PDA

View Full Version : How best to fly the Tempest?

sukebeboy
05-21-2006, 09:30 PM
When I go into combat in one, I pup prop pitch to 100% and keep throttle between 90-95% and try to fly as a vertical flighter and stay away from turn fights. Even though I do this, I find I lose my energy too quickly and often out manoeuvered by 190s. Also, I seem to damage my engine fairly often with prop pitch at 100%.

Can anyone give me some tips for better engine management, trim settings, and so on?

sukebeboy
05-21-2006, 09:30 PM
When I go into combat in one, I pup prop pitch to 100% and keep throttle between 90-95% and try to fly as a vertical flighter and stay away from turn fights. Even though I do this, I find I lose my energy too quickly and often out manoeuvered by 190s. Also, I seem to damage my engine fairly often with prop pitch at 100%.

Can anyone give me some tips for better engine management, trim settings, and so on?

Hashmark13
05-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Flying the =DarkSkies= server, I find that I can tear a Tempest apart in a Do-335 with no trouble, while a spit is a terrible menace, as it is to any german fighter.

WTE_Galway
05-21-2006, 09:44 PM
the problem is probably manual pitch .. i can never really do it without pitch on a slider

Basically when i fly manual pitch I set the throttle to my optimum setting and try and leave it alone and vary the prop pitch to keep engine revs just under redline. I have no idea if this is historically correct but it seems to work.

Be warned !!! in a dive you will need to reduce throttle as well as pitch or the engine will over rev and throw a piston or two http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sukebeboy
05-21-2006, 10:15 PM
I possess only one slider and that I use for throttle.

WTE_Wombat
05-21-2006, 10:44 PM
The Tempest seems to respond to more pitch than any other Allied plane. Perhaps they've modelled that enormous engine??

I've found that in straight and level flight she seems to like 50% pitch best whereas in Spits I rarely go below 80%.

HellToupee
05-22-2006, 03:22 AM
for combat i just go 100% pitch 110% wep and just hope to finsh fight before engine cooks, trying to run engine so it dosnt overheat will not provide enough power to manover ormaintain advantage vs someone who runs their machine flat out for long.

WOLFMondo
05-22-2006, 03:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sukebeboy:

Can anyone give me some tips for better engine management, trim settings, and so on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check your ball allot, it will decentre an awful lot over the speed range. It should only really change on engine settings but in this sim it changes through speed. You'll find yourself sideslipping allot so keep your attention in rudder trim.

Also, as the real Tempest, don't trim out of a dive, the wings will come off.

Try not to exceeed 800kph either, unlike the real Tempest it becomes pretty unstable.

Unlike the real Tempest, change the supercharger over at 8000ft.

DmdSeeker
05-22-2006, 04:11 AM
I find the "sweet spot" for the tempest to be 103% throttle; with WEP.

You can fly pretty much all day long at that (except very prolonged and hard climbing) and not overheat.

I still don't really understand the use of proppitch in the Sim and leave it alone at 100 %.

As far as I can see rudder trim does need at lot of attention; but I don't think it's changing with speed per se; but available torque; which is to say under acceleration loads. That would fit pretty well with how I understand it should work.

sukebeboy
05-22-2006, 04:23 AM
I must be doing something wrong. If I throw on WEP or go over 95% for more than a few minutes, my engine overheats every time regardless of altitude or rate of climb.

HellToupee
05-22-2006, 04:59 AM
it changes with speed, basically i stop worrying much about it in combat only when i need to catch someone or run will i correct it.

Brain32
05-22-2006, 05:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I find the "sweet spot" for the tempest to be 103% throttle; with WEP.

You can fly pretty much all day long at that (except very prolonged and hard climbing) and not overheat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How? I tried that and it overheated very soon.
Anyway, what I usually do is set the throtthle at 100%+WEP and use PP depending on situation from 60-100% with rads never open more than at position 4 and get fairly good results, I trim it nose down as a P51(6-11 clicks) for better E retention. The side slip issue is really ridiculous; in a dive I safely reached 900km/h and that is the apsolute maximum you can go and it probably depends on atmospheric conditions on the map. Reducing your PP in a dive is cruical for dive acceleration, I reduce it to 60% and have no problems staying and even overtaking FW190's in a dive.
Let's face it we actually have a 1943 Typhoon that only looks as a Tempest, razorback canopy rear view, severe overheat problems, low boost setting, I guess beta testers confused the two planes...
All in all, don't fly it by the manual and you should be fine http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

RCAF_Irish_403
05-22-2006, 05:50 AM
i keep rads open between 2-4

prop pitch between 80-95

WEP is used for climbs and "getting the heck outta Dodge"

sukebeboy
05-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the tip on diving at 60% Brain32. I got into a vertical fight with a 190 tonight and was able to gain on him in a dive and finish him off quite handily.

ucanfly
05-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Do any of you guys (well maybe one) use the gauges to fly? All this talk about prop pitch percentage is laughable. Have any of you seen an RPM gauge? We should be talking about what RPM setting vs. boost is the best not what percentage.

