PDA

View Full Version : What is right for me

ElCobras
03-12-2005, 09:59 PM
My friends have always told me that IL2 was an excellent online WW2 flight simulator, and now that I have the cash, I'd like to give it a shot.

I have played Aces High online for years now and have been impressed with the massive online multiplayer servers they offer, but the graphics have always left alot to be desired.

Anyway, I noticed there are a few different variations of IL2 out there right now, and I was wondering if you could tell me what would be right for me, from your own experiences. I really dont have too much of a prefference between theatres in the war, I really am just interested in the abilities to dogfight and also organize bombing raids. Other than that, I'd like to play whichever version of the game is currently the most popular, as I plan to play it online.

Also, I know the specs for this game are posted, but I would like some veterans of this game to let me know if my specs would get me by.

P4 2.6GHTz HT
1GB PC2700 RAM
GeForce FX5600
Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy

I ran Aces High with those specs fine, but I realize this game is alot more advanced in its 3D modeling and so on.

Finally, if anyone could give me a prefference on a good joystick I would really appreciate it. I cant stand Logitech Wingmans (go through about 4 a year) and MS Sidewinders were nice, but my last one broke and I cant find them anywhere.

Anyways, that's the end of a million questions. If you could help me out here I would really appreciate it

This game seems really amazing, but at the same time, being a guy used to Aces High, it seems very broad and extensive. Is it really hard for a n00b to pick up?

Thanks

ElCobras

Taylortony
03-13-2005, 12:31 AM
your PC seems ok I run a 2 gig 1 meg of ram with a gforce FX5900xt so the only weak point you have is the card..

Game wise and for online playing you want to get IL2 Forgotten battles and the Aces add on CD
OR the IL2 Forgotton Battles Gold pack that has both of the above in it
then you want the Pacific Fighters add on Cds and a couple of patches, that will see you right.... you can play with less versions but 99% of the online games run them, The Saitek x45 is a brill stick in my opinion, u might get a end of line one cheap look on ebay for the MS one...

welcome aboard http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

S 8
03-13-2005, 12:40 AM
P4 2.26Ghz
1 gig ram
Ti 4600
Audigy 2

Run in 1024*768 32,without aa and ansio of course http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif,and in excellent mode.I get fps between 35-50 average depend whats on the screen,so I guess you´ll be fine.

I used to play Aces High pretty much before Il2 and the first thing that striked me was how durable the planes was.You could take some hits without the wing or anything else popped off instantly.I got the porslin feeling about AH and rubber about Il2,although that feeling has changed during these years.

I didn´t find it too hard to get flying this sim.Actually,it´s the same flying princip from AH,but with a much better FM feeling.(from a desktop pilot point of view)

I use Saitek Evo.Nothing fancy but it works.

Tully__
03-13-2005, 12:56 AM
P4 2.0GHz
768MB of PC2100
GeForce4 Ti4600
Creative Vibra! 128

I run merged install fine at 1024x768x32, no AA or aniso.

Merged is:

IL2 Forgotten Battles
Ace Expansion Pack
Pacific Fighters
3.01m patch
3.04m patch

If you see IL2 Forgotten Battles Gold Pack, it has both Forgotten Battles & Ace Expansion Pack in the one box.

ClnlSandersLite
03-13-2005, 10:51 AM
You can easilly handle a 16vs16 dogfight on even a pretty crapy system.

The worst I've seen it run on under those conditions is:
1ghz/133mhz
384megs ram 133 speed
older nvidia 128 meg vid card running 3x
Windows 2000 (not ME or XP 2000)

You can't run the graphics all that pretty but it'll handle 1024X768X32 with no AS/AA and all settings medium. And this is the merged install.

It could even handle a light DCG campaign.

As to flavors of il2:
IL2: original, not really a point in buying.
IL2 Forgotten Battles: GREATLY improved version of il2.
Ace Expansion pack: Adds the west front to Forgotten battles.
IL2 FB AEP bundle: Pretty self descriptive. I'd reccomend you get that instead of any of the above.
Pacific Fighters: Pacific theater. Merges with FB+AEP. Nice with the complete install.

My recomendation would be to get the bundle first. Then get PF. PF on it's own isn't really all that great IMO. (I'm not going to argue it here, just my opinion) Either that or get the bundle+PF at the same time.

Skycat_2
03-13-2005, 06:11 PM
I agree with ClnlSandersLite: Get "Gold Pack" for sure and consider augmenting it with "Pacific Fighters."

