PDA

View Full Version : hyperlobby error

BillSwagger
03-07-2010, 09:27 PM
lately i've been getting strange warping effects and i found a section in the config.ini that looks like this:

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0
cheaterWarningNum=-1

but when i change this it reverts to these numbers again.

looking at the Il2 manual it gives directions on what these mean but apparently they do nothing unless you are hosting.

Bill

BillSwagger
03-07-2010, 09:27 PM
lately i've been getting strange warping effects and i found a section in the config.ini that looks like this:

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0
cheaterWarningNum=-1

but when i change this it reverts to these numbers again.

looking at the Il2 manual it gives directions on what these mean but apparently they do nothing unless you are hosting.

Bill

Aviar
03-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Those settings only pertain to the host server. So, if your issues occurred while you were a client, they mean nothing at all.

As far as your problem of not being able to change these settings, it has nothing to do with the settings themselves. It's probably something like an issue with your OS or maybe the file is set to 'read-only'.

Since I have been hosting for years using custom MaxLag settings, I can assure you that none of these settings would cause any of the issues you mentioned....either as a host or as a client.

Aviar

TheGrunch
03-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Also, if you edit it and save it while the game is running, and then exit the game, it resets your changes, I've noticed.

BillSwagger
03-07-2010, 10:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aviar:
Those settings only pertain to the host server. So, if your issues occurred while you were a client, they mean nothing at all.

As far as your problem of not being able to change these settings, it has nothing to do with the settings themselves. It's probably something like an issue with your OS or maybe the file is set to 'read-only'.

Since I have been hosting for years using custom MaxLag settings, I can assure you that none of these settings would cause any of the issues you mentioned....either as a host or as a client.

Aviar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe since I'm not hosting then it probably reverts these settings to what ever the server uses.

More over, i'm trying to understand why the warping is suddenly becoming a bigger problem. My connection and ping is the same.

Has anyone used these settings to see if it improves lag or makes it worse?
I checked the manual:

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
This gives the player a max lag of 10 seconds before the plane warps, i think, but i'm not sure if it actually warps sooner than that and only dings the player as a cheater if he goes over that amount. 10 seconds seems like a long time to lag out anyway.

nearMaxLagTime=2.0

This lets the player lag a max of 2 seconds in situations where another plane is nearby. Again, 2 seconds seems like a long time to lag but i was hoping to make it much less where it wouldn't be so noticeable. Even a half second lag disrupts the game but i'm not sure if the lag itself causes the warp or not. If a plane lags for three seconds, you might only see a warp for one second. Not sure how it works though.

cheaterWarningDelay=5.0

If a player lags for more than this time period it is shown as "cheating detected"

cheaterWarningNum=-1

This gives a player a certain amount of warnings before they are kicked. -1 means they are never kicked, so i'm guessing 0 means they are kicked immediately if they lag for more than the parameters allowed above.

I don't really host so i'm not able to make use of these tools but it seems like for default settings this might be too high since i see a lot of warps.

Bill

Aviar
03-08-2010, 03:01 AM
"Maybe since I'm not hosting then it probably reverts these settings to what ever the server uses."

Absolutely not. Not only do I host but I also join other servers. Never once in several years did my MaxLag settings change by themselves.

Aviar

BillSwagger
03-08-2010, 03:30 AM
Thats strange, i never switched them back so im not sure if they would still revert or not.

Anyway, i'm trying to get a feel for what those settings do.
What settings are you using and why?

Bill

Aviar
03-08-2010, 10:30 PM
These are my settings:

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=2.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=3.0
cheaterWarningNum=2

These settings are considered 'tight', but that's how I like it. I host a lot of coops and I like to provide a good environment for my players.

You see, one player with a very poor connection can cause problems for eveyone in the server. These tight settings will kick a player who is continuously lagging or has high ping spikes.

Again, these settings are only for the host. If you join a server, it doesn't matter what your settings are...the host's settings will be in effect. In fact, these settings are optional and you can even delete them from your conf file without any problems at all.

In reference to one of your earlier questions...."Has anyone used these settings to see if it improves lag or makes it worse?"

The answer is that these settings neither improve nor make your lag any worse. That's not what these settings are for. They monitor the connections in the server and act accordingly.

Aviar

KG26_Alpha
03-09-2010, 08:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillSwagger:
lately i've been getting strange warping effects

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a client try setting your join speed to this in your Hyperlobby conf.ini

[Forgotten Battles]

clientRate=8000

You can over ride this once in the server using the "IL2setup" icon and changing the network speed under the network tab if things are still lagging / warpy, 56k and lower are smoother settings client side.