PDA

View Full Version : It will be a cold cold Christmas....

ytareh
12-08-2007, 02:48 AM
.....If I have to spend a week at the inlaws without the net so PLEASE help diagnose the problem theyre having with their new Broadband!!!

Father in Law in England switched from Wannadoo dial up to BT Broadband. He can recieve broadband fine on his laptop with the 'wired' connection but no matter what he tries he cant get it to work on his desktop (AMD 1900/.skt462 cpu Windows ME os)The BT software that came on the cd says the connection problem is between the 'hub' and his PC.Ive tried to help him over the phone with Network Connections in Control Panel and Internet Options /Connections to no avail .He is trying to use a PCI Ethernet card and has installed the cd driver that came with it .
Any thoughts appreciated....Needless to say Tech Support phone line based thousands of miles away is useless to him

ytareh
12-08-2007, 02:48 AM
.....If I have to spend a week at the inlaws without the net so PLEASE help diagnose the problem theyre having with their new Broadband!!!

Father in Law in England switched from Wannadoo dial up to BT Broadband. He can recieve broadband fine on his laptop with the 'wired' connection but no matter what he tries he cant get it to work on his desktop (AMD 1900/.skt462 cpu Windows ME os)The BT software that came on the cd says the connection problem is between the 'hub' and his PC.Ive tried to help him over the phone with Network Connections in Control Panel and Internet Options /Connections to no avail .He is trying to use a PCI Ethernet card and has installed the cd driver that came with it .
Any thoughts appreciated....Needless to say Tech Support phone line based thousands of miles away is useless to him

FoolTrottel
12-08-2007, 03:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any thoughts appreciated... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
XP would make a nice Christmas Gift... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Find out what TCP/IP settings apply to the laptop. Start, Run, cmd, ipconfig.

The try and assign a similar TCP/IP address on the ME pc, keeping the first three parts equal, and the Subnet and the Default Gateway. (Just pick a number higher than the laptop's.)

Example: If this is the output of the laptop's ipconfig command:
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.154
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138</pre>

Then use on the ME Pc's the IP Address 10.0.0.155, Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0 and default gateway 10.0.0.138

Assuming there's no cabling issue...

This is not really the correct way to do it, but it may just work!
(Can't remember how 98/ME's network settings work... can't check 'm, haven't got 98 around anymore...)

x6BL_Brando
12-08-2007, 03:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">XP would make a nice Christmas Gift... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fool, you are so right about that!!! I can remember trying to run networking on ME-based rigs and rarely managing to keep it all together for more than 24 hours at a stretch. It is worse now that ME is unsupported and everything is aimed at XP or Vista.

All I can remember was needing to run the XP Networking Wizard (on the XP machine) and then make a floppy(!) that is used on other machines in the Network, or something similar. Having a BT hub doesn't help either. XP is really the best answer here.

B

ytareh
12-09-2007, 03:34 AM
Actually turns out he IS on XP....any further help appreciated

Monterey13
12-09-2007, 07:21 AM
Is he actually using a hub, or a router? I use a hub with two pc's, and I have 2 IP addresses. Otherwise it doesn't work. If it's a router, and the cable is ok, I would suspect the ethernet card. Have him check to see if the green light is on at the card where the cable plugs in.

You can also try this...

start/programs/accessories/command prompt
type in ipconfig /release *con*
then after it releases, type in ipconfig /renew

LEBillfish
12-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Call up their Internet Service Provider.....What you pay them for. It's their job to get you up and running.

DuxCorvan
12-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Or you can spend more time with your family, playing board games, helping the ladies in the kitchen, talking to the elders, reading Dickens for the kids by the fire, inviting your friends, etc.

Wasting Xmas time in the Internet is what I call a cold cold Christmas. You'll miss it when you don't have it any more.

x6BL_Brando
12-09-2007, 09:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Call up their Internet Service Provider.....What you pay them for. It's their job to get you up and running </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's very true, Billfish - but I can see you haven't experienced the British Telecom 'sink-hole of support'. Because they are the owners of all the telephone services, exchanges, lines above and below, etc, they think they own the world.

I agree about the separate internal LAN addresses, but that should be easy to arrange using the Networking Wizard in XP. The BT hub is just a router and therefore has the WAN address (External IP) 'built in'.

B

SidCheshire
12-09-2007, 04:57 PM
I really don't think BTs infrastructure is set up for Broadband - it appears they are using the wiring insitu to deliver multimeg broadband but are not able to deliver.
I can't offer solutions because I ditched BT and went back to Telewest/Virgin after months of trying to get it working, all to no avail.
The "wired" service from the router seemed to function ok but the wireless was so intermittant it was unusable. Support was next to useless as it was based on talking to a techy thousands of miles away who took control of the computer remotely - many times in fact but NEVER resolving the issue of failure to connect.
Sorry if this seems a rant against BT, but it really is a substandard service. My reliable supplier of broadband is the one I left and came back to after many frustrating months.

Monty_Thrud
12-10-2007, 07:06 AM
I had the same problem with Orange "Livebox" broadband, after talking to the Orange tech service, it turned out to be my Livebox broadband modem wasn't compatable with my wireless card, so i connected it with the ethernet wire, although the one that came with the PC(onboard) didn't work either so i fitted a card(originally to network my PC's but i couldn't get XP to talk to ME), problem solved. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Maybe it's ME thats the problem...??.

flyingloon
12-10-2007, 09:47 AM
ahhh BT.
are they trying to use it wireless? could be a problem with the drivers for the wireless adaptor, or maybe using a non-BT one? or could be a problem with the hub... after much arguing with their helpdesk i finally went for getting an engineer out (just moved into new house, and bought new puter so wanted it done properly in the place it was going ot be living) well...4 hours later, after screwing up my week old alienware (thank god for respawn) trying to install BT bumpf, the guy decided the hub wasn't trasmitting and swapped it. worked a dream.
there are options to boost the wireless tramsitter strength, but you need to be connected to the hub (and the internet) to do them... which is great if you are having problems connecting. my advice would be to b1tch and whine til they send someone out.

from what i remember of doing it, if the wireless adaptor is plugged in and drivers installed, and the hub is working correctly, it's a couple of clicks in "wireless network connections" or something. btw, i didn't install the BT stuff that came with the hub, other than the drivers for the usb adaptor.

Y0RGO
12-10-2007, 09:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
Or you can spend more time with your family, playing board games, helping the ladies in the kitchen, talking to the elders, reading Dickens for the kids by the fire, inviting your friends, etc.

Wasting Xmas time in the Internet is what I call a cold cold Christmas. You'll miss it when you don't have it any more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

MEGILE
12-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Do they have broadband in your country YORGO?