PDA

View Full Version : 16:9 format and multi-screen formats

ZA_Corax
06-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Do you think GR3 should support 16:9 format and multi-screen?

How many people out there has a dual capable video card? ie. one side play screen other a tactical overview...

ZA_Corax
06-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Do you think GR3 should support 16:9 format and multi-screen?

How many people out there has a dual capable video card? ie. one side play screen other a tactical overview...

RWG.Jackal
06-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Buy an XBox 360, It will support 16:9, I dont think your gonna see that in PC games for some time.

ZA_Corax
06-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Well I don't think an XBox360 is an option for me... I'm just a little tired of supporting M$.

Well I guess my question is really directed to wider screen formats: larger LCD panels with wider format and also running multi-screen LCDs (most current video cards allow you to do this)...

I've not tried this myself but what happens when you run a FPS shooter in a screen running 1920 x 1200... Does the game actually use whatever default ratio settings of the video card installed or this determined by the driver setup?

I work for a company that develops multi-screen panels. We've dabbled into the multi-screen gaming but a majority of titles currently do not adequately support wider formats. Currently we've recieved several wide format 24" panels... they will be running at native 1920 x 1200. We're planning on running a new dual core Opteron Workstation to run the tests.

We've done some tests in the past on running FPS on dual multiple LCD panels, a majority of FPS titles do not actually support it. Your reticule falls right in the middle of the screen. Its extremely annoying especially if your panels or monitors have a wide bezel. Ideally you would want almost no tiling between the two screens.

Personally I would like to see PC game developers actually take advantage of these current technologies, ie dual screens, multi-screens in general. I believe this will seperate PC gamers from all these consoles.

spm1138
06-02-2005, 12:59 PM
I'd love dual monitor support.

At the moment I use screen 2 for teamspeak, media player and messenger windows but if I could have the map up on it (for example) that would be terrific.

gaimon
06-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Generally, I would think that it mostly is an performance issue, but I did some searching and found this (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/banditsphoenixrising/preview_2878841.html).

The interesting part is:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> .. car-combat game that will support the Matrox Parhelia graphics card's triple-monitor display capabilities. In other words, Bandits can be played with three monitors lined up next to each other, as we did at ECTS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I think it would be harder for GRIN to implement now, when UBI is calling the shots, it sure shows a willingness to try and roll with the new technology, doesn't it?

I don't have that kind of graphics card but it shure would be something special!

ZA_Corax
06-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Downside with the Matrox Parhelia card and its multi-screen gaming management utiltity is hardware specific. This software only works for Matrox cards... I would like to see more games that actually support multi-screens (ATI and nVIDIA)... Specially that dual screens are readily accessible to most PC gamers.

Performance has always been an issue because most titles are not optimized to run at a higher resolution.

At work I use a dual 18" DVI LCDs... one screen for running Illustrator and other Photoshop... or what ever combination... I use a PNY Quadro card...

dbucklaew
06-15-2007, 10:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RWG.Jackal:
Buy an XBox 360, It will support 16:9, I dont think your gonna see that in PC games for some time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nvidia 6600 GT supports HD 16x9 out puts but I don't know if it handles the dual veiw on one display

A_M_S_DNJ..
06-16-2007, 08:35 AM
uhh, this threads a little old, GR3 has since turned into GRAW, and now GRAW2.

Though WS support is a problem in GRAW2, which hopefully to those who have one, can be resolved before the full game release or atleast a patch on or near release.