PDA

View Full Version : Its True! AMD slashes prices, look here.

PF_Coastie
07-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Well, just as they said a couple months ago, AMD has SLASHED Prices.

Check out THIS PAGE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=50001028+2010340343+1051707439&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=343)at Newegg. The 3700+ Sandiego for $109 and the 4000+ SD for $139. Unbelievable!

So, if you don't want to go the full monty and get the new Pentium core2duo, then this is the perfect chance to get a very nice upgrade for chicken scratch.

PF_Coastie
07-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Well, just as they said a couple months ago, AMD has SLASHED Prices.

Check out THIS PAGE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=50001028+2010340343+1051707439&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=343)at Newegg. The 3700+ Sandiego for $109 and the 4000+ SD for $139. Unbelievable!

So, if you don't want to go the full monty and get the new Pentium core2duo, then this is the perfect chance to get a very nice upgrade for chicken scratch.

PF_Coastie
07-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Forgot to mention, some of the dual cores where slashed quite nicely also. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
07-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Been meaning to gather components for a substantial upgrade for my youngest and have wanted to go AMD. Looks like the iron's HOT!

TB

Aaron_GT
07-28-2006, 12:20 PM
The problem for me is a new CPU would be nice, but that means a new motherboard, and that means a new graphics card.... It then almost gets to the point I might as well get a whole new PC!

shotdownski
07-28-2006, 12:28 PM
How difficult is it to change out a cpu (I've got a relatively new system with a AMD 3200 Venice).

Is it a "plug-and-play" type deal (eg. no changes to the hard drive, drivers, etc). Or do you have to reconfigure the whole system?

Worf101
07-28-2006, 12:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shotdownski:
How difficult is it to change out a cpu (I've got a relatively new system with a AMD 3200 Venice).

Is it a "plug-and-play" type deal (eg. no changes to the hard drive, drivers, etc). Or do you have to reconfigure the whole system? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope I went from a single core AMD 64 FX-53 to a dual core FX-60 without a hitch. Just make sure you've the latest bios for your Mobo and a patched up version of XP that'll recognise and configure for dual core CPU's. After that it was Bob's your Uncle.

Da Worster

|CoB|_Spectre
07-28-2006, 12:40 PM
It's good to see the consumer getting mo' bang fo' da buck. However, some wouldn't call it "chicken scratch" if you figure many people have been nursing two year (or older) technology computers along waiting to see what their next fave game will demand. Now you're looking at a new mobo, probable new videocard )since PCI-e has pretty much replaced AGP), possible RAM change, beefier PSU, etc. That chicken scratch can add up pretty quickly. However, if you've already gone this route, a new socket compatible faster CPU might look pretty cheap. I used to think Intel was bad about changing architectures just often enough to force certain changes, but AMD's been changing socket types more often than some people change socks. It's always relative, isn't it?

Xiolablu3
07-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Looks cool!

May be time to upgrade my 2500+ which is still doing fine.

I will wait for the 4000+ to come down to about 65 I think then buy one along with a good make motherboard for 30.

carguy_
07-28-2006, 01:14 PM
If I had Athlon64/PCI express MOBO it would be cool.

But I have SocketA/AGP mobo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

Manu-6S
07-28-2006, 01:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by carguy_:
But I have SocketA/AGP mobo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine exploded 2 weeks ago...

I just bought SLI nForce590/Am2 mobo: still waiting the delivery.

Oh... Amd64 3800+ SINGLE core, waiting for a less expensive 4500+ x2 or more.

JG52Uther
07-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Xiolablu,check these prices out:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Socket_939.html

Xiolablu3
07-28-2006, 01:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Uther:
Xiolablu,check these prices out:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Socket_939.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice!

Thanks for the info. I am not quite ready to upgrade yet. I too have a socket A motherboard, so I would need a new one before I get a cpu.

I always say you should at least double your cpu power otherwise its not worth the upgrade. But seeing as its 64bit over 32 bit, I guess about 4000+ 64 bit chip woiuld be about twice the power of a Barton 2500+.

Athlon 64 motherboards will come down in price fast now too. I got my Socket A motherboard just as the A64's came out and it was 17.

The 3700 Sandiago looks good value on that page at 70 for this week only.

I am quite a cheapskate when it comes to computers, I don tsee the point in buying hte latest and greatest purely to have power that you dont use and put money into the manufacturers pockets. I am just upgrading my Geforce TI4600 to a Geforce 5900 Ultra which I bought last week for 40 inc P&P. Bargain I thought. Purely for the later pixel shader as I cant play oblivion on my TI4600.

ytareh
07-28-2006, 01:57 PM
SHOTDOWNSKI many an AMD Venice 3200 or even 3000 will effortlessly overclock to 4000 speeds.Its REALLY worth your while looking into this .The stock AMD 939 heat sink and fan cooler is actually not that bad.Best bet for beginners is to get an in Windows oC-ing software (free download often) like Fuzzy Logic or others which people here might mention...

