PDA

View Full Version : Vector Expansion for Track IR?

Ace_Eloff
05-06-2005, 11:40 AM
I've heard that even though PF doesn't have vector support, the vector expansion makes Track IR much better... I was wondering how does the vector expansion make Track IR better? Anyone have some experience with Track IR without the vector, and then Track IR with vector, who can tell me what the major differences are? Thanks.

Ace_Eloff
05-06-2005, 11:40 AM
I've heard that even though PF doesn't have vector support, the vector expansion makes Track IR much better... I was wondering how does the vector expansion make Track IR better? Anyone have some experience with Track IR without the vector, and then Track IR with vector, who can tell me what the major differences are? Thanks.

lkemling
05-06-2005, 11:58 AM
One thing I've heard is that the new reflector gizmo for the hat brim which has three reflectors as opposed to one is superior to the old way of sticking one of the dots on microphones,hat's or the middle of your forehead.

stansdds
05-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Yep, three points of reference instead of one, I think that is what makes it smoother in games that don't support 6 DOF.

Ace_Eloff
05-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Smoother? Also i've heard that the vector expansion makes the track IR more tolerant of moving around in your chair, anyone able to confirm this?

jessi1
05-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Tracker vector helps in that when you move your head or body side to side the tracker doesnt move on your screen wich helps a lot for control, when you move your head to the side(left or right)it wont move around on the screen wich can be a pain sometimes and makes you a little sick feeling. Salute

Ace_Eloff
05-06-2005, 12:26 PM
"when you move your head to the side(left or right)it wont move around on the screen wich can be a pain sometimes and makes you a little sick feeling."

What do you mean it won't move when I move my head left or right?? You mean it won't move if I tilt my head left or right? Also why would it make "you a little sick feeling" thanks.

lkemling
05-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Yep' have'nt ordered mine yet but will shortly,well worth the $45
Makes the TIR3 complete!

RxMan
05-06-2005, 01:41 PM
By not recognizing the 4 new degrees of motion,
IL2 becomes more specific to your movements.
It only reacts when you turn your head left-right
and up-down. Not when the head moves without
turning, it reacts much more as you expect it to,
and not the unexpected jumps when you move a little
in your chair.

Ace_Eloff
05-06-2005, 01:47 PM
excellent, that's what I was hopin for, well now just have to find some way to get it. Thx all.

LuckyBoy1
05-06-2005, 04:14 PM
I have the Track IR with Vector. I can simply and easily answer this question for you. The Vector thingy senses 3 points instead of just one and as a result, it gets a better 3D idea of where and exactly how your head is moving. As a result, it can track better giving smoother performance. It becomes almost flawless if you do the T_O_A_D mod to the Vector.

Butonga
05-06-2005, 04:35 PM
After stupidly plugging in the wrong power cord for a USB hub, then plugging in my Track IR3 pro into that hub, turning my computer on, overheating/powering the hub and burning up my track IR3 pro, I was now in the market for another Track IR3pro.

I ordered this one with the vector expansion, not really sure if that .50 cent looking paper clip thing was worth $44, nice to know it actually does something more then zoom in zoom out with head tilt...something I am use to doing with a button anyway. Thanks for explaining how it helps.

Also of note, Natural Point recieved, processed and shipped my Track IR3pro with vector expansion all in the same day. I should have it by tuesday. Vast improvement from my first experience ordering from them where they took money out of my account and one month later, still didn't ship the unit.

Ace_Eloff
05-06-2005, 05:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">T_O_A_D mod to the Vector. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

???

trilogysc
05-06-2005, 05:40 PM
For clarities sake and those that wonder the same thing:
The SINGLE dot on the VECTORLESS TrackIR means that the TrackIR interprets ANY movement as a ROTATION of your head.
IE: If I ROTATE my head left, my VIEW moves left. BUT if I MOVE my head left LATERALLY (eyes/head still parallel with my monitor,with NO rotation) the TrackIR STILL thinks I am ROTATING my head, and thus my view STILL rotates to the left.
WITH the VECTOR, since it has 3 tracking dots, when I ROTATE my head left, my VIEW ROTATES left as well, but when I move my head LATERALLY ( a little "body english" trying to get the shot ) it does NOT think I am ROTATING my head, and my view stays steadily where the ROTATION of my head dictates it. So, I can thrash around in my seat a bit without the TrackIR rotating my view. I don't have to sit rock solid,,, AND I can lesson my "dead zone" to give me a more realistic look around.
Of course I have the VECTOR and I use it all of the time in sims that have support for it. In fact, I don't fly sims that DON'T have support for the TrackIR anymore, nor will I ever.

T_O_A_D
05-06-2005, 06:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ace_Eloff:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">T_O_A_D mod to the Vector. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Link is in my sig.

Ace_Eloff
05-06-2005, 07:23 PM
What good does this ball technique do? Correct me if i'm wrong, but this should do no more than keep the tracking surface in the TrackIRs field of view... i've managed to accomplish this quite easily by putting 3 dots in a row on the bridge of my cap, so why would I want to stick a ball on the front of the cap covered in reflective tape instead?

BPO6_PANP
05-06-2005, 07:46 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gifThen just keep using your three dots http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ace_Eloff
05-06-2005, 08:02 PM
well, I was just wondering if the reflective ball gives some other kind of advantage, i.e. smoother movement, or more sensitive pickup of movements...

LuckyBoy1
05-06-2005, 08:46 PM
What it does for me at least is make it so I can move my head more without it losing orientation and needing to be recentered.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/Luckyboy1/blendy1.jpg

Ace_Eloff
05-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Hmmm, a worthwhile modification then? I'll have to consider it.

TROOPER117
05-07-2005, 05:17 AM
Ace! Without re-hashing all of the above good points and help, I was using the Trackir pro3 and thought it was the bees knees!
Having bought MS flight sim 2004 I upgraded to trackir 4 so I could use 6dof, which was great!
However, when I next went on to use PF I noticed an immediate improvement. Looking around the cockpit was smoother and more responsive than before, without the jerkiness that sometimes happened when I had the previous version.
If you can afford it I advise you to upgrade mate. For me, it was well worth the extra expense. (Just had to cut back on the old shopping for a while! lol).

regards....Dave S.

DRAGON_2_GO
05-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Still prefer the old driver without 6DOF.
Maybe jerky http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif, but I find it easier to re-center it, after moving in my chair. Also, like this, I can, for example, change the map without havbing to touch my mouse...
Depends on the user I think.