PDA

View Full Version : U-49 Log Entry: Dark Encounters

Schiffmorder
11-21-2005, 12:33 AM
5 February, 1940
NE of Spain
(FYI:79% realism)

Lady Fortune is a terrible mistress. 72 hours ago we are the pride of the Kriegsmarine. Off the Irish coast a radio message informs us of a nearby task force! The Lady smiles on us, for we are almost directly ahead of it. A minor course change SSW and 4 hours later we are 3000 yards off the port bow of Illustrious, in rough seas and moonless night!! I am the luckiest Kaleun in the whole German Navy! She is just launched a few months ago, and not even commissioned yet. I must have found her on return of her shakedown cruise, and she will never enter the rolls of King George's navy.
I order the watch below in case we need to crash. Only the XO and I are upstairs on the approach.
Los!
A 4 fish spread is on its way from 1800 yards, a greeting for that limp wrist Chamberlain, a slap in the face for that fat cigar chomping Churchhill.
When the red button is pushed, seconds are hours, minutes become days of self reproach and self doubt. Did I do everything correctly? A dozen times I relive the approach; when the enemy is doing 21 knots events happen extremly fast and perfection is the price of success for a once in a career moment as this.
Deadly fish swim to mete deadly destiny to 1200 British sailors.
Awake, asleep, talking, laughing, dreaming of the loved one in who's arms they will be tomorrow night.
Their youthful innocence is lost in the explosion of the first hit, abaft the bridge.
A second goes by.
Another.
My heart is in my throat, beating so furiously I cannot breath.
TWO HITS AFT!!
Secondaries!!
A fish found a magazine, and of a sudden I am blind and deaf, the world lights as though a thousand bolts of Thors lightning have burst around my boat, his thunder reverberating off the conning tower, through our bodies. Out of the waterborne hell flies a shell at us and I almost crash dive, thinking we are being fired at. But it is only shells lighting off. Something crashes into the tower just below us, the world is filled with schrapnel and other debris flung about. The XO and I take cover below the edge, backs against the tower looking at each other across the UZO support. We are laughing and shouting, maniacal in our enthusiasm, although we cannot hear each other, I understand him, for after years of sailing and patrolling together, we are brothers. We are on top of the world, we will get every medal ever made and Herr Hitler himself will serve us wine at our victory banquet in Berlin!
After a few seconds we pick ourselves up and crouching low we look to see what is doing. The stern is gone under, bow high, with explosions still going off she is sinking. I turn and yell down the hatch.
'We got her!! She goes down by the stern!!' The boat erupts with joy.
I am looking through the UZO as the last of Illustrious goes down when my view is blocked.
Frowning I look up to see a Fiji cruiser crossing my bow right to left all of a hundred meters ahead.
Mein Gott im Himmel!!
Sheisse!!
"ALARMMMMMMMM!!!!"
"FULL STARBOARD RUDDER!!"

Closing the hatch I slide down to the con, and immediately am run over by crew rushing to the forward torpedo room.
I am now fully back to earth again and humbled.
"Ahead One Third, make depth 50 meters, make your course 270"
As things settle down we begin to hear Illustrious on her way down. Kilometers of water are beneath us. It is a long journey to the bottom and where she gave up the surface in only a couple minutes now she seems to fight every meter of the way down.
This is always a sober time for the crew, for every one of us know we are liable to meet the same fate eventually and I can see this in their faces.
For me there is more.
Until now we have sunk only some merchants, slow to sink and lightly manned. Always there are boats in the water, men saving themselves to ship out again another day.
There were no boats tonight, no time for that to be a consideration.
With a simple command, a touch of a button, I have killed tonight at least 1000 men with whom I had no personal grudge. I do not know how I feel about that.
XO comes by and slaps me on the back, jerking me out of my funk for the moment.
Smiling. "Ha a close thing with that cruiser hehehe. He is lucky we has no fish forward or he would be gone too!!"
Lucky. Lady Fortune again smiling on us? Or was it a warning?

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/507/logentry6bv.th.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=logentry6bv.jpg)

Sailing south to our patrol area in the SW approaches we meet and dispatch a couple of lone cargo vessels. We are a happy U-Boat, doing our duty, knowing we will be highly celebrated upon our return.

