PDA

View Full Version : BOB= DirectX 9.0c video cards are junk?

codeseven7
01-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Is the upcoming BOB going to require a DirectX 10 capable video card? Hope not. I was reading a thread at the new SOH FSX Forum about FSX requiring not only Vista but a DirectX 10 compliant video card. Though DirectX 10 will offer more as far as graphics capability, it will mean those looking forward to playing FSX will not only have to buy a new OS (slick marketing MS) but also will have to ditch their new video cards for a DirectX 10 capable card (when they come out) or (maybe) be able to play FSX with their current hardware but with poor graphics/gameplay.

With the impending arrival of Vista/DirectX 10, new titles will want to utilize the new capabilities being offered, but require gamers to buy not only a new OS but also a new video card to do so. Nothing new in the world of video games I suppose, it's the double wammy for my new PC that I dont look forward to. Glad I didn't buy that second BFG 7800 GTX!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=...&posted=1#post121834 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=121834&posted=1#post121834)

codeseven7
01-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Is the upcoming BOB going to require a DirectX 10 capable video card? Hope not. I was reading a thread at the new SOH FSX Forum about FSX requiring not only Vista but a DirectX 10 compliant video card. Though DirectX 10 will offer more as far as graphics capability, it will mean those looking forward to playing FSX will not only have to buy a new OS (slick marketing MS) but also will have to ditch their new video cards for a DirectX 10 capable card (when they come out) or (maybe) be able to play FSX with their current hardware but with poor graphics/gameplay.

With the impending arrival of Vista/DirectX 10, new titles will want to utilize the new capabilities being offered, but require gamers to buy not only a new OS but also a new video card to do so. Nothing new in the world of video games I suppose, it's the double wammy for my new PC that I dont look forward to. Glad I didn't buy that second BFG 7800 GTX!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=...&posted=1#post121834 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=121834&posted=1#post121834)

-HH-Quazi
01-10-2006, 01:53 PM
I don't know m8s. I just watched both videos at Gamespot talking about DX10 and Vista and I must say the possibilities for game developers like Oleg are awesome. Something about the way DX 10 doesn't have to communicate over the bus to the cpu to pull up more hardware shaders during gameplay will allow the developers to include more objects, characters, better lighting effects, etc in their games to make some games more immersive I would think.

Windows Vista will be backwards compatable with DX 9. Now, I said the OS will be backwards compatiable. DX10 will not be. Vista is going to house DX9 as a seperate entity so DX9 games will still play fine. But the guy said going from a DX9 game to a DX10 we will notice a trmendous difference in fluid gameplay.

Personally, I'd hate it for all our m8s here that have just bought into a massive upgrade if BoB is released maximized for DX10, meaning having video cards that are DX10 compliant. But this is what game developers do. They create for the future of technoligical advance. Just look at this series. Created\released in 2001. And it was 2005 before anyone was able to run this sim all out. And if BoB is being developed with Vista and DX10 in mind, I believe this next Oleg release will be the same.

Like I said, I'd hate for our community members that have just spent bookoo $$$ thinking they will be alright to start out BoB on, and it not be that way. But then again, with the support we get from Oleg, if he does build with DX10 in mind, the future looks super bright.

RocketDog
01-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Surely BoB is so far into development that it's very unlikey to be DX10?

Cheers,

RocketDog.

codeseven7
01-10-2006, 03:33 PM
You know, it could be that when Vista and Dx10 are here and Dx10 games (ie FSX) are common place, after seeing the huge difference in the old XP/Dx9 games as compared to the new Vista/Dx10 games, we might be wishing Oleg had developed Bob using Dx10.

VW-IceFire
01-10-2006, 08:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codeseven7:
You know, it could be that when Vista and Dx10 are here and Dx10 games (ie FSX) are common place, after seeing the huge difference in the old XP/Dx9 games as compared to the new Vista/Dx10 games, we might be wishing Oleg had developed Bob using Dx10. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As of yet there is not a single video card with DX10 capability. So its pretty hard to develop for hardware that doesn't exist yet...I don't think Microsoft has even made the API official yet have they? Are game developers working with DX10 software yet?

