PDA

View Full Version : FULL REAL Critical Mass...

jayhall0315
11-10-2008, 02:14 AM
Hello IL2 Fans - Recently I have been putting most of my time into either flying on full real servers or getting my own setup. Problem is, every dang time I go onto someone else's full real server.... it is boring as all hell.

There are usually only about 10 guys or less on most of the servers and bases that are authentically apart (read.. sleep inducing boring flying that makes FSX feel good) and you never see the enemy. Occasionally, Spits versus 109s can be fun but only on certain maps and only when there are 25 guys or more flying (which is usually only Friday nights). The rest of the time....meh.

So my question is; Who in the hell has a FUN full real server with close bases and realistic action and planesets but without the one hour transit times to enemy territory and long monotany of never seeing anyone ?

What is the best action oriented full real server out there ?

Jay

jayhall0315
11-10-2008, 02:14 AM
Hello IL2 Fans - Recently I have been putting most of my time into either flying on full real servers or getting my own setup. Problem is, every dang time I go onto someone else's full real server.... it is boring as all hell.

There are usually only about 10 guys or less on most of the servers and bases that are authentically apart (read.. sleep inducing boring flying that makes FSX feel good) and you never see the enemy. Occasionally, Spits versus 109s can be fun but only on certain maps and only when there are 25 guys or more flying (which is usually only Friday nights). The rest of the time....meh.

So my question is; Who in the hell has a FUN full real server with close bases and realistic action and planesets but without the one hour transit times to enemy territory and long monotany of never seeing anyone ?

Jay

rnzoli
11-10-2008, 03:54 AM
nice! your post can work out like throwing a torch into a fuel dump http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Feathered_IV
11-10-2008, 04:14 AM
Exaggeration. One hour flights? Never seeing anyone? Tosh!

Divine-Wind
11-10-2008, 07:48 AM
The only way you could possibly take one hour to cross over enemy lines is if you took a Fiesler Storch and tooled around up to 50,000 meters before embarking on your epic journey to save the world from Willy Wonka.

na85
11-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Go fly wonder woman, then. I'm sure you'll enjoy dealing with La-7s, Ki84c's, I-185's, and all the other oh-so-realistic clown wagons.

halfcool
11-10-2008, 01:10 PM
HAHAHA wow. I came into this thread randomly and expected the same conserved discussion as all the other threads.

I was surprised to get such a concentration of attitude towards this dude.

And what the hell does "tosh" mean? lol

"clown wagons" made me laugh too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

lesterhawksby
11-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Halfcool - I believe tosh is a form of rubbish dredged from a sewer and offered for resale? It seems a bit harsh in this context, anyway.

ytareh
11-10-2008, 01:24 PM
OP are you flying 1024x768 resolution ....anything more can make it hard to see dots especially over 1280x1024...

crucislancer
11-10-2008, 02:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
Go fly wonder woman, then. I'm sure you'll enjoy dealing with La-7s, Ki84c's, I-185's, and all the other oh-so-realistic clown wagons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Certainly one of the least helpful posts of the thread. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Folks, instead of giving the OP a hard time, why don't you give the guy some constructive tips then give him a hard time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Divine-Wind
11-10-2008, 02:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crucislancer:
Folks, instead of giving the OP a hard time, why don't you give the guy some constructive tips then give him a hard time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Okay.

Hop on the server's Vent/TeamSpeak server, see if anybody is on. Usually you can find the address in the server description (I'm assuming you're using Hyperlobby), if not you can ask in chat. Or look up the server on the web if there's a web address in the description.

Then you can take up your ridiculously slow plane, tool around to 50,000 meters, and commence your hour-long, epic journey to save the world from Willy Wonka. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

M_Gunz
11-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Fly COOPs. That's where the fun is.

badatit
11-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Read the brief?
Fly to areas of interest?
IE. Target areas, Enemy bases, etc.
(writing down the map coordinates to said areas can be helpful).

A quick.ntrk of a new map/mission can also be helpful.

If these dont help, maybe your flying too high.
Make the once around @50' and see what what you can see.

