PDA

View Full Version : Why we all love CFS3

brasil66
12-09-2004, 10:26 AM
With all the posts regarding the new Track IR features and the wonders of CFS, I thought I'd boot it up today and give it another whirl. After all, I DO have "Firepower" along with 2gig of RAM and a bran new 6800GT.
So I put in the CD and the main screen finally appears (after about 2minutes) but its on very low res. A quick trip to the OPtions menu will settle things..right!? I wonder how good this will look on my new card with graphics turned up?
So...graphics to max on all areas (planes, scenery, clouds, effects) and a resolution of 1024x780 with 32 bit color. A click on the "Apply" key and............BLACK SCREEN LOCKUP.
Now I recall why most of us use these disks for coasters...with or without Firepower...with or without 6DOFV or whatever. The game is just a Frankenstein monster cobbled together to give a semblance of a real game, but failing to do so in the end.

THANKS AGAIN, OLEG, for what you have given us!

BuzzU
12-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Some guys say the same thing about Lock On, but it runs smooth for me. Are you sure your super system is so super? I never had a problem running CF3. It just sucked, so I gave it away.

ucanfly
12-09-2004, 10:51 AM
AT the risk of sounding like a troll, running a flight sim on a PC sometimes requires a little more patience than that. AFAIK console games are the only nearly bulletproof games that exist.

Even with PF I had to figure out little things like why it didn't launch from my DVD rom or how to remove stuttering or sound echoes and the like. It is interesting that there are apparently a few people with very substantial rigs that sometimes have trouble with PF as well. The moer advanced a flightsim the more it seems you have to tweak it out.

Fennec_P
12-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Well, good for you.

I find it funny that LOMAC will CTD just by opening the map screen, or the cockpit will vanish if you fire a maverick, whereas the IL-2 series will run rock solid through the most hellish flak and clouds of fighters on a PII w/ voodoo 3. Like, half the sys req.

No crashes, no blue screens, no disappearing graphics, no flickering textures, just 5 fps of flight simming action.

This fact, more than anything else, is why IL-2 rules.

brasil66
12-09-2004, 10:53 AM
I understand that one needs to work around some things with a game and I dont mean to imply that I have a supersystem. Far from it.
Its just that this sort of thing happens CONSTANTLY with CFS, at least in my experience. Its just so flakey. Last time I ran it on my older 5700fx...it ran okay , but only at low settings or it was a slide show.
I've never had any problems like this with IL2, FB, AEP or PF. Nothing even close.
I guess my point was that having this 6DOF (or whatever) does not a great game make.

LEXX_Luthor
12-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Just installed Windows on new Semperon 3100+ with ATI~9200 system, LOMAC installed but wouldn't load. O.R.B would run but mouse freeze. For test, installed full FB/AEP/FP and smooth as silk (playing 3.02b in another folder, but saving this fresh FBP install for future clean Patching/Addons). Smoothest installing game ever. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

TrekkieIR http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Spock! All

BuzzU
12-09-2004, 11:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fennec_P:
Well, good for you.

I find it funny that LOMAC will CTD just by opening the map screen, or the cockpit will vanish if you fire a maverick, whereas the IL-2 series will run rock solid through the most hellish flak and clouds of fighters on a PII w/ voodoo 3. Like, half the sys req.

No crashes, no blue screens, no disappearing graphics, no flickering textures, just 5 fps of flight simming action.

This fact, more than anything else, is why IL-2 rules. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also find it funny that it happens to you. I've never had any of those problems. Lock On runs as smooth as FB for me. Maybe even better. I always have slight stutters in FB, and never get them in Lock On.

There's more to building a system than pluging in the parts. Using hardware that works together with no conflicts in important. Do you have any IRQ conflicts? If you're using XP, have you made a gaming OS out of it by removing all the **** that's in it? Etc Etc...

buz13
12-09-2004, 11:02 AM
My experience with CFS3 and Firepower is that it takes much more work to keep the thing running well....This is not a sim for the computer novice.
On the other hand the IL2 series has always been stable on my system and never been a hassel....
My guess is from reading all sorts of posts that this is true for most people who have both.
Which is too bad because CFS3 with Firepower is a fun sim when running properly....

