PDA

View Full Version : Questions about new Spit 25

mortoma
02-14-2006, 05:56 PM
I know it's a Mark IV, but is it a C, E or some other letter designation?? The other ones have letter suffix designators. Should I care in the first place?? What did the other Spits run at?? 18 lbs?? 20 lbs. maybe??

mortoma
02-14-2006, 05:56 PM
I know it's a Mark IV, but is it a C, E or some other letter designation?? The other ones have letter suffix designators. Should I care in the first place?? What did the other Spits run at?? 18 lbs?? 20 lbs. maybe??

VW-IceFire
02-14-2006, 06:01 PM
It's a Mark IX or Mark 9 (rarely refered to as such...not a Mark IV. Infact I think only one Mark IV was produced and it was a testbed for a number of concepts including the first Griffon engine installation and the first (maybe last) example of a 6 cannon Spitfire.

As the armament on this new Spitfire IX +25lb is consisting of a pair of Hispano Mark II 20mm cannons (with 120rpg) and four Browning .303 machine guns its safe to conclude that this ia a C type wing. It is also using a Merlin 66 engine. Therefore it is safe to conclude that the new Spitfire addition to the stable is a Spitfire LF.IXc. Infact its identical to the other LF.IXc that we have with the exception that its engine boost is +25lb instead of +18lbs (its +18 yes?).

Now, why on earth they didn't pick a LF.IXe which would make more sense in the context of history and the 2nd TAF is beyond me. But it is and its fast.

p1ngu666
02-14-2006, 06:18 PM
the IX and VIII run at 18lb max

the spit vb have 16lb, but speed of 9lb and climb of 16lb

the LF vb's are ok tho, i think. 16lb again.

mortoma
02-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks, by the way, I meant IX not IV, just got my Roman numerals mixed up for a second. After all, I'm not Roman, so I don't always remember them well!!

VW-IceFire
02-14-2006, 10:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
Thanks, by the way, I meant IX not IV, just got my Roman numerals mixed up for a second. After all, I'm not Roman, so I don't always remember them well!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Its one of those arcaic things that has hung on for so long.