This is one of my pet peeves as well as missions that describe altitude in km while I am flying a plane displaying imperial units.

Edit:

Getting over my rant, I find the Tempest over revving an awful lot compared to other CSP planes. Is this a bug? It is hard to keep the RPM under control when using WEP.

sukebeboy
05-22-2006, 07:44 AM
That was the problem I was having as well. During a dogfight, I wasn't paying too much attention to the RPM gauge (plus in gunsight view, that stupid bar is blocking much of it) and I found that doing a lot of diving attacks while at 100% ptich and 100% throttle would often see me suffering engine damage.

HellToupee
05-22-2006, 07:45 AM
thats because tempest revs far higher than any other plane, it spikes a bit when u roll over to dive but it has no negative effect on the engine.

"We should be talking about what RPM setting vs. boost is the best not what percentage."

well the game uses a percentage, a percentage is more useful to the player than stating rpms and he having to go find what setting gets said rpms, same with boost easyer to say throttle and wep settings.

Brain32
05-22-2006, 07:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Do any of you guys (well maybe one) use the gauges to fly? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, I do, I monitor oil temp, rpm, gauge, boost gauge, slip indicator and ofcourse the fuel gauge http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
If you like RPM better than PP percentage, then:
you will not(at all) overheat at 3125rpm, with 3400 rpm you can get away with for some longer, at 3700 you should overheat after 2mins with completely fresh(cool) engine(although manual states 5min at max(3700 and +9) and 1hour limit for 3500 +9, both unachievable in the game).

ucanfly
05-22-2006, 07:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HellToupee:
thats because tempest revs far higher than any other plane, it spikes a bit when u roll over to dive but it has no negative effect on the engine.

"We should be talking about what RPM setting vs. boost is the best not what percentage."

well the game uses a percentage, a percentage is more useful to the player than stating rpms and he having to go find what setting gets said rpms, same with boost easier to say throttle and wep settings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not if you want to get the most out of your plane. If the optimum RPM setting is 3000 RPM then it is better to say keep it at 3000 RPM regardless of speed or throttle than it is to say - use 90 % prop at 250 mph and 75% at 400 mph or 100% prop at 180 mph or 70% RPM at 110% throttle. That's not how the big boys flew.

Brain32
05-22-2006, 08:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That's not how the big boys flew. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is how the big boys flew, try that in game...

http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/143/tempestengineoperation6fd.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Xiolablu3
05-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Dont fly the Tempest like me, thats all the advice I can give.

Flew a Spitfire for a bit just now on Warclouds and then took a Tempest up, didnt realise how much bigger it is. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Took a FW190 completely by surprise, came up behind it, adrenaline pumping as I hammered it with 20mm at 700kph and then tried to go past it. Hit the damn thing with my wing and it fell off.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

ucanfly
05-22-2006, 08:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brain32:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That's not how the big boys flew. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is how the big boys flew, try that in game...

http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/143/tempestengineoperation6fd.jpg (http://imageshack.us) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Brain. Now for some dumb questions:

1) What does "M" and "S" refer to?
2) What is the significance of those settings in parenthesis?

HellToupee
05-22-2006, 10:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ucanfly:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HellToupee:

well the game uses a percentage, a percentage is more useful to the player than stating rpms and he having to go find what setting gets said rpms, same with boost easier to say throttle and wep settings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not if you want to get the most out of your plane. If the optimum RPM setting is 3000 RPM then it is better to say keep it at 3000 RPM regardless of speed or throttle than it is to say - use 90 % prop at 250 mph and 75% at 400 mph or 100% prop at 180 mph or 70% RPM at 110% throttle. That's not how the big boys flew. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well no because its a constant speed prop % of prop pitch will result in a consistant rpm across the speed range you only need to change prop % with the throttle changes eg going to wep.

"That's not how the big boys flew."

well big boys didnt fly in a game did they, they didnt get a percentage of throttle or pitch output and not all planes performed the same.