WOLFMondo
12-09-2004, 11:08 AM
I reinstalled it the other day for some Tempest action...and hastily uninstalled it 20 minutes later. No problems or crashes, just complete disappointment from a mediocre game.

brasil66
12-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Didnt mean to start a flame war here, guys. Sorry. Especially not one on LOMAC! :-)
It DOES take more "maintenance" to keep CFS3 running "well". That seems odd as CFS2 always ran fine on my old system and I kind of liked it.
Maybe, when I have more time, I'll try to tweak CFS3 to actually run on my system but will leave it sit for now.
I was really just responding to those saying they'll jump over to CFS because of this new Track IR feature. I just dont understand that kind of thinking, given the problems I've always had with the game.

Again I say...THANKS OLEG!

Chuck_Older
12-09-2004, 11:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BuzzU:
I never had a problem running CF3. It just sucked <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

great quote http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

trap46
12-09-2004, 01:09 PM
For those that have low end computers, CFS3 will never work good enough for you!
We should recognize that no flight simmulator is great just out of the box. In CFS3, modders have made it into a great simulator.
Pacific Fighters is not great, just out of the box! I have flown over islands in the pacific and seen trees that come down to the shore line, the islands I have seen in PF have a few trees in the middle and that's it.
TrackIR is great and is even better in CFS3 and with the new Victor, it is going to blow away flight simulators.

TheGozr
12-09-2004, 01:14 PM
I actually agree with the CSF3 sim, It's not user friendly to make it run smooth, too many thing to change on that game. I will take CSF3 like a pre ALPHA state game. many bugs many glinch etc..
CSF3 was a complete desaster until yesterday.

yesterday i made the track ir work with it, CSF3 + Firepower. NOW i can see the good of having the 6 dof setings. I will anderstand NOW that some pilots will stick with it ( i had fun ).
In my opinion This new option will defenitly open many doors to mods makers for CSF3.
I have it i will be able to test the physics and differents things coming into that game.
The land is not nice at al but take it like a testing ground pre alpha state of a futur sim for new stuff unlike il2's.

ps: Understand what i'm saying i always prefer il2 with out a dought but basicly CSF3 is a Testing ground now.

TheGozr
12-09-2004, 01:19 PM
BTW il2 isn't it a Mod for some other engine?
Isn't oleg just a Mod maker with a lots of datas regarding planes?

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
12-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Yeah thats the mark of a truely gr8 flight sim! The number of tree's on a fakking island!! Away back to woodstock you gert bloody hippie before I fetch the inquisition onto you and stack some tree's beneath you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Soak_
12-09-2004, 01:46 PM
I have Track IR PRO with version 3.01 software installed and it works fine with IL2/AEP/PF but not in CFS3. My question is version 1.6 which supposed to work in CFS3 an addon software or do I have uninstall 3.01 and then install 1.6?? I tempted to try but don't want to run the risk of screwing up what already works.

TheGozr
12-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Soak:

http://www.french.themotorhead.com/il2/viewtopic.php?t=119

thefarb2
12-09-2004, 02:00 PM
microsoft stopped supporting cfs3 almost immediatley. you have to use a very old driver for it to run, a cat 3.10 I think. worst support ever.

TheGozr
12-09-2004, 02:06 PM
??? no sens.
using cat 4.11 work smooth , can not be better. You cann see the video in the link above.

BuzzU
12-09-2004, 02:14 PM
I'll try the new TrackIR features in FS2004, but CF3 can kiss my a$$.

trap46
12-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Untill CFS3 is added to list (software 4) e=mail me 46_trap@verizon.net and I will send you a little program to make it work.

Eraser_tr
12-09-2004, 04:09 PM
run the cfs3config program. Then try running the game, oh and there's a PATCH just like the il2 series has had. I've never had trouble with cfs3.

I find it ironic how people here show patience for the problems of one game, but none from another.

Yes, I would agree it is a mediocre sim out of the box. If you simply install and then play it with the stock scenery, planes/flight models. It will suck. It's an amazing game with new scenery(very high res stuff available) superb flight models and graphics(avhistory fm)(Fox's or firepower's effects) Do not judge cfs3 by whats on the CD, judge it by what is on the net.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
12-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Well dang!?!

