PDA

View Full Version : Scale Runner

MtnDrew91
11-02-2011, 02:04 AM
Who else here thinks that scale runner is the best minigame on Rocksmith?

Kroger
11-02-2011, 07:37 AM
It is great. A suggestion is adding in the different shapes for other root notes as you go up and down the neck. That would be really cool. Teaching/practicing the ability to move up and down the neck on a particular scale would be awesome!

praecantrix
11-03-2011, 07:47 PM
i agree on both points. i always do a quick game of scale runner when i start to warm up the fingers a bit, but leaving first position would be cool

SeattleSauve
11-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Well, it's better than the baseball bending game. I still haven't figured out how to hit a ball on that one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

praecantrix
11-03-2011, 08:15 PM
yeah i hit the ball once and it was a home run! but i think i've gotten him to swing like 3 other times! haha

AlexLifeson
11-03-2011, 08:40 PM
@ praecantrix

Scale runner is not the same as the Big Swing Baseball you are referring to
Scale runner is for practicing scales
The Big Swing Baseball is for practicing bends (up and down)

SeattleSauve
11-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by AlexLifeson:
@ praecantrix

Scale runner is not the same as the Big Swing Baseball you are referring to
Scale runner is for practicing scales
The Big Swing Baseball is for practicing bends (up and down)

I think they get that. My point is that scale runner is at least better than big swing baseball - at least for me.

Coda05
11-04-2011, 01:09 AM
they should have made a duck-scale mini game too....

praecantrix
11-04-2011, 04:38 AM
yeah i was just agreeing with seattle with how hard that baseball game is. i love scale runner

oldgeezer99
11-04-2011, 06:14 AM
hi - I'm at 1.2M points, 3rd/4th venue.. haven't unlocked scale runner yet... what do you have to get to, pointwise/venue/whatever, to unlock that one?

so far, the harmonic one is the toughest i think.. i like the tetris type one the best, and the first duck one is good for building familiarity w/fret positions so that's good.

praecantrix
11-04-2011, 09:40 AM
i never paid any attention to how things unlocked. lol. i just played a whole bunch of songs and then gold medaled all the techniques and now i have all the games open to me.

DrwhoGalefrie
11-04-2011, 11:05 AM
just tried it last night

pretty fun, and pretty fast, as I know my Am Blues Scale pretty well!

Planetos401
11-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Have you done the scale technique yet, oldgeezer? Pretty sure thats how you unlock the game.
For example... scale technique -> scale game

oldgeezer99
11-04-2011, 12:16 PM
hi - yes I've done most of the techniques, incl. that one, to bronze level, will try again to level up to unlock it. that's a great feature about this game, would be good to see new games in DLC in the future too, esp. for notes, chords, tablature reading

TonyFarkas
11-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Ok is this how Scale runner works?

you play the selected scale 1 time, then it selects random notes from that scale for you to play after that?

I have been playing blues scale in B and been getting around 500k in points before I run out of time.

Is there an end to the level or does it just keep sending random notes?

If you get so many notes correct in a row does your time to play get extended? LOL I'm too busy watching the notes to see what else is happening on the screen.

EmilSanto
11-23-2011, 04:47 PM
How about some dlc, for learning scales alone
the minor and majors ect

Amaist
11-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by TonyFarkas:
Ok is this how Scale runner works?

you play the selected scale 1 time, then it selects random notes from that scale for you to play after that?

I have been playing blues scale in B and been getting around 500k in points before I run out of time.

Is there an end to the level or does it just keep sending random notes?

If you get so many notes correct in a row does your time to play get extended? LOL I'm too busy watching the notes to see what else is happening on the screen.

Yes, it goes up the scale (starts on the lowest note) and then it goes up/down randomly. But always in the sequence of the scale. I haven't seen it jump over strings.

Just keep playing. After some time you'll be amazed at the scores you got.

TonyFarkas
11-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks Amaist, be cool if they could add a bluesy backtrack to play the blues scales over.

JamesKeir
11-23-2011, 08:12 PM
To unlock scale runner you have to qualify for 15 songs... i hit it at about 1.4M points

--James

crispyfunk
11-23-2011, 08:43 PM
This mini game is so very very important i hope it sees regular up dates or even through the dlc store i would love to see the rest of the positions for what you have in the game now ,i know this is for the novice ,but after a while all these novice guitar gods your company is creating will need to learn the other positions one day so please at least think about adding more to this MOST AWESOME mini game

This game is life changing,i have been playing for over 16 years and it has helped me more than any other learning tool EVER. TY GUYS your game is a revolution

TonyFarkas
11-25-2011, 12:58 AM
I have been playing scale runner about 20 minutes a day as part of my warm up. I can now make it past 2,000,000 where I was struggling to break 500k a few days ago. I wish there was a scales version of super ducks to give it a change of pace

ferocho
11-25-2011, 06:57 AM
I still don't understand this mini game. After I run the scale once, i dont know what of the numbers that appear on the screen to hit. I wonder if I am reading the screen wrong...