Also M and S are the supercharger gears.

ucanfly
05-22-2006, 08:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ucanfly:

Not if you want to get the most out of your plane. If the optimum RPM setting is 3000 RPM then it is better to say keep it at 3000 RPM regardless of speed or throttle than it is to say - use 90 % prop at 250 mph and 75% at 400 mph or 100% prop at 180 mph or 70% RPM at 110% throttle. That's not how the big boys flew. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well no because its a constant speed prop % of prop pitch will result in a consistant rpm across the speed range you only need to change prop % with the throttle changes eg going to wep.

"That's not how the big boys flew."

well big boys didnt fly in a game did they, they didnt get a percentage of throttle or pitch output and not all planes performed the same.

Also M and S are the supercharger gears. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the M and S definition. But I have to disagree with your prop pitch comment. The RPMS will vary all over the place unless you you are in constant flight. In a climb they want to drop slightly and in a dive they overrev slightly - yes even though it is CSP

HellToupee
05-22-2006, 09:00 PM
In a dive it will spike for a second but it will go back to previous setting, in a climb it should not be changing ither.

The differences also are so minor its not worth constantly changing pitch.

VW-IceFire
05-22-2006, 09:32 PM
I've got a bit of experience http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Basic Tactic Type: Energy Fighter

The Tempest is a purebred energy fighter. Its got alot of power, it dives faster than most other fighters (its in the range of the P-47 and the P-51), it holds together upto about 850kph IAS, it has superb control at all speeds (from about 200kph through to about 600kph the Tempest retains near full authority), and it has maybe the third or forth most powerful arrangement of guns so its a perfect hit and run fighter.

Engine Settings:

I prefer to run with 90% pitch and radiator open during cruise. In combat I close the radiator and goto WEP. When the engine overheats I back down to 70% pitch and leave it there till I need 90% again in which case I pop it back up there and run it. This gives you alot of power and cooling control.

Basic Combat Advice:

Every pilot uses his or her own personal set of techniques and tactics but I can give some pointers specific to the plane.

1) Stay fast

2) Use the turn only when you need to get in on a bandits six and attack, always do this with alot of speed and advantage, never do this as a defensive manuever

3) When confronted with a disadvantaged position, go into a shallow 20-30 degree dive, WEP/90% pitch, and run. In my experience not many aircraft can keep up with this manuever...particularly if they aren't prepared to give chase. Only the La-7, Mustang III, and FW190D-9 should scare you in a situation like this. If you find yourself in a position of height but also being attacked from above use a spiral dive utilizing your excellent roll and elevator authority at high speed.

4) When on the attack come in from above and spiral down onto the target if he's already engaged, hit him from a side angle keeping the target in view along either side of the nose and firing just as he passes out of view between the side of the engine cowling and the prop cone.

ImpStarDuece
05-23-2006, 12:47 AM
I fly it in a similar manner to Icefire, with a few key differences.

I cruise at 80-90% prop-pitch, 80-85% throttle with radiators at 8 and WEP on. I find this is the only way to get an acceptably high cruising speed.

For combat I increase the throttle up to 90-95% and Prop-pitch up to full. Radiators usually stay at 8 or closed if I really need the speed.

Mostly I limit myself to a few quick vertical attacks and then get the heck out of the area. The rear view is bad enough to hide an entire Staffle behind, so I have this continual prickling at the back of my neck.

Essentially, I treat it as a low-altitude capable P-47: heavy airplane, heavy fire power, good gunsight view, good roll, but not exactly the most sprightly in turns or climbs.

stathem
05-23-2006, 12:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:

Mostly I limit myself to a few quick vertical attacks and then get the heck out of the area. The rear view is bad enough to hide an entire Staffle behind, so I have this continual prickling at the back of my neck.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice description; I too have that feeling.

DmdSeeker
05-23-2006, 12:52 AM
I tried diving away from Brain-32 and his squaddies last night and they caught me every time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif (they were in 190's of some kind.

Caught me flat on the deck too.

HellToupee
05-23-2006, 02:57 AM
probly 190d9s, u can get the temp going faster than the d9 but difference is small that u should not try to run without a large headstart,if no headstart just have to be agressive and make them run.

I find the tempest surprisingly nimble and capable of winning 1v1s vs all but the best of 109 pilots.

bazzaah2
05-23-2006, 06:04 AM
With WEP on, radiator on 4, prop pitch at 85% and throttle around 90% it's easy to cruise around at 590-600km/h at about 4000m with no overheat, and that could be pushed a little as well.