I dunno where all these bloody deviants started poping up from (MSZONE perhaps?) but it looks like some one has been falling asleep on the job.

I believe its time for a few words from every ones favourite Inquisitor I give you

MR. Torquemada:--

BE PURE BE VIGILANT BEHAVE

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/tHeBaLrOgRoCkS/point.jpg

Now there's a guy after my own heart http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Korolov
12-09-2004, 05:54 PM
Some people like CFS, some like FB. Play whichever one you like - that's all it comes down to.

TotenTanzen
12-09-2004, 06:11 PM
I think the snow with purple stripes in it did it for me in CFS3. Never could figure out what caused that little number to occur.

Eraser_tr
12-09-2004, 06:49 PM
video driver glitch most likely.

Dammit why does everyone here think it has to be one or the other? I have, play and love both games. They each have their set of strength's and weaknesses and having both you get the best of everything.

ImpStarDuece
12-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Hmm.. what didnt i like about CFS3.

Actually, in order for me not to write a magnum opus maybe i should write about what i liked in CFS3.

^^^Short list isn't it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif^^^^^

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
12-09-2004, 08:47 PM
No one is seriously objecting to anyone playing both. I think what is irritating, is folk coming to this IL2 FORUM saying that somehow CFS3 is gona smoke IL2 just because its been frigged enough to support a feature that around (rough guess) 75% of the community dont use with this current simulator.

FFS let the guy move on will yah what would you rather have him do waste his time frigging around with what is now becoming an aging game engine that has almost reached the limits of its functionality or move on and develop a new game engine that will at least possibly have the capacity to cope with the demands made by these new emerging technologies?

Bottom line is you all have a choice if you dont like the ones given you by Oleg then vote with your feet!

Personaly I think you will find its a little lonely in the online CFS3 community myself but I aint stopping you or anyone else. Just don't come back here *****ing cos you can't find anyone to play with.

F4U_Flyer
12-09-2004, 10:36 PM
"Just don't come back here *****ing cos you can't find anyone to play with."

Great way to treat the new people here who enjoy both , no all flight sims but it appears the dreaded fanboy thinks his sim is the only one worth playing or even trying. I have all the cfs series as well as fs9 and eaw and il2 ,fb , aep , pf and also b17 ... well i could go on but you get my meaning. Each sim has its good points and its rough spots but the community is where it really is and i must say i have never seen so many my way or the hiway people on any other forum as this one! Ive cruised netwings ,soh , simhq , ubi and more but this place has the most fanboy diehards i have ever seen on any site. Doesnt mean i wont check this site but i guess i better be careful what i say so i dont get flamed by the fanatical ones! "Deep breath" , Oh and by the way im playin pf merged right now and its a pretty good game that needs a little work. oleg will get to it im sure and thats what makes this game pretty darn good. Ms doesnt support there product much but makes it open so some great modders can make it what that community likes. Seems like the best of both worlds to me!

~S~

SeaFireLIV
12-09-2004, 11:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:

Now there's a guy after my own heart http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, now that brings back the memories. In my early drawing days I copied the entire 1st Nemisis series! One of the ways I spruced up my ability!

The Inquisition they were so... MEAN! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif
(p.s. I spent TWO months trying to get to like CFS3 - no go).

Old_Canuck
12-09-2004, 11:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thefarb2:
microsoft stopped supporting cfs3 almost immediatley. you have to use a very old driver for it to run, a cat 3.10 I think. worst support ever. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree. I believe CFS3 was rushed to the shelves for the sole purpose of stealing market share from FB. It's amazing the junk you can sell with the right kind of advertizing.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
12-10-2004, 02:40 AM
First off this took me longer than planned to type but I felt your post deserved a decent response to clarify my position to you on this subject and your own post's

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by F4U_Flyer:
"Just don't come back here *****ing cos you can't find anyone to play with."

