PDA

View Full Version : Harrier with afterburner?

Xx_RTEK_xX
08-16-2008, 01:46 PM
I remember seeing that famous picture of the Harrier with the afterburners. I wonder if Ubisoft realized their mistake and fixed this in the game, since the Harrier doesn't have afterburners? Also, they have said so many times that one of the biggest focuses on the game is the authenticity of the planes. To me that is not very Authentic to have afterburners on a Harrier.

Please, someone correct me if afterburners are in fact on the real life Harrier. I've tried to research the specs of the plane, and so far have not come across any evidence that the Harrier does in fact have Afterburners.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/tom_clancys_air_combat/screenshot-12.html

WhiteKnight77
08-16-2008, 10:30 PM
The Harrier does not have afterburners and as seen on the Yuma Airshow 2005 Flying Displays (http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/Yuma2005/Flying/index.html) page, gets rather smoky when hovering. I don't recall where my pics are from Yuma taken in 1984 are or would have posted them instead. If you scroll further down the page above, you will see an F-15 from Langely AFB in Hampton VA.

Xx_RTEK_xX
08-17-2008, 02:31 AM
Those are some really kickass photos on that link. There's nothing more amazing than the F-15 on a slight banking turn.

krise_madsen
08-18-2008, 06:58 AM
The Harrier does not have an afterburner, and it never has.

Also, don't put too much into any notions of authenticity in HAWX. It's an arcade flying game.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Claudeboy_36
08-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Maby it is an upgrade. Maby you can customize or unlock new parts for your aircraft.

Xx_RTEK_xX
08-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by krise_madsen:

Also, don't put too much into any notions of authenticity in HAWX. It's an arcade flying game.

Respectfully

krise madsen

True, but go watch the interviews with the developers. They claim to have worked hard on maintaining the authenticity of the planes in the game. If they are working so hard on that, then why does the Harrier have afterburners in that image. I want to take them for their word when they say they are working hard to maintain authenticity, but it's hard to believe them when we see their mistake. How many more are going to show up later?

But you are right, no need to expect much realism out of an arcade game.

WhiteKnight77
08-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Remember Chong, it's Ubi that one is dealing with around here. With the R6 devs that created weapons due to their "Hollywood" stats instead of their real stats, to what the devs have said here and shown is what you will get in this game and will be similar in scope.

Actually, I believe it should be, no need to expect much out of Ubi.

Xx_RTEK_xX
08-19-2008, 12:05 AM
I remember that "Hollywood" statement. Was that before or after Clancy sold his name? Doesn't sound like something Clancy would approve of in a game with his name on it, but it wouldn't be the first time.

WhiteKnight77
08-19-2008, 11:48 AM
I can't remember if it were before or after, but we know that the game was in development before the sale. Take it from there.

jasonwalker1983
09-07-2008, 11:27 PM
the harrier shouldnt have burners, i dont understand why they do this. ace combat's latest installments were actually were pretty good about not putting burners on the a-10, or the ea-6b. i dont even care for the engines glowing at cruising speeds. you should just see black with the heat ripples visible and thats it. everyone tends to get carried away with afterburners.

atacms2020
09-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by XxCH0NGxX:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by krise_madsen:

Respectfully

krise madsen

True, but go watch the interviews with the developers. They claim to have worked hard on maintaining the authenticity of the planes in the game. If they are working so hard on that, then why does the Harrier have afterburners in that image. I want to take them for their word when they say they are working hard to maintain authenticity, but it's hard to believe them when we see their mistake. How many more are going to show up later?

But you are right, no need to expect much realism out of an arcade game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif, where is the authenticity?

GKane
09-10-2008, 02:02 AM
Hi all,

I have checked with the developers about this issue and the Harrier shown in the screenshot was a "work in progress" model.

The finished Harrier model, as well as the rest of the planes in H.A.W.X will match their real world counterparts.

GK

Ira777br
09-10-2008, 07:05 AM
good news, thanks GK http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Livi70590
09-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Ah well then, it seems that the only things the Harrier will be able to take on in combat will be A-6, A-7 & A-10 etc.

Doesn't mean I won't try to take out a Raptor.

Xx_RTEK_xX
09-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by GKane:
Hi all,

I have checked with the developers about this issue and the Harrier shown in the screenshot was a "work in progress" model.

The finished Harrier model, as well as the rest of the planes in H.A.W.X will match their real world counterparts.

GK

That sounds really good. Thanks for the update. Now my question is, will the developers get the cockpits right? In one of the videos, they got the Typhoon cockpit wrong, it was missing the flat screen on the left, and the horizon gauge was on the wrong side, also the horizon gauge didn't work properly. I hope they will get the planes and their cockpits done right, or I won't spend my money on it.

Claudeboy_36
09-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi all,

GK Sounds good GKane thanks.

WhiteKnight77
09-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Hi all,

GK

So these planes will have decent flight dynamics that mean trying to fly between buildings will get you killed unlike the trailer shows someone doing?

jasonwalker1983
09-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Who said it's against the laws of physics to fly between buildings? Pilots fly under small bridges inverted. Military pilots fly through canyons and valleys every day to practice handling their planes. In fact, I've seen AH-1 cobras fly right over the 101 freeway in L.A. They were so low, everyone slammed on their brakes until they flew past them, cuz they were so loud, they shook the cars.

WhiteKnight77
09-18-2008, 01:03 AM
First off, this is me:

http://www.whiteknight77.net/images/crew.jpg

Second, this was my bird back when I was in (it was actually green way back when):

http://www.whiteknight77.net/images/4799.jpg

And this is over SoCal:

http://www.whiteknight77.net/images/tustina.jpg

Now flying a jet at 600 MPH between buildings just does not happen, period. There is a big difference between a canyon and a street between buildings, mostly distance. Fighter aircraft, while maneuverable, can't turn 90 degrees in 50 feet nor can they turn nose up on a dime either. With the exception of jets with vectored thrust nozzles, it takes miles to make a heading change of 180 degrees. Take a look at the F-22 demo video taken at Langley AFB. The runway at Langley is 10,000 ft long, almost 2 miles and it takes the F-22 almost a mile to do a backflip. City streets are not that straight or unobstructed (most canyons and valleys are).

Helos can go just about anywhere and land just about anywhere (as long as there are no cables or trees in the area of the rotordisk). We flew GCI's into Los Alamitos which took us right over Disneyland (great during the summer at night when they had fireworks). We also landed with just the main mounts in the Santa Ana Mountains. Of course you can see helos anywhere. And the Marines still fly Snakes.

Mig-29
09-18-2008, 07:08 AM
That looks fun!!! It reminds me of my dad.