The way this one has been set up is a bit screwy for sure - quite why you can't get rated settings without using WEP I don't know - and the oil runs too hot so you can't get to max speed without overheating but you can get very decent cruise speeds with no overheat.

Now if we could only have the +11lb boost version and a way of getting modelled performance without having to leave WEP on all day then the Tempest would be great and a very good match for the Dora.

WOLFMondo
05-23-2006, 06:15 AM
Unfortunately if you fly like the big boys, i.e. to the manual you'll blow your engine before you leave the safety of the aerodrome, you'll be switching your supercharger over thousands of feet higher than what this sim has it modelled.

probly 190d9s, u can get the temp going faster than the d9 but difference is small that u should not try to run without a large headstart,if no headstart just have to be agressive and make them run.

I find the tempest surprisingly nimble and capable of winning 1v1s vs all but the best of 109 pilots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best to set a deck height of the Tempest at 6000ft where even the 9lbs Tempest will outrun the Dora.

p1ngu666
05-23-2006, 08:13 AM
about the cps thing

ingame the "cps" prop pitch actully means engine rev's. its NOT the blade angle.

so for example 80% could mean 2700rpm, whatever speed or height etc..

the cps unit constantly adjusts the blade angle to keep the engine at the desired RPM.

CPS units where intended for long distance planes.

Brain32
05-23-2006, 09:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Best to set a deck height of the Tempest at 6000ft where even the 9lbs Tempest will outrun the Dora. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, yes but the advantage margin is a mere 5kmh, really nothing to write home about, at all other heights Dora is faster, from 0-2000m Dora is faster 2-4km/h, from 2000-2500m Tempest is faster 2-5kmh, from 2500+ Dora is faster sometimes even by 50km/h.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I tried diving away from Brain-32 and his squaddies last night and they caught me every time (they were in 190's of some kind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well we had a sort of collective "Wulf day" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif, I flew 190A9 almost all evening, but it's pretty much the same situation, actually A9 is quite similar to Tempest in speed. You are only "safe" against 109's and 190A6,A8. Like Ice said, an early 1944 Tempest is what we have and it even has some flaws(rear view, overheat ridiculously pronounced)...

WOLFMondo
05-23-2006, 09:56 AM
In a dead run with an equal start, that 5kph could be useful!! At 5600m the Tempest is also very quick, clocking 435mph.

Fork-N-spoon
05-23-2006, 01:49 PM
I've tried the Tempest, but quickly gave it up. At this point I'm not interested in collecting both in game data and real life data on the Tempest. I really don't need to because I know that the Tempest will without a doubt fall short of its real life data.

Considering that below 18,000 feet the Tempest had few rivals for top speed yet it's not very fast in this game, I'd say that this points to the Tempest being "under modeled." Or it could be that the Tempest is modeled correctly, but that there are many aircraft in this game that have an over modeled top speed.

I'm not saying that the Tempest was an aircraft that turned well and rolled fast, but in this game it seems to lack any strenghts that the real life Tempest had. Meaning that it seems decidedly slow, it seems to lack it's historical climb rate, and it's quite fragile...

I would gladly collect data for the Tempest, but with my past Fw-190 and P-38 thread... Well let's just say that those threads degenerated rather quicklyhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

mrsiCkstar
05-23-2006, 02:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Basic Combat Advice:

Every pilot uses his or her own personal set of techniques and tactics but I can give some pointers specific to the plane.

1) Stay fast

2) Use the turn only when you need to get in on a bandits six and attack, always do this with alot of speed and advantage, never do this as a defensive manuever

3) When confronted with a disadvantaged position, go into a shallow 20-30 degree dive, WEP/90% pitch, and run. In my experience not many aircraft can keep up with this manuever...particularly if they aren't prepared to give chase. Only the La-7, Mustang III, and FW190D-9 should scare you in a situation like this. If you find yourself in a position of height but also being attacked from above use a spiral dive utilizing your excellent roll and elevator authority at high speed.

4) When on the attack come in from above and spiral down onto the target if he's already engaged, hit him from a side angle keeping the target in view along either side of the nose and firing just as he passes out of view between the side of the engine cowling and the prop cone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a lot for the advice IceFire http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But what should I do in a very low altitude, disadvantage situation?

Just now I was flying the Winds of War server, bombing and strafing the enemy ships with the Tempest's cannons and some rockets. My tactic was fairly simple, took off, flew low and fast into the target area, climbed to about 1000m, set up a dive and put a "shedload" of cannon and rockets into a ship.