Troll2k
07-28-2006, 06:11 PM
For those that wish to tinker the new Intel 805d can be overclocked to 3.7 on air and 4.1 on water.It costs $100.00 at http://www.zipzoomfly.com.

Here is link to an article,

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/12/your_diy_gaming_rig_for_720/

-HH-Quazi
07-28-2006, 06:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
The problem for me is a new CPU would be nice, but that means a new motherboard, and that means a new graphics card.... It then almost gets to the point I might as well get a whole new PC! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A little over $300 will get you a 3500+, a decent mobo, and an X850XT. Not bad at all.

Xiolablu3
07-28-2006, 07:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
The problem for me is a new CPU would be nice, but that means a new motherboard, and that means a new graphics card.... It then almost gets to the point I might as well get a whole new PC! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No way , mate. You will get much better components for a much cheaper price if you do it yourself.

I kept my existing monitor,keyboard, mouse, case, soundcard.

My last upgrade just as Athlon 64's were coming out - Upgraded Motherboard (17) Cpu (60) and Gfx card (40)

Got me :

MSI 6712 socket A
BArton 2500+
Geforce TI4600

Just starting to think about upgrading again now. Got me a Geforce 5900 Ultra for 40 to tide me over till next upgrade.

Dont give $1000 to a computer company when you can get a great gaming computer for $200 or less.

Aaron_GT
07-29-2006, 12:59 AM
That's what I tend to do as well, Xiolablu - stay a revision behind the bleeding edge where things are cheaper! But I have a 9800 Pro graphics card and it would be at least 80 quid to get an Nvidia card (helps with Linux) with as much power. It all adds up to around 200 quid assuming that the memory I have now is reusable. You can pick up a new PC for not much more than that, which is good value. Not any good for flight sims, though, but probably overkill for surfing the web too!

drose01
07-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Just remember if you get a new CPU AND a new motherboard that you will probably have to get a new version of Windows because it will not detect it as your old machine.

Aaron_GT
07-29-2006, 01:56 AM
You just reregister your copy (a phone call might be required - hard to do it over the internet if it isn't working!) and you are good to go.

|CoB|_Spectre
07-29-2006, 02:41 AM
A good reminder why XP Pro walks all over XP Home Edition. It doesn't have to phone home when you decide it's time to make changes to your computer. I gather Vista is going to raise OS intrusion to a whole new level
article at Tom's Hardware Guide (http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/21/the_graphics_state_of_the_union/)

F6_Ace
07-29-2006, 03:03 AM

That's exactly the situation that I'm in. I often think, 'I'll just get some extra RAM' but then I think, 'but my MB is old and what I get is unlikely to work in a new one' and so on.

This AMD news is interesting, although not entirely unexpected, though!

csThor
07-29-2006, 03:46 AM
I've bought the first components of my new computer this week:

Coolermaster Stacker BigTower
Enermax 620W power unit
LG DVD burner
LG DVD ROM

I'm waiting for late October or November to buy the rest. Currently going for an AMD FX-62 on an ASUS M2N32 WS Professional nForce590 SLI with 2GiG of RAM and a kick-@ss gfx card (currently I've got my sights on a NVIDIA 7950 with a Gig of RAM). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Xiolablu3
07-29-2006, 04:35 AM
That's what I tend to do as well, Xiolablu - stay a revision behind the bleeding edge where things are cheaper! But I have a 9800 Pro graphics card and it would be at least 80 quid to get an Nvidia card (helps with Linux) with as much power. It all adds up to around 200 quid assuming that the memory I have now is reusable. You can pick up a new PC for not much more than that, which is good value. Not any good for flight sims, though, but probably overkill for surfing the web too! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HI Aaaron. If you really want a Nvidia card then you couls go with a 5900 Ultra like I did (40) which is the same speed roughly as your 9800 Pro. Or get a 6600GT which would be a bit faster.

But why would you want to swap your 9800 Pro?

The knowledge that you gain from doing it yourself, plus the money saving is well worth it in my opinon.

A new PC for 200-300 is likely to be pretty **** I would think. Using budget parts. Probably integrated Graphics and sound or a **** GF6200/X300 card at the very most.

If you know where to get one thats good at that price then good on ya. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Grue_
07-29-2006, 06:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A good reminder why XP Pro walks all over XP Home Edition. It doesn't have to phone home when you decide it's time to make changes to your computer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spectre, that only applies to Corporate editions of XP Pro.

OEM, open license or full retail versions of XP Pro 'phone home' just the same as XP Home.