TonyFarkas
12-05-2011, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by ferocho:
I still don't understand this mini game. After I run the scale once, i dont know what of the numbers that appear on the screen to hit. I wonder if I am reading the screen wrong...

after you run the scale one time, just follow along with the long bar coming down the screen, just looks at the color and the number then jump from bar to bar.

getting better now Im up to 3.4 mil on blues scale in B. I use scale runner as my warm up before I go play songs. about 10 ~ 15 minutes per day.

triguy98
12-05-2011, 06:48 AM

Your time does not get extended at all. It is a race against the clock. The faster and more accurate you play, the more points you will get. You get bonuses for correct notes strings. Every time you mess up, your speed resets, limiting the points you will get. You should be able to easily get into the million(s) of points after practicing. It does run you through the normal scale progression forward and then reverse, and then switches to random progression.

JaneyCastro
12-05-2011, 10:36 PM
I would be happy if they just added a jam mode for the songs that included applicable scales in graphic form on the side.

cthauber
12-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by ferocho:

The numbers and colors are telling you what to play.

So, if the next 'bar' is green, with the number 5 on it, hold the 5th fret of the green (2nd) string and pluck it.
If it then shows a purple bar with a 3 on it, you want to hold the 3rd fret of the purple (1st/thinnest) string and pluck it. and so on and so forth.

Number is what fret to hold, color is what string to play.

And remember, you want to play the 'next' block to jump to it, not the block you are currently on.

Swerveaux
12-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Also, as you get faster, it becomes very, very difficult to actually see what note is coming next on the screen as things are moving quickly and there's usually at least three different rails moving all at once. When you get to that point, just remember that the scale will never skip a note, it'll either continue on with the scale or reverse direction and head the other way. Know that there are only two possible options for the next note at any given point, and that should make it easier to figure out what note to play next if the visuals get a little confusing, like they do for me.

tommyo17
12-06-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm doing ok on the rest of the mini games but I've also struggled with this one. I'm fine going up and back down but then it lost me. I''d be like wtf is going on. Wish they had reply..so you could go back and review it (games/songs) (like Madden football) After reading some of the tips I'll give it another go round and see how it goes this time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

xboxs-alpha187
12-06-2011, 05:12 PM
i enjoy scal runner iv acualy ran a perfect run on a few scals but i find sometime i cant do them without messing up even ones that iv dun pefect a few times thats what awsome about them add in dawn of the corded and you well on your way to lurning how to play

TonyFarkas
12-07-2011, 02:28 AM
something is up with scoring for scale runner.

I just got 4.2 mil on the blues scale in b
but when I go to the leader board and look. it shows 7,333,260 OMGWTFBBQ

I have an xbox360s. let me see if i can get a screen cap

edit ok sorry for the quality of the capture, I got a new capture system coming.

just got 4.2mil my best score to date
http://a.yfrog.com/img862/2738/oiigr.jpg

but the leader board show 7.3 mil is my best
http://a.yfrog.com/img615/8781/2atrb.jpg

cthauber
12-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by TonyFarkas:
something is up with scoring for scale runner.

I just got 4.2 mil on the blues scale in b
but when I go to the leader board and look. it shows 7,333,260 OMGWTFBBQ

I have an xbox360s. let me see if i can get a screen cap

edit ok sorry for the quality of the capture, I got a new capture system coming.

just got 4.2mil my best score to date

(images removed for space)

but the leader board show 7.3 mil is my best

My guess (haven't actually checked the leader board for Scale Runner), but it looks like that is your total combined score for all scales. Not just the individual one.

It actually makes sense that the leaderboard for scale runner would be a combined total...otherwise, there would be many additional leaderboards, and could get confusing.

Swerveaux
12-07-2011, 08:43 AM
cthauber is exactly right. Your leaderboard score is all your scores for the 11 types of scales added together.

Weird issue that at least exists with the 360 version - if you play a scale and don't beat your high score, when it shows the leaderboard your total will use the score you just set, not your highest. I don't think it sticks, it just shows incorrectly that time, but it's unnerving watching yourself drop a ton of spots down the leaderboard after a particularly bad run.

TonyFarkas
12-09-2011, 04:52 AM
a few more days of doing 10 ~ 15 minutes of scales as warm up. getting 3.5 ~ 4 mil most of the time, best score on blues b 5.5 mil with 132 in a row

TonyFarkas
12-10-2011, 09:38 PM
a few more days later, I can get 4.5 ~ 5 mil on most runs. now my best is 6.4 mil.

My pinky is staring to feel a lot stronger with better control of it. What I have noticed, is that I miss most of the time because of picking the wrong string.