After the first pass I'd immediately turn 180 back towards my base and hit the deck to about 20 - 30 meters to avoid the AAA from the ships. But at this point I usually found myself being chased by a 109 or 190.

At that altitude I couldn't dive away, I tried climbing too but it didn't do much good as they were able to stick with me. I tried to speed away but got shot up.

So what do do in a situation like this? Maybe I should just climb back up after my attack run http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

stathem
05-23-2006, 02:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrsiCkstar:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Basic Combat Advice:

1) Stay fast

4) When on the attack come in from above and spiral down onto the target if he's already engaged, hit him from a side angle keeping the target in view along either side of the nose and firing just as he passes out of view between the side of the engine cowling and the prop cone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a lot for the advice IceFire http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just now I was flying the Winds of War server, bombing and strafing the enemy ships with the Tempest's cannons and some rockets. My tactic was fairly simple, took off, flew low and fast into the target area, climbed to about 1000m, set up a dive and put a "shedload" of cannon and rockets into a ship.

After the first pass I'd immediately turn 180 back towards my base and hit the deck to about 20 - 30 meters to avoid the AAA from the ships. But at this point I usually found myself being chased by a 109 or 190.

At that altitude I couldn't dive away, I tried climbing too but it didn't do much good as they were able to stick with me. I tried to speed away but got shot up.

So what do do in a situation like this? Maybe I should just climb back up after my attack run http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plan your attack to start on the enemy side of the target. If you can get there at a few thousand feet, so much the better, or sneak in at 0 if you think you can get away with it.

Make only one pass.

Run home.

Rocket rails take a huge amount of your speed and manouverability. Only stick around if you're sure of your top cover or don't mind walking home.

stathem
05-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Actually if you know you're after killling a ship, then loading out with the 1000lbers and skipping them into the ship is more effective than the rockets. Not many German ships will survive 2 of those up the chuff.

Once the bombs have gone you have full combat capability. If you start your dive from &gt;10K' then you can be doing 500mph plus through the target area and not much will catch you.

VW-IceFire
05-23-2006, 03:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrsiCkstar:

1) Stay fast

So what do do in a situation like this? Maybe I should just climb back up after my attack run http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In that situation....hope...pray...smoke em if you've got em...try and find a good wingman. Regardless of plane, this is the worst situation to be in.

The only thing you can do...usually to prolong the chase...is to engage in a flat run and some jinking from side to side on occasion to throw off their aim. If you have enough speed then a rolling scissors may get you out of it but its unlikely. The Tempest is just too big to win at a game like that...even the much smaller Focke Wulf is going to be toast in a matter of moments.

As Mondo points out, the 6000ft deck is a good thing to adhere by as long as we have the low boost +9lb Tempest. If we can manage to get a Sabre IIB +11lb Tempest then anywhere from sea level upto maximum full throttle altitude you should be faster than anything except the Mustang Mark III right at sea level.

OldMan____
05-23-2006, 03:35 PM
I think people try to fly too much on brute force. Try to need less of your plane and more of your tatical position. When I fly tempest I do it like ina FW. Always SHALLOW dives and SHALLOW climbs, usually in very subtle turns. I usually do everything to not bleed E.

Asmot never use even 100% power. Usually I keep at 90% power and 80-90% pitch (60-70 on FW) and use max power only to run away.

This way you KEEP your speed hihgh (not force it by sheer engine power). you will find out that usually you will not be chased much since you are crossing the danger zone very quickly. When you climb shallow you make a larger displacement over the same time. And THAT is the important issue when zooming away from an enemy you just bounced. Pass by it.. make a very shallow climb in light turn. If it makes the mistake of trying to follow you it will soon became a nice target for one of your fellows.

You just need about 600 m ov altitude advatage and you can make passes on any dogfight without loosing much E. And quite usually you will get some good fire solutions even on planes TnBurning tightly.

Tempest is very good plane if used that way.

mrsiCkstar
05-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice guys http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I'm pretty bad with bombs unless I'm flying an SBD or an IL-2 or some other dive bomber. if I aimed carefully I could make one pass one kill with the rockets and cannon combo... the problem was running away from the enemy fighters. I guess I'm doing something wrong in the dive because my speed coming out of it isn't that high so the enemy fighters catch up to me pretty fast. and somehow I'm the one they manage to spot and start to chase! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

anyway I'm gonna try to experiment with the advice you guys gave me. thanks a lot again.

