PDA

View Full Version : New player-and a few questions

Starforce3
05-21-2007, 09:03 AM
1) The instruction book never really explained the different colored icons for ships on the map. I assume green is other german units, red is anything enemy, and blue is neutral?

2) I am in career mode, and I sunk a red icon merchant vessel that appeared to be british. Yet in my log when I saved it says I've sunk 7 tons of neutral shipping. 7 tons? So sinking a merchant larger than my own sub yields me the tonage of 3 automobiles? WTF?

3) Can you sink destroyers with torpedo? The only time I ever got a torpedo on target with a destroyer it went under it. My crew can't hit the breadside of a battleship, literally, I played the mission with the nelson class in the fleet and half the shots missed. best Ic an do is make it lean some 30+ degrees. (yea I know I'm supposed to sink the merchants instead but sinking a BB ought to look pretty sweet)

4) Does the magnetic detonator work in the game? (Yes I am patched) I bouched 2 torps off a merchant in career mode and I had it set to megnetic, this seems to happen alot when the torpedo is comming in at a shallow angle. I have duds turned off too..

5) If it's shallow enough can you put your sub on the bottom?

6) is there a way to make crew shifts automatic? I keep having the not enough crew problem for engines on the career mode. On a real sub crew would automaticly change between station and quarters without direct orders from the captain every time unless in battle. I need to go back anyways, unsed all but one torpedo to finaly hit and sink that lowly 7 ton merchant...maybe I'll get more crew.

If there are any tips anyone else has I'd like to hear them. I'm not very good at this (I managed to collide with that merchant lol). The game seems exciting enough.

Starforce3
05-21-2007, 09:03 AM
1) The instruction book never really explained the different colored icons for ships on the map. I assume green is other german units, red is anything enemy, and blue is neutral?

2) I am in career mode, and I sunk a red icon merchant vessel that appeared to be british. Yet in my log when I saved it says I've sunk 7 tons of neutral shipping. 7 tons? So sinking a merchant larger than my own sub yields me the tonage of 3 automobiles? WTF?

3) Can you sink destroyers with torpedo? The only time I ever got a torpedo on target with a destroyer it went under it. My crew can't hit the breadside of a battleship, literally, I played the mission with the nelson class in the fleet and half the shots missed. best Ic an do is make it lean some 30+ degrees. (yea I know I'm supposed to sink the merchants instead but sinking a BB ought to look pretty sweet)

4) Does the magnetic detonator work in the game? (Yes I am patched) I bouched 2 torps off a merchant in career mode and I had it set to megnetic, this seems to happen alot when the torpedo is comming in at a shallow angle. I have duds turned off too..

5) If it's shallow enough can you put your sub on the bottom?

6) is there a way to make crew shifts automatic? I keep having the not enough crew problem for engines on the career mode. On a real sub crew would automaticly change between station and quarters without direct orders from the captain every time unless in battle. I need to go back anyways, unsed all but one torpedo to finaly hit and sink that lowly 7 ton merchant...maybe I'll get more crew.

If there are any tips anyone else has I'd like to hear them. I'm not very good at this (I managed to collide with that merchant lol). The game seems exciting enough.

Urdas
05-21-2007, 09:37 AM
1)Blue color means friendly unit Green means neutral and Red means enemy
2)There are ships with a weight of 7 tons ( small ones like sloops shooner etc and there are 36000 t ships in the game. If the ship u sunk was bigger than your sub that has to be a bug.
3)A very important step u have to make before firing torpedoes is setting torpedo depth from the Torpedo Drive Control.Find your target in the recognition manual, look at the draft and set torpedo rununing depth to a smaller depth.
Remember to open torpedo tube before firing ( press q).For Destroyers i usually select 1 m depth for torpedo.
4)Magnetic pistol works, u have to set rununing depth 1-2 m deeper than the target's draft. When the torpedo gets beneath the hull it wil detonate.
5)Yes, u can put it to the bottom but do it as gentle as u can ( low speed ) because the impact with the sea floor can damage your sub.
6) Unfortunatelly u cannot make the crew shifts change automatically.

Stingray-65
05-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Welcome! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

FYI, if you're not met very warmly, its likely because of your chosen name. Starforce's software wasn't very popular around here.

1) Red = enemy, Green = Neutral, Blue = Friendly
2) 7 tons? It must've been really small. Maybe a tug boat? If it was shown as a red icon, it should've been enemy, not neutral. But you have to pay close attention to ships travelling in pairs or groups.
3) Yes. Try setting your torps to Impact & 2 meters depth.
4) Historically, magnetic pistols were sometimes faulty/defective until sometime after the Norweigian campaign & this is modelled into the game, I think, even if duds are turned off. Starting in late 1941 it should be safe to resume using magnetic pistols allowing you to set torpedo running depth slightly deeper than ship keel depth to inflict maximum damage.
5) Yes, but you can also damage your hull in the process.
6) Maybe in one of the super mods.

Run silent & only surface under cover of darkness. Don't get over-confident & make suicidal decisions while half-asleep. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Beware of Socko!

Starforce3
05-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll give some of these tricks a try. I just returned to port (I needed torps) and bought a flack gun, apparently the only thing I can have on the model I am using). On my way back I eneded up using the last torp on a C2 cargo and wouldn't ya know, it did what old footage of torpedo stikes suggested they all do, break in peices on the first shot lol. Too bad they all don't.

And not that I am complaining, but is it just the year I picked or do AI deck gunners on destroyers suck? I went head to head with one on the surface and had him in flames before he finaly hit me. Took him point blank to hit me with the second round that sunk me, which froze the screen with my last point blank round sending fire and debris flying off his deck. I was only practicing with the gun and probably would ahev evaded the destroyers attack had I been going faster than ahead slow and bothered to use the rudder.