If you get Gold Pack (or "Forgotten Battles" and "Ace Expansion Pack" individually) you'll need to upgrade to version 2.04 after installing all three discs. If you get Pacific Fighters as well, skip the 2.01 and 2.04 patches and simply install PF as 'merged' over the other discs and then upgrade to v3.04m.

"Forgotten Battles" has some really nice Eastern Front maps and planes; out of the box you get the P-47 Thunderbolt as flyable but all other flyables are Luftwaffe, Soviet, or "Lend-Lease" American and British planes. The He-111, Ju-87 'Stuka' and Soviet TB-3 are the flyable bombers. The Me-262 is flyable as well.

"Ace Expansion Pack" adds a Normandy map, a smaller Arnennes map (summer and winter versions) and a small Pacific islands online map. You also get two flyable versions of the P-51D plus flyable P-38J/L, P-51B/C, P-63C, YP-80, Spitfire Mk.V, Bf-110, He-162 'Salamander,' Me-163 'Komet' ... lots of new flyable planes and frankly I can't remember them all. Some flyable Japanese fighters (A6M2, A6M5, and Ki84) are included to prelude "Pacific Fighters." The upgrade patches (or Pacific Fighters) gives you flyable versions of the Spitfire IXc/e and Soviet I-185 plus AI-only versions of the B-25. The only drawback of AEP is that while it has so many new USAAF, RAF and Luftwaffe planes plus the new maps and V-1 rockets, there are no campaigns included for the Western Front.

"Pacific Fighters" installed as stand-alone gives you many of the planes and objects that were previously released in FB and AEP. If PF is installed as 'merged' it adds as flyable to the FB/AEP collection the A-20, B-25, Wilcat, Hellcat, Corsair, Avenger, Beaufighter, Seafire, Val, Rufe floatplane ... again, more planes than I can remember offhand. New versions of B-17s and the B-24 and B-29 are included as AI-only. The carriers pitch and roll and are very highly detailed. Allied landing craft are also included, so you can finally create a D-Day scenario for those Normandy maps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ElCobras
03-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm going to head up to EB games tomorrow and I'll pickup the IL2 FB Gold Pack. For only $20 I think it's definately worth it.

EB doesnt offer the Pacific expansion from what I see, so I guess I'll have to find that somewhere else online.

Also, alot of you mentioned that I should install that Pacific Fighters expansion as "merged". Does that mean that after I install the complete FB Gold Pack I should install the Pacific Fighters expanion, rather than getting patches or anything? After I get Pacific Fighters installed is it ok to upgrade patches if they came out with any for PF?

I am just a little confused with the whole merge process, so if you can let me know how exactly to install this, I'd appreciate it. From how I understand it, I take I should install it like

FB GOLD PACK + Pacific Fighters + Patches for PF = Good....But please let me know either way so I dont screw everything up

Thank you again for your responses. Providing EB has the game, I'll be on tomorrow flying.

Also, could someone please go into detail on the multiplayer modes? Is 16 players the max for multiplayer online? Are these servers hosted by the game company, or by people with high speed connections?

Thanks

Skycat_2
03-13-2005, 07:55 PM
I am just a little confused with the whole merge process, so if you can let me know how exactly to install this, I'd appreciate it. From how I understand it, I take I should install it like: FB GOLD PACK + Pacific Fighters + Patches for PF = Good

You got the sequence correct!

AEP was an expansion for Forgotten Battles, so those two naturally go together. AEP includes all of the earlier FB's patches, so you do not have to upgrade FB at all before installing AEP. Simply install AEP after FB and you'll be at version 2.0 of the game.

There were two upgrade patches released for AEP before Pacific Fighters came out. If you do not have PF but you'd like FB/AEP to be as upgraded as possible (without PF) then install upgrade patches 2.01 and 2.04.

Pacific Fighters can be installed as either a stand-alone sim independant of FB/AEP ~or~ as an expansion to FB/AEP. Actually, you can install it twice if you wish because 'stand-alone' goes to its own directory folder while 'merged' upgrades FB/AEP.

When you insert the PF CD-ROM for the first time, you'll be given the install options in the menu. For the 'merged' version you'll have to have FB/AEP already installed, of course. After you install, either option will be numbered v3.0.

If you are installing Pacific Fighters as 'merged' over FB/AEP, you do not have to install AEP upgrade patches 2.01 and 2.04 first. 'Merged' PF automatically includes the AEP upgrade patch planes and desert online map. You won't get this extra material in Stand-alone PF however.