VW-IceFire
05-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Keep in mind that a straight line run requires plenty of piloting...namely with the trim. Poor trim can easily negate a speed advantage you may have.

Spend alot of time looking at the slip indicator.

mrsiCkstar
05-23-2006, 04:32 PM
regarding the trim... does the Tempest have elevator trim at all? I've mapped the trim to my hat switch but when I use it nothing happens! Aileron trim works fine but nothing happens with the elevator trim...

same thing with most planes I fly. the F4U for example...

bazzaah2
05-23-2006, 04:34 PM
yep it does. Suprised yours isn't working as you need to trim the Tempest loads - trim is really important.

I have mine on a slider. Fat lot of good it does me, but it's there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Brain32
05-23-2006, 05:34 PM
OldMan nailed the tacits right, that's how I do it and it proved to be quite effective, that still does not mean Tempest is correct but I always say work with what you have.
BTW guys don't look at the errors in speed and climb as both of them are correct for 9lbs SabreIIA engine, handling seems spot on also, but overheat seems a bit overdone (or underdone for all other planes in the game) you can't manage the engine by the book, also there is a fact that 9lbs was not a representing Tempest, 11lbser was. And about trim, Mondo said it should depend on engine setting and not on speed... So all in all some more or less minor adjustments should definitely be made to make it correct...

Kuna_
05-23-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm not much of an expert for Tempest but it is a premium BnZer in game.
For me it is perhaps the 1st option for late war Western front.
And not only BnZer, one can completely rely on Tempest manouverability at least when FW-190 is in question.

Awesome firepower, everything goes down in one pass. Has excellent forward view, good top speed... but (there's always one "but" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) I don't care what anyone says FW-190D has better engine in game! It doesn't overheat as much as Tempest's engine but sure it is fast like hell. That is perhaps the only Tempest weak spot, that overheat.

Like Brain, I too think that this "overheat" problem is overdone.

I can not even imagine what crazyness would be if we get boosted Tempest. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

mrsiCkstar
05-23-2006, 06:27 PM
man something weird's been going on with my joystick...

I'd mapped elevator and aileron trim on the hatswitch but when I used the elevator trim it wouldn't work... when I tried the aileron trim that worked... or so I thought!

turns out that the Tempest does not even have aileron trim, and in reality what I had thought was the aileron trim was infact the rudder trim!

I don't know how it happened, the keys were mapped correctly in my joysticks profile... somehow rudder trim had taken over the hatswitch and elevator and aileron wouldn't work at all...

I've now remapped the whole thing lol and it finally works! did a QMB mission with just me in a B-25 and practised trimming the thing... I even managed to get the Tempest flying straight and level and I didn't even have to have my hand on the stick to keep it going where I wanted it to go. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
05-23-2006, 06:51 PM
regarding the trim... does the Tempest have elevator trim at all? I've mapped the trim to my hat switch but when I use it nothing happens! Aileron trim works fine but nothing happens with the elevator trim...

same thing with most planes I fly. the F4U for example... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most fighters have elevator trim. Its the rudder and aileron trim that is less common to control. Something wrong with your setup there. The F4U and Tempest NEED trim to keep them going.

Jambock_Dolfo
05-23-2006, 06:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:

Check your ball allot, it will decentre an awful lot over the speed range. It should only really change on engine settings but in this sim it changes through speed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello all! I really know nothing about the Tempest, as a matter of fact I dont have this game installed on my pc for over a year already! But this statement caught my attention. One of my complaints about this sim was the lack of "bal sweep" between low and high speeds.
Consider you have trimmed the rudder to fly at 400km/h and 100% throttle. Ball will be in center at this speed and power setting. Now, if you pull up the nose and let the speed decrease without changing the throttle you should experience the ball sliding to the right (for western engines, rotatinc clockwise from pilot's view), an simillarly, if you dive to increase speed you should see the ball sliding to he left when above the in-trim speed.
Sorry for taking this off-topic, but if it has been addressed I consider it a great step forward on the sim engine.

-dolfo

mrsiCkstar
05-23-2006, 07:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Most fighters have elevator trim. Its the rudder and aileron trim that is less common to control. Something wrong with your setup there. The F4U and Tempest NEED trim to keep them going. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lmao, tell me about it! read my post just above yours if you wanna know what happened http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

by the way I'd like to fly with you sometime, I'm sure I could learn a few things from you. I need help with my BnZ tactics... and defensive flying http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif