PDA

View Full Version : magentic torps

cwhense
07-16-2006, 05:52 PM
okay I am playing my 4th or 5th career, made it past my first patrol, yipee for me.

got a question about aiming a torp for an under keel shot at a battleship, I was on my way back to port when I decided to check out scapa flow, and there is a battleship sitting there, so I sneak up and decide to try a magentic trigger torp since the seas and weather are calm.

I fire my first one it goes unde rthe ship and explodes, I am down to 3 left, but the ship just sits there so I set the next for impact and aim where the fuel bunker should be fire away, nice big explosion, no sink, not even listing a little, so I fire 3 and 4 aiming for the ammo bunkers, still no sink.

now about 45 mins after the first torp hit its starts to list badly, I thinking maybe even roll over, I wait till daybreak about 5 hours sway, its listing so badly now that I dont think anybody could stay on the desk without a rope to on to.

it stays taht way till dark when I finally had to surface for fresh air.

what went wrong, I thought a under the keel shot should break the ships back and sink it, but not only it didnt neigher a fuel bunker or ammor bunker shots did the deed.

I am running mostly stock with a harbor traffic mod and some skin mods.

cwhense
07-16-2006, 05:52 PM
okay I am playing my 4th or 5th career, made it past my first patrol, yipee for me.

got a question about aiming a torp for an under keel shot at a battleship, I was on my way back to port when I decided to check out scapa flow, and there is a battleship sitting there, so I sneak up and decide to try a magentic trigger torp since the seas and weather are calm.

I fire my first one it goes unde rthe ship and explodes, I am down to 3 left, but the ship just sits there so I set the next for impact and aim where the fuel bunker should be fire away, nice big explosion, no sink, not even listing a little, so I fire 3 and 4 aiming for the ammo bunkers, still no sink.

now about 45 mins after the first torp hit its starts to list badly, I thinking maybe even roll over, I wait till daybreak about 5 hours sway, its listing so badly now that I dont think anybody could stay on the desk without a rope to on to.

it stays taht way till dark when I finally had to surface for fresh air.

what went wrong, I thought a under the keel shot should break the ships back and sink it, but not only it didnt neigher a fuel bunker or ammor bunker shots did the deed.

I am running mostly stock with a harbor traffic mod and some skin mods.

Baldricks_Mate
07-16-2006, 08:32 PM
I encountered a similar problem just a day ago in an open waters multiplayer mission. 5 torps and it just leaned over but would not sink. I waited and waited and waited. Just had to let it go in the end.

The ship has to positively sink or blow up for credit to be given. This is a problem in shallow waters because they will not settle deep enough. Sometimes it just goes this way, you seem to do the right things and it just doesn't happen. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Do you have free cam enabled?. If so zoom over there and check the ship out. What is the state of damage on closer inspection? Is it resting the listing side on the bottom? If so, it won't roll over.

A positive kill is still possible but it may require a hit in the magazines to blow it up but thats no help if you're out of torps.

You still need to get out of there yet as well.

Good luck!

3.JG51_Molders
07-17-2006, 05:24 AM
Its very tricky indeed. I once had a T3 Tanker that took seven torpedos and still did not go down (even had a terrible list to starboard but still going at 2 kts http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif). This was also in 1943 which might explain the extra bit of hull plating it would have had.

cwhense
07-17-2006, 03:36 PM
I did have free camara that I used to check it out, and it was not resting on the bottom had about 3meters of space yet, it was listing so badly in the end when I left, I would say it 60 degree list, it should have rolled over, maybe if wasn't so close to the shore batteries I might have went to the far side and tried ramming it to push it the rest of the way over, but I wasnt about to surface with all them here just waiting to take a shot at me. Damage wise Above deck I didnt see much, although there was a small fire burning amidships.

Just have no idea, wish that game gave creit for damage done also, I really wanted that battle ship, maybe it will still be there when I come back after returning to base :-)