PDA

View Full Version : Game locks up my PC on load

BOTA-16
03-19-2008, 09:07 PM
I have Vista 32-bit and ATI 3870 video card. I know Vegas runs on Vista because I played it quite abit on Vista and never had any problems. The only thing that changed was my video card (7800GT-->3870). The launcher will run but as soon as it's done checking the file version my computer completely locks up. Have to do a hard reboot. Anybody else have this problem, fixes, help, anything?

Only reason I am trying to play it is because Vegas 2 is coming out in a few weeks and I want to remind myself why this game blows so bad and I won't buy Vegas 2.

Thanks.

BOTA-16
03-19-2008, 09:07 PM
I have Vista 32-bit and ATI 3870 video card. I know Vegas runs on Vista because I played it quite abit on Vista and never had any problems. The only thing that changed was my video card (7800GT-->3870). The launcher will run but as soon as it's done checking the file version my computer completely locks up. Have to do a hard reboot. Anybody else have this problem, fixes, help, anything?

Only reason I am trying to play it is because Vegas 2 is coming out in a few weeks and I want to remind myself why this game blows so bad and I won't buy Vegas 2.

Thanks.

BOTA-16
03-19-2008, 11:27 PM
..Also I tried running with a clean install a number of time before I patched and after I patched to 1.06. Both with the same result. Oh well I guess this is reason enough to not buy Vegas 2. It's sad because I can install and run the original Rainbow Six (wouldn't run on XP), Ghost Recon, Rogue Spear and Ravenshield on Vista and run them no problem, but a game that is barely a year old won't. These are games that were made way before Vista was even a thought.

Lethal1940
03-20-2008, 07:33 AM
When you do a clean install, make sure you delete the Ubisoft folder and all files in "My Documents"
The configuration settings are probably still showing your old card. (hardware.ini)

I also delete all registry entries for Ubisoft when doing a clean install.

Want2Snipe
03-20-2008, 09:35 AM
+1 on what lethat1940 said.

Also, make sure you have uninstalled your old Nvidia drivers, software and registry instances with a good Registry Cleaner, otherwise, it will conflict with Vista POS OS and Vegas POS game.

BOTA-16
03-20-2008, 05:03 PM
I cleaned the registry and all folders of anything UBI related before the install and the hardware config in "my documents" only shows the 3870. Hmmmmmm. thx though. Any other hints?

ReignRain
03-20-2008, 07:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by athenian:
Also I tried running with a clean install a number of time before I patched and after I patched to 1.06. Both with the same result. Oh well I guess this is reason enough to not buy Vegas 2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL

Yes, dude, you have found the holy grail of configurations. A hole in one.

The one OS Config with that particular card that WILL NOT WORK for anyone else either.

In fact UBI should put this disclaimer on all of their new games indicating this particular instance of Vista along with that card - WILL NOT WORK.

lol

Its almost like some of you guys WANT something to ***** about and already know who your going to point the finger towards.

BOTA-16
03-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I DON't want to ***** about anything. What I DO want is a game that wasn't coded by a 3 year old. This is the only game that I have had any problems with since getting the 3870.

BOTA-16
03-23-2008, 04:49 PM
ARGH. Vegas just will not run. Tried a couple different things that I have read on this forum and nada.

funkmunky80
03-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Ditch the ATI card and go back to nvidia...?

Want2Snipe
03-24-2008, 08:18 AM
This may have nothing to do with clearing your problem but it appears that your registry is still pointing to the Nvidia card instead of the new ATI so I would try clearing my CMOS as well as loading the default settings on my BIOS to see if this does anything.

Be advise though, doing this will bring you to the Bios setup you had at the beginning and you are going to have to tweak whatever you have tweaked before... you may NOT want to follow this hint.

I would grab a copy of "Your Uninstaller 2008", install the whole game again with patch and everything and let the program uninstall the game for you, it will get rid of all the instances of UBI you have anywhere in the system. If you know your way around computers, I would manually got to the registry and kill any remains.

BOTA-16
03-24-2008, 12:22 PM
I have cleared the registry of anything nVidia or UBI and any folders related to either one of them as well. Oh well, Vegas sucks anyways, I just needed a reminder before Vegas 2 came out and well I guess I got it. Thanks for the help though.