Great way to treat the new people here who enjoy both , no all flight sims but it appears the dreaded fanboy thinks his sim is the only one worth playing or even trying. I have all the cfs series as well as fs9 and eaw and il2 ,fb , aep , pf and also b17 ... well i could go on but you get my meaning. Each sim has its good points and its rough spots but the community is where it really is and i must say i have never seen so many my way or the hiway people on any other forum as this one! Ive cruised netwings ,soh , simhq , ubi and more but this place has the most fanboy diehards i have ever seen on any site. Doesnt mean i wont check this site but i guess i better be careful what i say so i dont get flamed by the fanatical ones! "Deep breath" , Oh and by the way im playin pf merged right now and its a pretty good game that needs a little work. oleg will get to it im sure and thats what makes this game pretty darn good. Ms doesnt support there product much but makes it open so some great modders can make it what that community likes. Seems like the best of both worlds to me!

~S~ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ohh dear it would appear I may have over done it again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Look mate I have no issue with anyone playing cfs3 or any other sim for that matter. I for one got a real jolly outta crimson skies and mechwarrior for a bit and believe me I can here the screams of outrage and deviant at the very mention of these products. But I dont care fact is I had fun and nobodies opinion in here is gona change that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I would hope you feel the same way.

Anyhoo to clarify:-

What I don't try and do though is take the attitude that just because some other product I bought got a new bell, the developers of another product should instantly bend to my will and compromise their own standards to satisfy my need for said bell to be incorporated in their product also. Furthermore I do not continue to pester and badger said developer after he has reasonably explained the reason that that bell cannot be incorporated at this time but that you may get a airhorn and bicycle if you are prepared to wait.

I guess the best way to put it is :-

Question: Gee that new VW beetle has really great all round visability good fuel consumption and its great for parking! Why cant my Ferrari 250 LM be like that?

Answer: because then it would be a bloody VW beetle and not a Ferrari 250 LM

What you are currently seeing in the 6d0f (or whatever the hell you wana call it) debate is a bunch of folk that are trying to force , in a very unsubtle school yard manner, the developer of a sim they get great value from and that they know deep down to be better than anything else on the market currently for the same price. To add a feature that they can only get by using a product that cannot fufil the requirments they have come to expect from this one. It also seems to me that the other product in question here namely cfs3 only supports the feature in question by the happy fluke that due to earlier unwillingness to spend time tweaking their game engine and there models to give better performance for the 'family to feed users' as well as the so called 'high end' disposable income brigade that 6dof is actually possible. Lucky break for microsoft and I am sure they constantly thank their third party modders and developers for all the work they put into their product after it was spewed vomit like onto the shelf. I am also fairly certain that microsoft had very little to do with the functionality that Np have provided for their product also and will thank them just as much as they have every one else that has contributed their hard work to breath life into what was essentialy in market terms a dead product.

This whole 6dof argument for il2 series as Oleg seems to be trying to explain is the programming equivalent of cutting of your nose to spite your face. And is why IMO he would rather move on and work on a newer engine etc than cobble together some hokey modification that will only show his and many other coder's modlers and skinners hard work in a less than deserved poor light.

Most of the CFS3 bashing that goes on here is generaly only tounge in cheek and is just what you would expect if you were to go to a dedicated cfs3 forum and start demanding that microsoft changed there product to be more like Il2 sturmovik.

finaly if my comments some how made you feel bullied picked on or singled out or unwelcome in any fashion then I appologise.

Please do not take so much of the crӞp that is dished out here by myself and others as some kind of personal attack. I can assure you that for my part it is not intended to do so and most of what I type is purely purile and intended to help me while away the hours before home time.

Cheers

BaLrOg

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
12-10-2004, 02:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:

Now there's a guy after my own heart http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, now that brings back the memories. In my early drawing days I copied the entire 1st Nemisis series! One of the ways I spruced up my ability!

The Inquisition they were so... MEAN! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif
(p.s. I spent TWO months trying to get to like CFS3 - no go). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rgr that Seafire http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Nemisis really rocked the big one back in the day (although I was a big first series abc warrior fan back then too) I woulda posted a better image but I fear the Terminators may not be quite PC enough for todays sensative souls http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

check the link and take the purity test if you dare http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

http://www.dreamnation.fsnet.co.uk/terminus/

I fear many here would reap the rewards of the inqusition http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

joeap
12-10-2004, 03:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trap46:
For those that have low end computers, CFS3 will never work good enough for you!
We should recognize that no flight simmulator is great just out of the box. In CFS3, modders have made it into a great simulator.
Pacific Fighters is not great, just out of the box! I have flown over islands in the pacific and seen trees that come down to the shore line, the islands I have seen in PF have a few trees in the middle and that's it.
TrackIR is great and is even better in CFS3 and with the new Victor, it is going to blow away flight simulators. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I have trees not only on the shore but even some mangroves in a lagoon, try the Palau map.

