PDA

View Full Version : Back

WhiteKnight77
08-15-2006, 06:25 PM
2 weeks ago today, I lost my DSL modem when the LAN side went out. Even though the modem synched up with the DSL line, I had no connection. After troubleshooting the problem, I knew that the modem was toast. After calling tech support not once, but 4 times over 3 hours, including getting disconnected somehow, it was determined by tech support that indeed the modem was dead. I was then offered a new modem for free with a new 12 month contract and asked if I wanted regular shipping or 2 day. I opted for 2 day.

Come Friday the 4th, the UPS guy came and went with no delivery. I contacted customer service and was told to give it a few more days and that the order would be expedited. I waited until Wednesday the 9th and still had no delivery of said modem. I contacted priority customer service and was told the modem was shipped the day before and to wait till the end of the week to see if it would come. On Friday, the UPS delivery time passed with no delivery again. By this time I was completely fed up and not a happy customer at this time so I called BellSouth about new service. I decided to call Earthlink while on the phone with BellSouth and after being on hold for quite some time, I accepted BellSouth's appointment for an technician to come out to install my new service.

After getting transferred here and there from Earthlink, I got the corperate headquarter's number here in Atlanta. After talking with the lady from Senior Escalations Team and explaining my problem, she agreed with the months free service and crediting me with the cost of overnight shipping. She told me that it would be Wednesday before I could get the new modem even with overnight shipping. I even asked her why I should wait for a new modem an extra day when I could have new service with a different provider installed a day earlier and she just went on about processing the order taking a day with pickup the following day.

The more I thought about it the madder I got when I could order stuff from Newegg.com and pay normal shipping and get it in 4 days and having to wait 11 business days for an order from Earthlink was a tough pill to swallow. Later that afternoon, I called Earthlink back and canceled my order and service especially when I could be getting faster service installed a day earlier.

Well, I now have a 6.0 mBps down/512k up connection with a static IP for just $7 more than what I was paying Earthlink along with a new modem. The funny thing is, UPS brought the Earthlink modem today. I sent it back without accepting it.

Here is a screen of a speedtest of my new connection.

http://www.whiteknight77.net/images/test01.jpg

One of the by-products of not having a connection is I completely redid my website, finished some pages, added others and uploaded it all in about 4 hours today. I also did up my bands I have seen live list that is now posted in the proper thread.

The moral of my story: If you are not pleased with something, make a change, you may end up better off.

WhiteKnight77
08-15-2006, 06:25 PM
2 weeks ago today, I lost my DSL modem when the LAN side went out. Even though the modem synched up with the DSL line, I had no connection. After troubleshooting the problem, I knew that the modem was toast. After calling tech support not once, but 4 times over 3 hours, including getting disconnected somehow, it was determined by tech support that indeed the modem was dead. I was then offered a new modem for free with a new 12 month contract and asked if I wanted regular shipping or 2 day. I opted for 2 day.

Come Friday the 4th, the UPS guy came and went with no delivery. I contacted customer service and was told to give it a few more days and that the order would be expedited. I waited until Wednesday the 9th and still had no delivery of said modem. I contacted priority customer service and was told the modem was shipped the day before and to wait till the end of the week to see if it would come. On Friday, the UPS delivery time passed with no delivery again. By this time I was completely fed up and not a happy customer at this time so I called BellSouth about new service. I decided to call Earthlink while on the phone with BellSouth and after being on hold for quite some time, I accepted BellSouth's appointment for an technician to come out to install my new service.

After getting transferred here and there from Earthlink, I got the corperate headquarter's number here in Atlanta. After talking with the lady from Senior Escalations Team and explaining my problem, she agreed with the months free service and crediting me with the cost of overnight shipping. She told me that it would be Wednesday before I could get the new modem even with overnight shipping. I even asked her why I should wait for a new modem an extra day when I could have new service with a different provider installed a day earlier and she just went on about processing the order taking a day with pickup the following day.

The more I thought about it the madder I got when I could order stuff from Newegg.com and pay normal shipping and get it in 4 days and having to wait 11 business days for an order from Earthlink was a tough pill to swallow. Later that afternoon, I called Earthlink back and canceled my order and service especially when I could be getting faster service installed a day earlier.

Well, I now have a 6.0 mBps down/512k up connection with a static IP for just $7 more than what I was paying Earthlink along with a new modem. The funny thing is, UPS brought the Earthlink modem today. I sent it back without accepting it.

Here is a screen of a speedtest of my new connection.

http://www.whiteknight77.net/images/test01.jpg

One of the by-products of not having a connection is I completely redid my website, finished some pages, added others and uploaded it all in about 4 hours today. I also did up my bands I have seen live list that is now posted in the proper thread.

The moral of my story: If you are not pleased with something, make a change, you may end up better off.

scworld
08-15-2006, 06:35 PM
My internet connection pwns j00. Got twice as fast, free telephone-calls included.

sam_fisher091
08-15-2006, 06:36 PM
LOL Story of anyone's life...... something goes wrong, call tech support, call again, call AGAIN, then get an answer, talk for five mins, get put on hold for an hour, ask for what you want, they say someone will be over in a day, three days later you call back, say WTF, and they say calm down, give it a week, then it still doesn't come and when you have given up all hope......

There it comes.

Plutonium_Kenny
08-15-2006, 06:39 PM
We had a similar problem. My dad ended up threatening to cancel and the manager got on the phone, got us all fixed, and will call US up when there is a problem. You just gotta be a dickhead sometimes.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

But whatever works for you man, as I can see you're pretty well off without them.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Transcender
08-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Wow! Thats excellent WK! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

I won't even share mine... I'm embarrassed now.... LMAO http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

thejackel21
08-15-2006, 06:49 PM
wow Wk, glad to have you back. Sorry to had to face the normal bureaucratic techincally bull..... But hey at least you got the last laugh in the end http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

@Plutonium_kenny you would be surprised how when being a dickhead at time, people can go a bit too far http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

WhiteKnight77
08-15-2006, 06:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sam_fisher091:
LOL Story of anyone's life...... something goes wrong, call tech support, call again, call AGAIN, then get an answer, talk for five mins, get put on hold for an hour, ask for what you want, they say someone will be over in a day, three days later you call back, say WTF, and they say calm down, give it a week, then it still doesn't come and when you have given up all hope......

There it comes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is really sad is that I knew what the problem was even before I called tech support (and got level one support out of India). I am somewhat advanced (I build my own PCs after all) and the first step with a problem is to troubleshoot yourself). The first guy in India tried to tell me it was just a cable causing the no connection problem. Not on his life was the cable the problem.

Plutonium_Kenny
08-15-2006, 06:52 PM
@ Jackal: My, how true you are....it just depends upon the person and their personality. Like my dad is usually pretty kind, but when they get him riled, he goes off....no niceties for them. But it's when the problem's solved and you're still doing it that it becomes a problem.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

cooldude6681
08-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Wow. That's quite a story.

IonG.O.D.
08-15-2006, 07:53 PM
The way you make anyone call you back is say, "Hi, call me back at (number), if you haven't called by 2o'clock, I'll try back. Thanks!"

thejackel21
08-15-2006, 07:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IonG.O.D.:
The way you make anyone call you back is say, "Hi, call me back at (number), if you haven't called by 2o'clock, I'll try back. Thanks!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its actually written in tech support, not to do that. They will only email you BACK..... they arent very bright... many tech support have damanged people's computer. For example: a friend of mine had a problem with his laptop, call the tech support the person told him to type a command in dos. Not very bright the guy, ended up telling him TO FORMAT HIS COMPUTER. which had NOTHING to do with the PROBLEM!