.

Aaron_GT
07-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Looks like it has 3D, which is good, but I think I'd want a different type of cradle for extended wear, something like the inside webbing of a hard hat with the HMD mounted on the front.

HQ1
07-19-2006, 03:26 AM
But My Q is with this how could you press the keys on keyboard?

ploughman
07-19-2006, 03:39 AM
I think you can look down out of the eye pieces which would allow you to see the keyboard but ideally you'd probably have a HOTAS set up with most key functions mapped.

Friendly_flyer
07-19-2006, 03:51 AM
This looks very promising!

It has a few drawbacks, though. You'll need throttle-set, pedals and track IR to use it effectively. If you have to pop up the glasses to find the keys on the board, you are worse off than without. If you have, on the other hand, you'll be King of the Sky!

Flying_Nutcase
07-19-2006, 03:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HQ1:
But My Q is with this how could you press the keys on keyboard? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can still see your keyboard by looking straight down I think.

The review at SimHQ is really interesting and features the Z800 (which was about $1,000 then). I don't think the Z800 would give a seamless gaming experience. This new version might be okay.

I would really like to buy VR googles and will look at what's available in a year or so, along with a motion cage. Flight simming is finally coming of age: Storm Of War + all the immersive peripherals. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

|CoB|_Spectre
07-19-2006, 01:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Friendly_flyer:
...You'll need throttle-set, pedals and track IR to use it effectively. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HOTAS and rudder pedals are useful no matter what other accessories you have. Why would you need Track IR? The VR display has head tracking built-in. For $549 USD, they probably will get some takers, especially since you'll get 3D stereo if you've got the requisite series Nvidia card. Apparently ATI does not support the 3D function on-card and is not mentioned.