PDA

View Full Version : How to trim and what is the "normal" view setting ?

rijnton1944
11-28-2004, 05:35 AM
As a newbie I have 2 questions:
1)When I am flying most of the times my plane tends to climb with the stick in neutral position. I already read somewhere that you have to trim the elevator then. However it's not completely clear to me how to do that. I see options for Negative, Positive and Neutral. Which options do I have to use for what purpose ? Especially the Neutral isn't clear to me.
And is it best to assign these to my joystick (Logitech Cordless Freedom) or is it better to leave it to the keyboard ?
2) What is the normal view setting ? Maybe a bit strange question for you, but I am also new with flight sims. I suppose it's a matter of taste, but do you "normally" fly in cockpit view or in external view ?

AlGroover
11-28-2004, 05:45 AM
I have positive and negative elevator trim bound to left and right mouse buttons with throttle control via the mouse wheel (MS cordless). With most other weapon and view controls mapped to the joysick (Saitek Cyborg evo) in combination with mouse view, I rarely have to use the keyboard.

Tully__
11-28-2004, 05:59 AM
Any aicraft will only fly level without control input at one speed. If you want to fly at any other speed, you either have to hold constant control input or "trim" the aircraft by changing weight distribution or the balance of the control surfaces.

Because it can be hard to move cargo around in flight, most aircraft are equipped with adjustable tabs on the trailing edge of the control surfaces that allow the pilot to change the "at rest" position of the controls. All you need to do is play with the negative and positive trim controls until you don't need to hold the joystick at the speed you wish to fly and you're "trimmed" for that speed.

----

What is considered normal is as you surmise... a matter of taste. The control in the game labelled "Normal View" is actually a field of view setting. The game allows field of view to be varied between 30 degrees high and 90 degrees high. The narrowest is labelled "Gunsight View", the widest is labelled "Wide View" and 70 degrees high is labelled "Normal View". You can also step in 5 degree increments using the "Increase FOV" and "Decrease FOV" controls (user defined).

rijnton1944
11-28-2004, 06:33 AM
Thank you both for replying.
But what's Neutral trim for then ?
And am I right that Postive is for pointing the nose more downwards and Negative for more upwards ?

DmdSeeker
11-28-2004, 07:52 AM
Trim:

There's a lot of forces that work on a plane; especially a propeller plane. These include (though there are more) the lifting force of the wings (which moves around a bit at different speeds); the "cyclone" effect of the propwash hitting the wings and tail; the gyroscopic effect of the propeller; the gyroscopic effect of the rotating engine masses; fuel wieght and so on.

All these forces will, at some point( or speed); be in balance. At this point; there's no residual out of balance forces and you can take your hands off the stick. Indeed; early planes had no cockpit trim at all; the plane was rigged on the ground to fly hands off at a specified speed (usually cruise); all other speeds would need pressure on the stick to remain flying level. If you've ever watched a WWII bomber movie; you'll note they never say "we're losing speed!"; they say "we're losing altitude!"; because the plane is trimed to fly a set speed; and if it begins to lose power; it will by nature begin a gentle dive to maintain the speed it's set to.

Imagine your plane generates enough lift at 250 mph to fly level. If you then add power; you'll not only generate more speed; you'll generate more lift; more gyroscopic force from engine/prop and more "cyclone" hitting the wings and tail and so on. In a very simple plane; you'd counteract all this by moving the stick; which means flying for hours on end with (for example) your left foot holding pressure on the rudder and holding the stick slightly forward and left; which is how an early Me.109 flies at speed.

However; in later models; it's possible to trim the plane by moving small, secondary control surfaces to "trim out" these out of balance forces to enable you to fly "hands off" at any given speed.

(bear in mind that not all planes have trim in all three axis).

When it comes to in-game controls there are two things to consider: Do you place trim on a slider or a button. Due to the way the game is programmed; putting trim on a slider (such as the throttle lever, mouse wheel or similar) takes immeadiate effect; while hitting a key has a delayed effect. With that in mind; if you don't have a spare slider there's not a lot to be gained by mapping it to a stick button; but it's a matter of taste.

(Positive trim is nose up; negative is nose down; neutral is return to dead centre).

Views: Online these are largely governed by server settings. Off-line; fly it how you like; but I think most would agree that the "most real" settings are inside view with the cockpit enabled; but I have to admit I often use inside view, cockpit off when doing ground attack; it's just more fun (for me!) that way.

Tully__
11-29-2004, 12:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rijnton1944:
Thank you both for replying.
But what's Neutral trim for then ?
And am I right that Postive is for pointing the nose more downwards and Negative for more upwards ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Neutral" trim returns the trim tabs to their default position. In most aircraft at the most recent patch version, that corresponds to level flight somewhere in the range 310-360km/h.

I don't recall if adding positive trim will push the nose down or pull it up. Try it and see.