You do not have to buy a new copy of Windows if you change your hardware. You just tell the Microsoft gimp over the phone that you have upgraded your hardware and need a new registration key.

stansdds
07-29-2006, 08:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:

A little over $300 will get you a 3500+, a decent mobo, and an X850XT. Not bad at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't bother with the 3500, I have it and it's good, but the 3700 and 4000 are far better and for just a few dollars more these days.

I'm undecided on what to do. I was going to wait until next year when Windows Vista and DX10 arrived, but upgrading my 3500 to a 3700 or 4000 would probably be the best thing for me at this time. But then that leaves the video card as a weak link, currently a 6800 Ultra PCIe. The 7900GT's are sweet and now only about $300, so I guess if I upgrade the CPU I should upgrade the video card as well. My upgrade path just became an expensive project.

heywooood
07-29-2006, 08:42 AM
if you are going to jump in now (early) then make sure your mobo is SLI or crossfire capable and then get atleast 2gigs of good quality RAM

this way you can add another GPU later (you should probably also want to make sure there is a third slot for the addition of a physics card down the road too...

JG52Uther
07-29-2006, 08:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grue_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A good reminder why XP Pro walks all over XP Home Edition. It doesn't have to phone home when you decide it's time to make changes to your computer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spectre, that only applies to Corporate editions of XP Pro.

OEM, open license or full retail versions of XP Pro 'phone home' just the same as XP Home.

You do not have to buy a new copy of Windows if you change your hardware. You just tell the Microsoft gimp over the phone that you have upgraded your hardware and need a new registration key. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think this has changed now.If you fit a different motherboard,I think you have to get a new copy of windows http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

R_Target
07-29-2006, 09:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stansdds:
Don't bother with the 3500, I have it and it's good, but the 3700 and 4000 are far better and for just a few dollars more these days.

I'm undecided on what to do. I was going to wait until next year when Windows Vista and DX10 arrived, but upgrading my 3500 to a 3700 or 4000 would probably be the best thing for me at this time. But then that leaves the video card as a weak link, currently a 6800 Ultra PCIe. The 7900GT's are sweet and now only about $300, so I guess if I upgrade the CPU I should upgrade the video card as well. My upgrade path just became an expensive project. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I picked up a 7900GT a couple months ago; it really hits the sweet spot in the value department. The performance is roughly double that of my previous 6800GT.

@Uther: I switched motherboard, video, and HDD a couple months ago, and Windows worked fine. I just had to reactivate over the internet.

Xiolablu3
07-29-2006, 09:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stansdds:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:

A little over $300 will get you a 3500+, a decent mobo, and an X850XT. Not bad at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm undecided on what to do. I was going to wait until next year when Windows Vista and DX10 arrived, but upgrading my 3500 to a 3700 or 4000 would probably be the best thing for me at this time. But then that leaves the video card as a weak link, currently a 6800 Ultra PCIe. The 7900GT's are sweet and now only about $300, so I guess if I upgrade the CPU I should upgrade the video card as well. My upgrade path just became an expensive project. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why the hell do you need to upgrade a 6800 Ultra??

I IL2/FB on Perfect, hell any game on my 2500+, Geforce 5900 Ultra system.

Are you dying to put money in the manufacturers pockets? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

csThor
07-29-2006, 09:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Uther:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grue_:
You do not have to buy a new copy of Windows if you change your hardware. You just tell the Microsoft gimp over the phone that you have upgraded your hardware and need a new registration key. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this has changed now.If you fit a different motherboard,I think you have to get a new copy of windows http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. My old MoBo blew up in my face three months ago and I had to change it plus the gfx card it took along over river Jordan http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif
I installed the new components, adjusted my router settings (because of new MAC address) and my XP "called home" and re-registered flawlessly.

Aaron_GT
07-29-2006, 09:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">HI Aaaron. If you really want a Nvidia card then you couls go with a 5900 Ultra like I did (40) which is the same speed roughly as your 9800 Pro. Or get a 6600GT which would be a bit faster. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd only seen comparasions of the 5900 stock with the 9800 Pro, and it didn't look favourable. I can pick up an AGP 6800 second hand for about 90, but 40 might be a good compromise if it is no worse. It would be nice to be able to run Linux with some eye candy, and the ATI drivers are a pain for this. Maybe one last try with ATI on Linux and then I'll see if I can pick up a 5900 for the time being and sell the 9800... And then do a big upgrade at some point in the future after BoB has come out and people are flogging off their older stuff after Christmas.

JG52Uther
07-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the correction guys.I am sure I read somewhere that you had to buy another copy of windows.Good news then!