DuxCorvan
12-10-2004, 03:09 AM
Well dang!?!

I dunno where all these bloody deviants started poping up from (MSZONE perhaps?) but it looks like some one has been falling asleep on the job.

I believe its time for a few words from every ones favourite Inquisitor I give you

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/tHeBaLrOgRoCkS/point.jpg

Just to remind it, Fray Tomás de Torquemada (1420-1498), is a historical guy. He was one of the first general inquisidors of the Modern Spanish Inquisition fundated by the Catholic Kings, Ferdinand V and Isabella I. He was so fanatic and excessive that they had to find a substitute...

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
12-10-2004, 03:32 AM
Yes yes I am fully aware of the character he is based on and the gory history behind him and the true 'inquisition' Dux which I in no way condone or admire or idolise.

Also some of my ancestral clansmen were possibly guilty of burning witches too back in the bad old days but I am buggerd if I am gona be held responsible for that.

I guess I should have known better but there you go. In my defence you will (if you follow the link -- again I stress this may not be to every ones taste ) find the character above I refer to was a comic book character that many of the 30 something brits over here read as youngsters.
Misguided ? possibly who knows ? I am sure much of what was deemed acceptable back then would not stand up to the Morals of today's scociety.

None the less I have never actualy burned a witch myself or for that matter intend to and I promise I wont start torturing heratics in the forseable future either.

Honest

Regards

BaLrOg

by way of penance for my sins I give you this lovley fluffy buny

http://www.mybunnies.com/images/graphics/ani2bun.gif

Nubarus
12-10-2004, 03:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGozr:
BTW il2 isn't it a Mod for some other engine?
Isn't oleg just a Mod maker with a lots of datas regarding planes? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, they designed their own engine.

SeaFireLIV
12-10-2004, 04:37 AM

by way of penance for my sins I give you this lovley fluffy buny

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO! The fluffy bunny dies now! Be good as a nice stew. Where`s my cooking pot?

p.s ABC Warriors were excellent! They were like old friends... Hammerstein was my favourite.

thefarb2
12-11-2004, 07:41 AM
my machine runs every game very well accept cfs3, poopy poopy.

DuxCorvan
12-11-2004, 07:48 AM
None the less I have never actualy burned a witch myself or for that matter intend to and I promise I wont start torturing heratics in the forseable future either. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif It's an amusing sport. Witch burning is like chip eating... once you start, you can't burn only one! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Besides, you said you wouldn't torture anyone, and then you put that terrible fluffy bunny, that scared the hell off me... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

musickna
12-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Clearly the reason why all these 6DOF & CFS3 posts are popping up here is simply that FB/PF is the place for combat flight simulation action. So few people play CFS3 in comparison, that even if just a few of us drag out our disused copies of CFS3 and fire up 6DOF, it may boost 6DOF sales quite significantly! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I may well be one of those, but CFS3 will never supplant FB/PF simply because it lacks so many of the features that I like in FB/PF. With FS2004, it will be a different story, but that is a different type of game altogether. FS2004 is the only real reason to get 6DOF at the moment, at least as far as flight simulators are concerned.

Popey109
12-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Don€t lock it yet! I have an opinion!...AI wing commands, complete ****, game engine doesn€t simulate high speed stall or spin, complete ****, AI cant land, complete ****, external bubble views, complete ****, campaign LOL! Complete ****, on-line play, complete ****, compatible with M$ FFB, complete ****, terrain, complete ****, external visual damage model, complete ****, stability even on high end PC, complete ****, Those people who reviewed CFS3 before its release, and told me how great it was! Liars and frauds, I will never believe a word out of there mouths again! Those people who€ve work too make it as good as it is€¦The Best€¦but misguided, it€s not a simulator€¦it was designed for XBOX€¦6dof will not repair the damage done by M$... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif