PDA

View Full Version : Computer for SHIII ?

Stingray-65
12-11-2007, 08:35 PM
My old rig died & my new one (actually my wife's) won't run SHIII because it uses Vista. (Can't say enough bad things about Vista. I'm convinced Bill Gates designed it as revenge to spite everyone who complained about Windows 98 etc. I can see it now; "Oh yeah, you thought that operating system sucked??? Try THIS!!! Muhahaha" Seriously, it "looks cool" but it ISN'T!

Anyway... I miss SHIII. IMHO one of the best sims ever & I could play it at my leisure which was probably my favorite thing about it as my recreational time is limited. I used to start the game up, plot a course & then go wash dishes, do laundry, vacuum or whatever & check on it every 15 or 30 minutes or so to see if anything had happened.

That being said, if I were to build a new computer, what mother board, video card, etc, would you recommend? I'm assuming Windows 2000 or XP would be the recommended operating system.

Stingray-65
12-11-2007, 08:35 PM
My old rig died & my new one (actually my wife's) won't run SHIII because it uses Vista. (Can't say enough bad things about Vista. I'm convinced Bill Gates designed it as revenge to spite everyone who complained about Windows 98 etc. I can see it now; "Oh yeah, you thought that operating system sucked??? Try THIS!!! Muhahaha" Seriously, it "looks cool" but it ISN'T!

Anyway... I miss SHIII. IMHO one of the best sims ever & I could play it at my leisure which was probably my favorite thing about it as my recreational time is limited. I used to start the game up, plot a course & then go wash dishes, do laundry, vacuum or whatever & check on it every 15 or 30 minutes or so to see if anything had happened.

That being said, if I were to build a new computer, what mother board, video card, etc, would you recommend? I'm assuming Windows 2000 or XP would be the recommended operating system.

tambor198
12-11-2007, 09:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stingray-65:
My old rig died & my new one (actually my wife's) won't run SHIII because it uses Vista. (Can't say enough bad things about Vista. I'm convinced Bill Gates designed it as revenge to spite everyone who complained about Windows 98 etc. I can see it now; "Oh yeah, you thought that operating system lsucked??? Try THIS!!! Muhahaha" Seriously, it "looks cool" but it ISN'T!

That being said, if I were to build a new computer, what mother board, video card, etc, would you recommend? I'm assuming Windows 2000 or XP would be the recommended operating system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have SHIII running on Vista at the moment and it runs fine, just trying to get the resolution thing worked out. But as neither of us want to debate the qualities of Vista I won't go any further with this part of the discussion.

Definitely go with XP, XP Pro I would suggest. Bottom line here is what kinda of budget are you looking to stay in with this new computer. That will have a lot to determine what parts you can get.

Mittelwaechter
12-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Try to reuse parts of your old rig.

Case, power supply, drives, maybe the harddrive, even RAM is maybe reusable... and of course all peripherals.

"Up to date" motherboard, processor and graphics card plus matching coolers depend on your actual want/need (Gamer/MultiMedia/Office-PC?)
Make sure you can upgrade RAM, chip and graphics.

PS: http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif I saw you sent some greetings via PM. Sorry I didn't answer.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Von_Mullett
12-12-2007, 08:03 AM
I use vista too.

I had a problem with the starforce protection thing. I ran SH3 as administrator (right click on SH3 icon on desktop) after downloading the starforce patch.

Worked for me.