After you install PF, there are some upgrade patches for it. The 'Merged' version's patches all end with the letter 'm.' Thus, you want the big 3.03m patch and then the 3.04m patch if you are upgrading the FB+AEP+PF version. By 'big patch' I mean cumulative patch that includes the earlier PF patches.

As for multiplayer, I believe it is 16 vs. 16 in cooperative mode in FB and FB/AEP. One of PF's features was that it brought the max number of MP up, but I can't remember what the limit is. I'm going to say it was doubled to 32 vs. 32 but I could be way off ...

UbiSoft has a free server that you can connect to directly through the sim. There are other free servers like Hyperlobby are very popular as well. I think that anybody with a good computer can be a host if they download the game's supporting server patches.

Bearcat99
03-13-2005, 10:27 PM
One more thing..... actually two. Hit the Sturmovik Essentials link in my sig. Lots of good stuff in there. Also when you install the sim (Consider it one 5 CD sim with two patches at the moment) dont do it on an RW drive. If you have a ROM drive use that. If you only have RW drives then go for it but it has been known to cause problems due to the copy protection on some machines. Forget about the UBI servers. Go to Hyperlobby in the Essentials thread and download the client. You got the sequence correct. Forgotten Battles (FB1.0), Aces Expansion (FB2.0), Pacific Fighters (FB3.0), patch 3.03m then 3.04m.

The sim is great in any incarnation in my opinion but it really shines as the full 5 CD product. After you install it and check it out you might also want to download the UQMG from Uberdemon's site..... also found in the Sturmovik Essentials link in my sig. It is a quick mission builder with full mission builder power. You will fully understand what I mean when you go to use either the QMB or the FMB for the first time. A great tool. Welcome aboard and all the best. If you like sims you will love this one... it should run decently in excellent settings on your rig.

The merged install gives you acess to the entire sim, where as if you install just PF you have acess to just the Pacific stuff.. or if you go just FB you only have acess to the WTO stuff and some of that.... the best way to go in this sim is the full monty.... that way you will also be compatible with 95% of the online servers on Hyperlobby and you will also be able to install the soon to be released patch. Think Ponies,Jugs,Spits,Schmitts,Zekes,Cats,Tonys,Oscars ,Hawks,Wulfs,110s,25s,A20s,Stukkas,Hurris,Lightnin gs,Yaks,Laggs,Las,Sturmos,Buffalos,202s,Gladiators ,Migs,Cobras,Dauntesses,Heinkels,262s, and a few more I left out... in multiple variations..... with each one having its own unique handling charactersistics all flyable under flight models and damage models unlike anything you have ever seen. Plus some other planes as AI only for the moment and a few more surprises coming down the pike (Tempest, Mosquito.... some Italian aircraft). The AI in here while not perfect... is the best I have ever seen as far as making the offline experience not as boring as it has been in other sioms that I have known. That is enemy and friendly AI. The sim you always wanted is here.... I know that is what the merged sim is for me. (Actually h@ll I was pleased with FB by itself..... all this other stuff is like.... gravy..)

As far as the multiplayer options... there are several dedicated dogfight servers on Hyperlobby whose settings vary. I have been in servers with as high as 57 flyers and as few as two..... I think the limit is 128 actually but most PCs cant handle the load.... the graphics and FMs,DMs and AI of this sim are incredible and use a lot of resources. I suggest you get the sim and check it out before you try to dive into online stuff. The sim is very challenging and unlike anything you are used to. You will have to relearn a lot of what you thought you knew from Aces High and the AI should be challenging enough in the beginning. It isnt hard per se but just.... challenging... and a heck of a lot of fun. Bring any questions here to these forums. There are a great bunch of guys here for the most part who would be more than willing to lend a hand with helping you get things set up correctly. For technical issues go to the Community Help forum. One of ther most important resources for this sim is Airwarfare.com... which also... (http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif natch) cxan be found in the Sturmovik Essentials link........ in my sig.

ElCobras
03-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Thank you very much for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I hit all the local electronics/game stores in my valley today and none of them had the GOLD PACK http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif . I'm going to order it online tonight probably from amazon.com or maybe ebgames.com. Both asking 29.99 for it, which is more than reasonable in my mind.

I dont have a working joystick yet, so I'll have to pick one up tomorrow at my workplace (work at Circuit City) I'm used to the Logitech Wingman series, but have heard good things about the Saitek Evo sticks---either way I'll find something to get my in the air.

Thanks again for all your help. At first installing the Gold Pack + PF and the patches seemed a bit confusing but you guys really broke it down very well for me.

Thanks again!

ElCobras