5 Feb, 1940 02:30 hrs.
Via radio we learn of a convoy nearing us that we can easily intercept. The OOD wakes me, and after plotting the intercept I get dressed to go upstairs. From the motion of the boat I know things are rough out, but I am not prepared for what greets me.
Gale force winds of at least 40 knots, fog and a driving horizontal rain so hard that even Neptune must be cringing in his underwater palace. It is the darkest night and the worst weather I have seen yet and we are trying our best to meet a large convoy in this?
Suicide!!
Still we plough on at flank speed, thinking to make contact around dawn. After an hour I am tired of this blind battering. The entire British fleet could sail by within half a kilometer of us and neither of us the wiser to the other. I order a dive in order to make a sonar check.
CHUG chug chug chug
CHUG chug chug chug
Fast turns, bearing 005 and no change in 3 minutes listening.
This can only be a tanker headed straight at us or away from us. I order a slight change to port and order surface again. I am satisfied he is heading away from us, and a stern chase is on!
We make visual contact at 0400 hrs, at only 500 meters distance!! But there she is, a T3. The weather is still total Sheisse, and if were not a fat tanker I would submerge and hit the rack. But that T3 carried tens of thousands of decaliters of fuel, precious cargo that would keep Englands planes in the air and her ships out hunting us! And we are just the Unterseeboot to send her down, sinkers of Illustrious, pride of the German Navy.
My first error was in thinking I must id her. Looking back I realize now that all tankers were fair game.
So we pulled steadily closer from astern her, and I realized that any chance of making her flag required us to be next to her.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8017/alongside8am.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alongside8am.jpg)

Matching course and slowing to standard, we pull up amidships, too close for the UZO. I am looking for the flag, not recalling where on the verdammt thing it was hung. I go below to get on the observation scope, it having the best light gathering capabilites of all my optics, and I needed every last photon. I see it but cannot make out the nationality, so upstairs I go with my Zeiss glasses.
I am exultant, for she is British!!
We are 10 yards off her port beam and she chuggs along fat and ignorant of her coming fate. Enjoying the unique opportunity, we sail slowly up her left side, passing her bridge we make crude gestures in the dark, knowing they went unseen. It happened just as we were clearing her bow.
I still dont know if she saw us and turned into us, or if it was sheer bad luck, but seconds after the conning tower had cleared the bow we made contact with a horrendous screech. We had gone from pride of the German fleet to British 'hood' ornament!!
'FLANK SPEED, RUDDER HARD PORT!!!'
My precious U-49 was being ground to pieces, and being drawn further starboard. Dazed and in shock I stared upwards at the bow, at my impending death. This thing was about to roll us over and keep going. The crew were screaming damage reports at me. We had one last chance and I took it.
'RUDDER HARD TO STARBOARDDDDD!!!'
Our faster speed was getting us out of the way, but sooo slowly. The bow of the T3 was chewing its way down the starboard stern of U-49 and I knew that even if we didnt sink, dawn (or that convoy) was liable to find us sitting dead in the water.
Somehow, some way, we cleared the ships bow and shot away at an angle of about 80 degrees from her starboard side. And still upright too!! Immediately I went below to assess the damage board. Everything abaft the con was yellow or red and there was flooding in both engine rooms.
Quickly I put together a DC party and set them to work. Going back to asses things myself I was brought up short when I entered stern quarters. There was blood and gore spattered all over the port side!
Gotimhimmel was ist das?
I look left. In one of the upper starboard bunks someone had been asleep against the hull. The collision stove in our hull there and he was popped like a pimple!!
Retching, cursing my stupidity and brashness, I turn back to the con.
I smell a stench of burnt flesh overriding everyting else and I inquire about it.
Seaman Mahn had been performing routine maintanance in the electric space and had been electrocuted. So I had killed two of my crew. Later we found it was Vogler who had been asleep. Had I called us to General Quarters neither would have died.
About them I realized that we had shot away from the tanker at about right angles.
Was a stern shot possible??!!
Quickly I am on the Observation scope.
It was! we were 350 meters out at almost perfect angles!
I look around to call out the numbers, then realized everyone was busy, I jumped to the TDC and set it up.
SCHNELL!!
Back to the scope.
LOS!!!
Seconds later a hit. I've hit the cow in her forward area, but it is not critical and she steams on.
Verdammt!!
This cow of a ship has killed two of my crew. I am resolved it will not long survive my dead men and so lock on to it, then go back to damage control, hoping the last shot was not my final one. In a matter of minutes everything is under control and I go back to the scope, but the target is gone in the rainy darkness. We make our way off in its general direction and am soon rewarded, seeing a beacon of flame. Visibility is still limited to maybe 500 meters at most.
I manuever us so as to cross close to her stern at right angles and then arc hard right for another shot at her port midships. I have gotten misoriented in the darkness and confusion, and helped by the fact that I did not hit the cow in the bow area like I thought. I had in fact hit her stern, which meant I had everything backwards!! I was crossing in front of her!!
FLANK SPEED!!