TonyFarkas
12-19-2011, 04:56 AM
getting better, I can get 6 ~ 7 mil most runs in blue scale in b. new best 8.3 mil. still trying to get past 200 in a row. best is 168 in a row.

Anyone else getting better at scales too?

Hab_Fan
12-19-2011, 11:19 PM
UBI is doing more damage than good with this mini game, they should have included all the positions of the scales. It would have been better to only have 2 or 3 scales with all positions then add other FULL scales for DLC.

TonyFarkas
12-20-2011, 03:49 AM
I wouldn't say doing more damage than good. The basic scales are a great starting point. a few weeks ago I had no idea what a scale even was. Now have most of the patterns memorized. They can always add more scales in that run up and down the neck.

I use the scales as a warm up tool that teaches me something at same time.

edit
wooohoooo just did a run on the blue scale didnt miss any and hit 208 in a row. 8.7 mil

TonyFarkas
12-22-2011, 05:23 PM
update: a few more days have past,
Blues scale in B 9.6 mil 212 in a row

on the next run, I didn't miss any with 220 in a row, 10.4 mil

now I need to start working on Major Scale so far the best is 3.2 mil

xboxs-alpha187
12-25-2011, 10:31 PM
i have a 360 and i play scal runner all the time i like the game alote and think its one of the best ways to get faster fingers and improve dex in your fingers my hiest score is 13 mill and last i looked i was in 11th in the leader bords for xbox i do wonder thow how pepole get 160 mill totale score thows are some fast fingers

alinazc
12-26-2011, 08:59 AM
I love Scale Runner too, but I wish all games were more configurable, so I could set the speed and time of the game.

andyman1970
12-26-2011, 07:49 PM
How did you unlock the scale runner game?

pbailey68
12-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Hab_Fan:
UBI is doing more damage than good with this mini game, they should have included all the positions of the scales. It would have been better to only have 2 or 3 scales with all positions then add other FULL scales for DLC.

i don't get scale runner either? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif the point of working on scales is learning the patterns at a steady tempo and slowly increasing them over time.

a much better version of this game would be a scale with a set tempo that you could beat allowing for only 3 mistakes (3 strikes?) and on the next level the tempo and or scale pattern would change (like it does when you get further along). a nice addition would be powerups and extra lives for note combos and all that.

there are many ways to learn and practice scales but for me without a steady pulse this mini game isn't one of them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

cthauber
12-27-2011, 09:22 PM
There is no reason to have any 'lives'.
Let the user set a staring tempo, and give notes in the chosen scale. Increase the randomness as you progress, but not the speed. Go until you manually stop, and be able to manually adjust the tempo (d-pad up or down etc).

Just don't score it in this 'mode'

I had suggested this in the developer feedback/suggestions about 3 days after the game came out...hopefully will be in the 'patch'

TonyFarkas
12-28-2011, 05:07 PM
I like how scale runner works. it runs your 1 time through the scale then starts you moving around the notes in that are in the scale. After learning the blues scale, I put on some blues black tracking music and played out some blues solo/riff just by picking out notes from scale.

I just hope they add some full neck scales too so you can work up and down the frets.

fatherrock
12-28-2011, 08:38 PM
The trick with scale runner is to do more
than 1 play in a practice session.

Say you are working on the major scale,
pick a scale at the top of the fret board.
Do that a couple of times.

Then same scale but around the 5-6 fret area
next set in the 12 fret area

get used to using that scale anywhere
on the fret board.

kevberg
12-28-2011, 09:49 PM
homerun on scale runner. Love the Game ...this has been sharpening my skills and im loving this.

Xx El Kino xX
12-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by fatherrock:
The trick with scale runner is to do more
than 1 play in a practice session.

Say you are working on the major scale,
pick a scale at the top of the fret board.
Do that a couple of times.

Then same scale but around the 5-6 fret area
next set in the 12 fret area

get used to using that scale anywhere
on the fret board. That is GREAT advice!! I'll be working on scale runner tomorrow and do that

poi890poi
12-21-2012, 03:58 AM
This mini game is really helpful. I wish they include more positions. And implement some thing to emphasize the root notes, probably sequences like 12131415... I don't know. I am totally new to guitar and music theory. There must be better practicing than up and down right?

TroiaPriamos
12-21-2012, 05:02 AM
I hate the game mainly because I can never get notes to register. I usually have to play most notes 2 or 3 times, or either run through it very very slowly.

JanEgilS
12-21-2012, 08:18 AM
I also have issues with getting notes to register in Scale Runner. Very frustrating at times.
And some scales seem to be worse than others...

Brett27295
12-21-2012, 01:16 PM
I think Scale Runner is a great mini-game I'm just disappointed since the last game update it no longer keeps your high scores. Part of the fun for me was trying to beat my high scores in each scale.

vezmus
12-22-2012, 05:21 AM
scale runner should use the noteway like regular songs