If all else fails...~"Where are you guys...I'm new here...GRID PLEASE?"
Good luck

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

badatit
11-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Or better yet...go into an arcade server and simply toggle "your" icons off.
Then you'll have it all.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/Badatit/toggleicons.jpg

StellarRat
11-10-2008, 08:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhall0315:

Jay </div></BLOCKQUOTE>50 Pilots on Warclouds Sunday morning. Spits vs. 109 about the same. Weekdays pretty much suck though.

I_KG100_Prien
11-10-2008, 10:21 PM
So there I was... up in the virtual European skies. My plane was cruising nicely. Throttles and pitch set to cruise. Trims adjusted for hands off flight. I would need to be able to concentrate on identifying landmarks to aid in my navigation to target. I needed to keep a sharp eye out- spot the enemy before they spot me.

We're talking serious business here. The chips were on the plate as this was a FULL SWITCH map. My palms were sweaty at the anticipation of entering combat without icons... padlock.. externals... I couldn't turn my pit off for those hard deflection shots. The stakes were high.

It had been minutes since the mission started. Five turned into ten... ten turned into eleven... Soon a whole hour had gone by and still no target. Still no sign of the aces from the masters list coming to blast me from the sky. Would I find one here? Would a plane painted like a hotrod come blazing out of the sun to blast my cockpit full of high explosive cannon rounds??

Two hours. Nothing- I began to get worried. The shoe was going to have to drop soon. I could taste it.. I took one more look at my map, and looked out of my window to see where I was at.. The land had gone from having forests, towns, rivers, roads and railroads to- a vast green pasture as far as the eye could see... Had I been killed in a relentless BnZ attack? Was this heaven? I was tempted to make a bad joke in reference to an old T.V show to snap myself out of the daze..

Then I made a horrific realization..

I was in a QMB Mission, and I'd forgotten to set the number of planes in the enemy flight from 0 to 1... and the target... a bridge.

I had crossed into the twilight zone...

Divine-Wind
11-10-2008, 10:59 PM
I lol'd

Erkki_M
11-10-2008, 11:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhall0315:

Jay </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In real war 99.9% of the time was waiting... The exciting thing is, who can stay concentrated and not get surprised. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"Unfortunately" the best ones are the least action oriented. The most action oriented, to me at least, seem to be the WarClouds and Zekeves vs Wildcats(Zekes coming in in a continous lines, Hellcats toasting them near the Allied carriers). The two best FR servers imho are the FinskaViken1 and by.sturmovik. On by.sturmovik you may fly for more than an hour and yet see only tracers there and there, though there are 50 people on the server and the distance from friendly to the enemy airfield is only 50km. FinskaViken on the other hand has rarely players at all, but a lot of them when it has: the only public server where you will see formations of more than 10 bombers at almost every visit.

Its sad that the FR servers have lost the crowd they used to have even just a year or two back. Less people also means more and more joining ardace servers, thus making the situation even worse.

You might want to try playing between 1900-2200 GMT(evening in Europe), when there are the most players.

na85
11-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Apparently good times were to be had at Historia. It's a shame I never got to fly there.

jayhall0315
11-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Very funny story Prien. I ditto the LOL'd

I appreciate the advice from you and all the guys. I dont know how well it will work, but soon I will have my full real server going but with nice custom maps, close bases and plenty of opportunities for good dogfighting. Hopefully it will turn into a fun server for those who want to fly realistically but dont want to search for the enemy for 40 min.

....and thanks for mentioning the Master's List. We now have a council of five guys (all veterans of IL2) who all must vote together before any new member is admitted to the list. And I will try to keep it as up to date as possible.

Jay

iroseland
11-11-2008, 02:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by badatit:
Or better yet...go into an arcade server and simply toggle "your" icons off.
Then you'll have it all.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the problem with the arcade servers isnt the icons.

its the

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/images/HFSA011.JPG

BSS_AIJO

Divine-Wind
11-11-2008, 03:02 PM
I lol'd again

badatit
11-11-2008, 03:37 PM
True...