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8153/stbdbow4xe.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stbdbow4xe.jpg)

At this point my nerve is severely shaken. Twice in 10 minutes I have placed us in front of the 11000 ton behemoth and I recall the old saying that Gott looks out for the stupid people. If that is the case he must be riding on my bow. I wonder if a transfer to a nice warm tug pushing bargs up the Rhine is possible...
I recover my composure again and consider my position. I wait a minute to gain distance, swing about hard left and call all stop, then back a third. She is zigging back into me.
Patience.
Patience.
Gott but these things are LONG ships.
LOS EIN!!
LOS ZWEI!!
No more VerDammt cow!
It has been a bittersweet day for us.
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7884/revenge7tn.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=revenge7tn.jpg)

Schiffmorder
11-21-2005, 12:33 AM
5 February, 1940
NE of Spain
(FYI:79% realism)

Lady Fortune is a terrible mistress. 72 hours ago we are the pride of the Kriegsmarine. Off the Irish coast a radio message informs us of a nearby task force! The Lady smiles on us, for we are almost directly ahead of it. A minor course change SSW and 4 hours later we are 3000 yards off the port bow of Illustrious, in rough seas and moonless night!! I am the luckiest Kaleun in the whole German Navy! She is just launched a few months ago, and not even commissioned yet. I must have found her on return of her shakedown cruise, and she will never enter the rolls of King George's navy.
I order the watch below in case we need to crash. Only the XO and I are upstairs on the approach.
Los!
A 4 fish spread is on its way from 1800 yards, a greeting for that limp wrist Chamberlain, a slap in the face for that fat cigar chomping Churchhill.
When the red button is pushed, seconds are hours, minutes become days of self reproach and self doubt. Did I do everything correctly? A dozen times I relive the approach; when the enemy is doing 21 knots events happen extremly fast and perfection is the price of success for a once in a career moment as this.
Deadly fish swim to mete deadly destiny to 1200 British sailors.
Awake, asleep, talking, laughing, dreaming of the loved one in who's arms they will be tomorrow night.
Their youthful innocence is lost in the explosion of the first hit, abaft the bridge.
A second goes by.
Another.
My heart is in my throat, beating so furiously I cannot breath.
TWO HITS AFT!!
Secondaries!!
A fish found a magazine, and of a sudden I am blind and deaf, the world lights as though a thousand bolts of Thors lightning have burst around my boat, his thunder reverberating off the conning tower, through our bodies. Out of the waterborne hell flies a shell at us and I almost crash dive, thinking we are being fired at. But it is only shells lighting off. Something crashes into the tower just below us, the world is filled with schrapnel and other debris flung about. The XO and I take cover below the edge, backs against the tower looking at each other across the UZO support. We are laughing and shouting, maniacal in our enthusiasm, although we cannot hear each other, I understand him, for after years of sailing and patrolling together, we are brothers. We are on top of the world, we will get every medal ever made and Herr Hitler himself will serve us wine at our victory banquet in Berlin!
After a few seconds we pick ourselves up and crouching low we look to see what is doing. The stern is gone under, bow high, with explosions still going off she is sinking. I turn and yell down the hatch.
'We got her!! She goes down by the stern!!' The boat erupts with joy.
I am looking through the UZO as the last of Illustrious goes down when my view is blocked.
Frowning I look up to see a Fiji cruiser crossing my bow right to left all of a hundred meters ahead.
Mein Gott im Himmel!!
Sheisse!!
"ALARMMMMMMMM!!!!"
"FULL STARBOARD RUDDER!!"

Closing the hatch I slide down to the con, and immediately am run over by crew rushing to the forward torpedo room.
I am now fully back to earth again and humbled.
"Ahead One Third, make depth 50 meters, make your course 270"
As things settle down we begin to hear Illustrious on her way down. Kilometers of water are beneath us. It is a long journey to the bottom and where she gave up the surface in only a couple minutes now she seems to fight every meter of the way down.
This is always a sober time for the crew, for every one of us know we are liable to meet the same fate eventually and I can see this in their faces.
For me there is more.
Until now we have sunk only some merchants, slow to sink and lightly manned. Always there are boats in the water, men saving themselves to ship out again another day.
There were no boats tonight, no time for that to be a consideration.
With a simple command, a touch of a button, I have killed tonight at least 1000 men with whom I had no personal grudge. I do not know how I feel about that.
XO comes by and slaps me on the back, jerking me out of my funk for the moment.
Smiling. "Ha a close thing with that cruiser hehehe. He is lucky we has no fish forward or he would be gone too!!"
Lucky. Lady Fortune again smiling on us? Or was it a warning?