I can see DX10 being a huge boon in the future...but maybe in a year or two...if its as difficult and separate to deal with as has been indicated. Just a guess.

codeseven7
01-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Though it's true Dx10 capable video cards do not exist yet, FSX is reported to be optimised for use with Vista (it's to be released at the same time as Vista) and Vista will be shipped with Dx10.

stansdds
01-11-2006, 04:01 AM
Ultimately it will be a forced operating system upgrade. In just a few years, if you want to play new sims or games, you will have to have Vista and DX10. It's the MicroSoft way. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

OldMan____
01-11-2006, 06:06 AM
Don ´t get over exited on DX10 advantages. Most of them are only cleaning up interfaces and less rigid type safety to help developers do thigs faster.
Very few things are NEW capabilities. Th e only noticiable one is the geometry shaders, that on my mind are only a way to stop the evolution of hardware phisics, sicne whit geometry being generated IN the VGA, how can tha PPU handle it? Surely possible but MUCH harder.

Jumoschwanz
01-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Hey, keep an eye on linux and other unix operating systems and software. I am sure they are only going to come upn with more and more tricks. Right now there is more than one playing this sim on some Unix variant, and that is where I am heading.

Jumoschwanz

zoinks_
01-11-2006, 08:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
Hey, keep an eye on linux and other unix operating systems and software. I am sure they are only going to come upn with more and more tricks. Right now there is more than one playing this sim on some Unix variant, and that is where I am heading.

Jumoschwanz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'll be looking for alternatives, too. with vista shipping with drm and all the bad write ups as to what's in store is anyone's guess. i do not like this trend companies are taking especially after sony's root kit bs. i'm in no hurry to see vista and will wait as long as i can before making any more upgrade moves. starforce, vista, sony, microsoft,...were's my commodore 64!

Rebel_Yell_21
01-11-2006, 09:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RocketDog:
Surely BoB is so far into development that it's very unlikey to be DX10?

Cheers,

RocketDog. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No reason to believe that, at all, considering that 4.02 was supposed to be "testing" flight modelling for BoB. Since BoB is supposed to be a totally new engine, there shouldn't have been any way to do testing in the old engine.

Chivas
01-11-2006, 11:36 AM
If you can play FB well with your system now, this is a great reason not to upgrade until BOB comes out. I know I was comtemptating buying a new video card but hope I can keep the upgrade demons at bay for awhile. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

reverendkrv1972
01-11-2006, 03:03 PM
I read that FS-X will play better with Vista,not that it will only run with Vista?

regarding Dx10 cards,I'm planning on building a new rig for BoB anyway,so I guess i'll just wait untill its release & go from there,gives me more time to save the cash http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Regards,

Rev

VR_Storm
01-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Personally I think that games developers in general are playing a very dangerous game by constantly forcing PC owners to upgrade their kit.
Don't know if any of you have looked in at your local game stores lately, but the racks with PC games on are getting narrower whilst the XBox/PS2 ones seem to be expanding.
I think that us PC gamers are almost becoming a niche market.

Chuck_Older
01-11-2006, 03:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VR_Storm:
Personally I think that games developers in general are playing a very dangerous game by constantly forcing PC owners to upgrade their kit.
Don't know if any of you have looked in at your local game stores lately, but the racks with PC games on are getting narrower whilst the XBox/PS2 ones seem to be expanding.
I think that us PC gamers are almost becoming a niche market. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Console games are becoming more and more like PC games everyday, though. Consoles get you online, consoles get you web content...hey, just like a PC http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

toutin
01-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Games exploiting dx9c completely aren't out yet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif and I'd be completely satisfied if BoB used only "common" things like normalmaps & HDR (not a foggy bloom) on metal panels with sun highlights etc etc
Oh and if they used shaders to have grass waving in the wind, a better water, even better clouds... everything that is current with dx9

lbhskier37
01-11-2006, 05:10 PM
you guys are really looking to into DX 10 demos. If you remember DX8 demos from years back you probably thought it was going to be some super revolution. Well demos are demos, you can't play DX demos. In the end each step is never such a huge revolution, more just an evolution.

jarink
01-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Some points to consider:

1. End of life for Windows XP Home (not Pro) is this December 31st. MS will most likely continue security updates, but no further enhancements or improvements will be planned. (MS has extended these "drop dead" dates in the past.)
Edit: I checked today and see that MS has extended this date. Now it reads "Mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this product is released."
Windows XP Home Product Lifecycle (US) (http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=15&y=16&p1=3221)

2. What game designer would willingly exclude 95% of the already slim PC gaming market by not including compatability for DX9 or even DX8? (How many current games still support DX7? A lot.)

3. Flight Simulator is a Microsoft product, so it is more likely than probably any other flight sim to require DX10.

3a. IF MS makes FSX DX10-only, it would therefore only run on Vista. MS makes Vista as well, which would mean XP customers would need to upgrade. How is this not in their interests (other than possibly reducing sales of FSX)?