GerritJ9
07-29-2006, 11:38 AM
AMD are replacing Socket 939 with Socket AM2, hence the price drop. I will probably wait until AM2 mobos and CPUs are readily available, though it does mean switching to DDR2 and PCI-E (am on Socket A and AGP now).

PF_Coastie
07-29-2006, 03:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GerritJ9:
AMD are replacing Socket 939 with Socket AM2, hence the price drop. I will probably wait until AM2 mobos and CPUs are readily available, though it does mean switching to DDR2 and PCI-E (am on Socket A and AGP now). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They will eventually switch over to AM2, But that is not the reason for this price drop.

This is a move to try to slow the migration of the masses to the new Pentium Conroe chip which was officially released on the 26th. They needed to do something for now because they have no answer for the conroe for a while yet.

shotdownski
07-30-2006, 10:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
SHOTDOWNSKI many an AMD Venice 3200 or even 3000 will effortlessly overclock to 4000 speeds.Its REALLY worth your while looking into this .The stock AMD 939 heat sink and fan cooler is actually not that bad.Best bet for beginners is to get an in Windows oC-ing software (free download often) like Fuzzy Logic or others which people here might mention... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's kinda why I went with the Venice, even though I'm a computer noob and a bit intimidated by the whole overclocking idea. If you screw up overclocking the CPU, what's the worst that can happen...fry the CPU?

mortoma1958
07-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Does anybody have a list of all the AMD processors of the last two years or so?? And which ones are 64 bit as opposed to 32 and which ones are dual core?? An inclusion of the code names like "Barton" or whatever would be nice too. Also the socket info along with it all.

Just that this stuff is getting to be quite confusing!!! By the way, I'm still squeaking by with an AMD XP-2100 Palamino core, circa early 2002!!! God help me!!! It's actualy speed is only 1733Mhz (1.733Ghz), somebody help me......pleeeeesse, can't hold out here much longer......send Lassie to go get help quick....lol

BaronUnderpants
07-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Just got new parts for my old pc.

AMD Athlon64 Venice 90nm 3500+ 2.2Ghz 512 kb

Corsair VS512MB400 Value Select 512Mb DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin CL2.5 (To ad to my existing 512 Mb = 1 GB )

Will get another Gfx card as soon as possible, GForce 6600GT or better. ( Now running in GForce4 Ti4200 )

Oh, and my connection is 8/1 Mbit speed.

Would be nice to get some recomendations from a pc buff about wich settings i could run PF in, without increasing studders and so on. the higher settings the better. I do value smooth playing first, nice looking game comes second.

And a thought on how BoB will run on the new stuff, good enough or will i need to update one step more before BoB gets out?

heywooood
07-30-2006, 04:08 PM
BU - I have been running a rig equal to the one you are upgrading to - I did the same thing last summer. This sim runs sweet at 1600x1200 res
2xAA 2xAF in Perfect with water=2 on my 6600gt
very few stutters and only where you would expect them.

You and I will both need to upgrade again after BoB comes out be sure.

VW-IceFire
07-30-2006, 04:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drose01:
Just remember if you get a new CPU AND a new motherboard that you will probably have to get a new version of Windows because it will not detect it as your old machine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It will if you use a PCI Network Card (NIC) and you bring the NIC along with you to the new PC. It works like a charm. I never had to call anyone to move between my old system and my current system.

Its getting time for a new system mind you (its 4 years old and while fantastic and still a good performer its starting to show its age) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BaronUnderpants
07-30-2006, 04:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heywooood:
BU - I have been running a rig equal to the one you are upgrading to - I did the same thing last summer. This sim runs sweet at 1600x1200 res
2xAA 2xAF in Perfect with water=2 on my 6600gt
very few stutters and only where you would expect them.

You and I will both need to upgrade again after BoB comes out be sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thx, thats what i suspected, o whell, the gf dont mind me spending unknown amount of money just to play even more http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Operation "SweetButter" comencing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

stansdds
07-31-2006, 03:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

Why the hell do you need to upgrade a 6800 Ultra??

I IL2/FB on Perfect, hell any game on my 2500+, Geforce 5900 Ultra system.

Are you dying to put money in the manufacturers pockets? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not really looking forward to lining their pockets. I think I will upgrade the CPU, then let the remainder go until DX10 and Windows Vista arrive.

Grue_
07-31-2006, 06:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No, not really looking forward to lining their pockets. I think I will upgrade the CPU, then let the remainder go until DX10 and Windows Vista arrive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought a Venice 3200 and 850XT PE last Jan for not much money for a new rig and am waiting as long as possible before buying an S939 X2 4800 as the 3200 copes well with anything I am running at the moment (it's oc'd to 2.5Ghz tho).

When BoB/FSX comes out I'll try the 850XT and see how it copes but I won't replace it until the DX10 video cards are released in time for Vista next year.