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/507/logentry6bv.th.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=logentry6bv.jpg)

Sailing south to our patrol area in the SW approaches we meet and dispatch a couple of lone cargo vessels. We are a happy U-Boat, doing our duty, knowing we will be highly celebrated upon our return.

5 Feb, 1940 02:30 hrs.
Via radio we learn of a convoy nearing us that we can easily intercept. The OOD wakes me, and after plotting the intercept I get dressed to go upstairs. From the motion of the boat I know things are rough out, but I am not prepared for what greets me.
Gale force winds of at least 40 knots, fog and a driving horizontal rain so hard that even Neptune must be cringing in his underwater palace. It is the darkest night and the worst weather I have seen yet and we are trying our best to meet a large convoy in this?
Suicide!!
Still we plough on at flank speed, thinking to make contact around dawn. After an hour I am tired of this blind battering. The entire British fleet could sail by within half a kilometer of us and neither of us the wiser to the other. I order a dive in order to make a sonar check.
CHUG chug chug chug
CHUG chug chug chug
Fast turns, bearing 005 and no change in 3 minutes listening.
This can only be a tanker headed straight at us or away from us. I order a slight change to port and order surface again. I am satisfied he is heading away from us, and a stern chase is on!
We make visual contact at 0400 hrs, at only 500 meters distance!! But there she is, a T3. The weather is still total Sheisse, and if were not a fat tanker I would submerge and hit the rack. But that T3 carried tens of thousands of decaliters of fuel, precious cargo that would keep Englands planes in the air and her ships out hunting us! And we are just the Unterseeboot to send her down, sinkers of Illustrious, pride of the German Navy.
My first error was in thinking I must id her. Looking back I realize now that all tankers were fair game.
So we pulled steadily closer from astern her, and I realized that any chance of making her flag required us to be next to her.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8017/alongside8am.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alongside8am.jpg)

Matching course and slowing to standard, we pull up amidships, too close for the UZO. I am looking for the flag, not recalling where on the verdammt thing it was hung. I go below to get on the observation scope, it having the best light gathering capabilites of all my optics, and I needed every last photon. I see it but cannot make out the nationality, so upstairs I go with my Zeiss glasses.
I am exultant, for she is British!!
We are 10 yards off her port beam and she chuggs along fat and ignorant of her coming fate. Enjoying the unique opportunity, we sail slowly up her left side, passing her bridge we make crude gestures in the dark, knowing they went unseen. It happened just as we were clearing her bow.
I still dont know if she saw us and turned into us, or if it was sheer bad luck, but seconds after the conning tower had cleared the bow we made contact with a horrendous screech. We had gone from pride of the German fleet to British 'hood' ornament!!
'FLANK SPEED, RUDDER HARD PORT!!!'
My precious U-49 was being ground to pieces, and being drawn further starboard. Dazed and in shock I stared upwards at the bow, at my impending death. This thing was about to roll us over and keep going. The crew were screaming damage reports at me. We had one last chance and I took it.
'RUDDER HARD TO STARBOARDDDDD!!!'
Our faster speed was getting us out of the way, but sooo slowly. The bow of the T3 was chewing its way down the starboard stern of U-49 and I knew that even if we didnt sink, dawn (or that convoy) was liable to find us sitting dead in the water.
Somehow, some way, we cleared the ships bow and shot away at an angle of about 80 degrees from her starboard side. And still upright too!! Immediately I went below to assess the damage board. Everything abaft the con was yellow or red and there was flooding in both engine rooms.
Quickly I put together a DC party and set them to work. Going back to asses things myself I was brought up short when I entered stern quarters. There was blood and gore spattered all over the port side!
Gotimhimmel was ist das?
I look left. In one of the upper starboard bunks someone had been asleep against the hull. The collision stove in our hull there and he was popped like a pimple!!
Retching, cursing my stupidity and brashness, I turn back to the con.
I smell a stench of burnt flesh overriding everyting else and I inquire about it.
Seaman Mahn had been performing routine maintanance in the electric space and had been electrocuted. So I had killed two of my crew. Later we found it was Vogler who had been asleep. Had I called us to General Quarters neither would have died.
About them I realized that we had shot away from the tanker at about right angles.
Was a stern shot possible??!!
Quickly I am on the Observation scope.
It was! we were 350 meters out at almost perfect angles!
I look around to call out the numbers, then realized everyone was busy, I jumped to the TDC and set it up.
SCHNELL!!
Back to the scope.
LOS!!!
Seconds later a hit. I've hit the cow in her forward area, but it is not critical and she steams on.
Verdammt!!
This cow of a ship has killed two of my crew. I am resolved it will not long survive my dead men and so lock on to it, then go back to damage control, hoping the last shot was not my final one. In a matter of minutes everything is under control and I go back to the scope, but the target is gone in the rainy darkness. We make our way off in its general direction and am soon rewarded, seeing a beacon of flame. Visibility is still limited to maybe 500 meters at most.
I manuever us so as to cross close to her stern at right angles and then arc hard right for another shot at her port midships. I have gotten misoriented in the darkness and confusion, and helped by the fact that I did not hit the cow in the bow area like I thought. I had in fact hit her stern, which meant I had everything backwards!! I was crossing in front of her!!
FLANK SPEED!!

