PDA

View Full Version : AIR CLASSICS: Tony Levier article on flying P-38s in ETO

Enforcer572005
03-30-2005, 11:41 PM
for the P-38 enthusiast, the may (#5-replica 262 on cover) issue of AIR CLASSICS has a good article on the P-38 with a section quoting test pilot levier's report on the problems with them in the ETO. They had just upgraded to the J model and were still running out of gas and having real problems. He describes the lack of any proper briefing on the use of the plane, that they were using excessive prop rpm combined with incorrect manifold pressure etc (a bit over my head). Also the heaters were lousy and had to be corrected as well. He says the pilots are excellent but the procedures were messed up and Lockheed straightened all that out.

They went from returning with "a cupful" of gas to 150-200 gallons. really fascinating info. reflects what Martin Caiden said in his book on the P-38. I didn't know if the steps he outlines would be usefull with the detailed engine controls in the sim.

Enforcer572005
03-30-2005, 11:41 PM
for the P-38 enthusiast, the may (#5-replica 262 on cover) issue of AIR CLASSICS has a good article on the P-38 with a section quoting test pilot levier's report on the problems with them in the ETO. They had just upgraded to the J model and were still running out of gas and having real problems. He describes the lack of any proper briefing on the use of the plane, that they were using excessive prop rpm combined with incorrect manifold pressure etc (a bit over my head). Also the heaters were lousy and had to be corrected as well. He says the pilots are excellent but the procedures were messed up and Lockheed straightened all that out.

They went from returning with "a cupful" of gas to 150-200 gallons. really fascinating info. reflects what Martin Caiden said in his book on the P-38. I didn't know if the steps he outlines would be usefull with the detailed engine controls in the sim.

han freak solo
03-31-2005, 06:51 AM
I read somewhere that Charles Lindbergh got assigned as a civilian in the PTO with P-38 squadrons and sorted out the proper engine and prop settings for maximum range.

Lucky Lindy supposedly even flew a few combat missions "off the books".

I can't remember if he was with Lockheed or not.

Blackdog5555
03-31-2005, 09:52 AM
Lindberg told em to raise the manifold pressure and lower the rpms. Pilots were told that running high MP would fry the motor. Lindberg said try it and see. and they did. no engine problems. dam near double the range. you'd think!!

PBNA-Boosher
03-31-2005, 08:12 PM
Lindbergh was also the one that showed P-38 pilots in the PTO how to extend their range by leaning their mixture to about half, he said:

"These are military engines, they are meant to be punished, so punish them."
-Charles Lindbergh

Enforcer572005
03-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Lindy told them in the pacific the exact same thing Lavier told them in the ETO. Lavier worked directly for Lockheed, I think Lingberg was sort of on contract with them. He shot down a Zeke on a mission he was observing but they classified this since he was a civilian.

F4UDash4
04-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Lindbergh scored a kill in the P-38 as well as at least one in the Corsair while flying with Marines earllier in his "tour" of Pacific bases.