Anyways, you mentioned starforce software, wtf is that?

And lastly, what is a good place to find mods? I googled and found some on filesnetwork, but they don't have an official site for it (stuff for the moon, water another might have been planes I can't remember). Is there a repository of links or something?

BTW, the tonnage bug ffixed itself at base, and so did the type of ship, both listed as enemy.

Dietrich-3.F
05-21-2007, 12:32 PM
2) Sounds like a fault with your installation. No ships should be that light. Do you have any mods installed?

3) Hittting destroyers is possible. Either set the depth to 1m lower than the keel, or set the depth to 1m (absolute) for an impact shot. However, hitting destroyers is very difficult. They move fast, turn fast, and when you miss they are usually onto you!

4) This is likely because of the angle. Try to fire at an Angle on Bow (AoB) of 90 degrees. Set the depth of the torpedoes so they don't deflect off the underside curvature too. That means (for a magnetc shot) making the depth 1 metre deeper than the ship's draft.

Stingray-65
05-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Wikipedia: Starforce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarForce)

U-Boot.RealSimulation.com (http://www.mpgtext.net/u-boot/)

SubSim.com (http://www.subsim.com/index.php)

geoffwessex
05-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Have you tried SH3 Commander? Apart from the nice touch of giving all your successful sinkings names, it lets you manage your crew in terms of promotions and medals (very important for morale and therefore efficiency).

It also has options for crew rotation etc, so you may never need to keep changing them around again. Optionally, if your Time Compression is above 32 (I think) then no moving around is required. The concept of the Captain having to tell crew members when to sleep and when to work is ludicrous anyway.

SH3 Commander highly recommended - link to the download in the sticky messages somewhere.

Realjambo
05-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Welcome Starforce3

You can download ShCommander from Here (http://www.users.on.net/%7Ejscones/software/products.html)

Starforce3
05-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. BTW, the advice on the torpedo lock has been working wonders. Seeing a destroyer ram it's bow into my torpedo, setting off 3 explosions and watching flaming lifeboats fly through the air was defenetly cool. (too bad I didn't have the event camer lined up for that one..it sunk in 4 seconds)

Anyways, Iv'e come up with a couple more questions.

1) Fire at will...why does nothing happen?
2) Is there a trick to hitting fighters with the flack gun? I can hit biplanes just fine, but anything faster seems to be pure luck. Luckily the dive bombers are equally as bad at aiming.

3)Where the heck can I find more merchants? I keep getting looser patrol grids up by sweeden often times never finding anything. AFter completing my objectives I've tried sneaking up to a couple ports but no luck (firth of fourth and one to the south, too many warships and not enough torpedos...I'd love to get right up to the docks and sink everything in port..anyone managed to do it?)

geoffwessex
05-22-2007, 12:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
1) Fire at will...why does nothing happen?
2) Is there a trick to hitting fighters with the flack gun? I can hit biplanes just fine, but anything faster seems to be pure luck. Luckily the dive bombers are equally as bad at aiming.
3)Where the heck can I find more merchants? I keep getting looser patrol grids up by sweeden often times never finding anything. AFter completing my objectives I've tried sneaking up to a couple ports but no luck (firth of fourth and one to the south, too many warships and not enough torpedos...I'd love to get right up to the docks and sink everything in port..anyone managed to do it?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Fire at Will.... that's an order to your guns crews to be ready to fire as soon as they have a target. If you go to the gun itself, it assumes that only YOU want to fire the thing, so lets you do that - it won't fire unless you do it, even though the guncrew are there. Go back to the bridge, or somewhere else, and the guncrew will happily have a go at anything in range. If you leave the 'Fire at will' selected, then the next time you get near a target (and your gun crew is in position) then it will open fire - not necessarily something you want to do if you're just on the surface trying to gain a firing position or get close to a target. So when you get the chance, turn off the 'Fire at Will'. If you're transitting a long distance on the surface, it's worth keeping 'Fire at Will' on, to save time if you are spotted by aircraft.

2. Hmmm - obviously you aim in front of the moving target, but I'd agree that it does seem potluck. Best bet is to leave your guns crews to do their jobs - and the more experienced and qualified (and bemedalled) they are the better job they'll do.

3. Sweden? Why bother? They are neutral and not much enemy traffic will go there. Or did you mean Norway? The Firth of Forth has plenty of trade, but it's very shallow and your escape options are limited. If you spot a convoy near there, best not to follow - try an attack in deeper water. South of the Firth of Forth you probably mean Hartlepool - easy targets but shallow and don't forget that you don't get any points for just getting a merchant to sit on the bottom when it's only 10ft under the keel, and if you set them on fire you don't have time to hang around to see what happens after a day. (and if you're not in the vicinity if/when it sinks then you don't get the renown).

As far as I can recall, only one U-boat attack was made on a port in the war, that being the famous Prien at Scapa Flow. Very early in the war, the British hadn't anticipated such a long range attack and the port defences were less than efficient. It didn't happen again.

Starforce3
05-22-2007, 12:28 PM
ok, I guess I'll just stay away from the ports then. Which leaves the question of where to find larger quantities merchants, or better yet bigger ones. Yes the last 2 patrols were near norway or sweeden, however weren't both neutral?

AtlantikEel
05-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Press F1 (at least in GWX this works) and select Enemies of Germany for a list of dates that various nations became belligerants of the Third Reich (example: Norway and Denmark in early April 1940).
I sank many neutrals in stock SH3 because I couldn't remember the date of the Norway invasion.
Any US ship in a British convoy I consider fair game, neutral though they may be ....