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8153/stbdbow4xe.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stbdbow4xe.jpg)

At this point my nerve is severely shaken. Twice in 10 minutes I have placed us in front of the 11000 ton behemoth and I recall the old saying that Gott looks out for the stupid people. If that is the case he must be riding on my bow. I wonder if a transfer to a nice warm tug pushing bargs up the Rhine is possible...
I recover my composure again and consider my position. I wait a minute to gain distance, swing about hard left and call all stop, then back a third. She is zigging back into me.
Patience.
Patience.
Gott but these things are LONG ships.
LOS EIN!!
LOS ZWEI!!
No more VerDammt cow!
It has been a bittersweet day for us.
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7884/revenge7tn.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=revenge7tn.jpg)

RedTerex
11-21-2005, 03:18 AM
Hi there,
sorry to hear your loss.

I notice you have the modded mini-dials..the same ones I had before my hard drive crashed.

I have installed most of my mods and updates again ( all 340 megs of em ) but I cant find those dails anywhere from all the usual haunts I go for the mods....can you help with a link to where you got them from.

thanks in advance

Schiffmorder
11-21-2005, 04:40 AM
Red,
These are what came with IUB. Thats all I know about them, sorry!!

RosenbauU73
11-21-2005, 07:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedTerex:
Hi there,
sorry to hear your loss.

I notice you have the modded mini-dials..the same ones I had before my hard drive crashed.

I have installed most of my mods and updates again ( all 340 megs of em ) but I cant find those dails anywhere from all the usual haunts I go for the mods....can you help with a link to where you got them from.

thanks in advance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi RedTerex and welcome back.
----------------------------
Thank you
RT
----------------------------
Here are one of the best sites for the hunt of mods
http://u-boot.realsimulation.com/
I think that you will find what you are looking for and more http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

------------------
Thanks again !
RT
------------------

ILikePortillos
11-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Nice story Schiff! Fun to read. Quite a trip!

Only problem, I couldn't quite make out most of the screen shots. But I SAW THE FIRST ONE! That's some TONNAGE!

Well done!

HW3
11-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Nice story and very well written. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Sorry about the loss of 2 men but, it could have been much worse had it not been for your quick thinking.

Schiffmorder
11-21-2005, 01:03 PM
About the screenshots... Yes I do realize they are hard to make out, and at first I thought they were unusable...then realized they only served to highlight how truly cruddy the visibility was. It was an amazing, confusing experience!!
You can by very careful looking, tell whats going on, but I will explain each shot and maybe that helps you see.
In the second shot I am about halfway up the port side of the tanker. At this time I was looking for the flag.
In the third shot I have just barely made my second trip in front of the bow, if you look carefully just to right of center you see the bow wake, left of center in the distance you can barely see a flame from when I shot it the first time.
In the last one my two fish have hit and it is exploding... hard to believe but the thing is only about 400 yards away!!

ILikePortillos
11-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Thank you sir, that definitely helps!

A little off topic: HW3, I like the original flag choice you've included in your signature. Funny stuff after seeing everyone else's animated nationalities. Funny story: I know a friend of a friend here who, on the 4th of July puts out his American flag and the pirate flag. A bit of a joker.