PDA

View Full Version : Computer crashes? any ideas?

mrwabbie
03-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Hi all,
I just got Silent Hunter 3. It looks pretty good on the box but I'm having some trouble. Every time I try to do the Trainning (Shooting the 10 planes down) it crashes just after loading up. The game lasts about 2 seconds. On other area's I might get to play for 3 mins before it crashes. Why is this? I'v installed the 1.1 patch aswell as totaly reformated my PC so its all clean. No viruses. It cant bee software coz i formated and only installed all the new drivers and it still happens in the same places. And when I say crash that means it "Re-starts my whole pc" Iv tried to look up the problem on the net but it seems to be uncommon if at all. The game runs on my slower lap top with out crashing....but low fps which is to be expected. This dosn't happen on any other game..........any idea??? Any help would be greatful. I'm really stressed for ideas.

I have a
p4 530 sock 775(3 ghz)
ASUS P5DG1 Mobo
Nvidia 6600 GT 128 MB
2x 512 Corsair ram 400 MHZ
80 Gig Sata Seagate HD
Lite-on DVD burner/player
Lite-on cd/bunriner
530 MAX WATT - EATX
Windows XP SP2

mrwabbie
03-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Hi all,
I just got Silent Hunter 3. It looks pretty good on the box but I'm having some trouble. Every time I try to do the Trainning (Shooting the 10 planes down) it crashes just after loading up. The game lasts about 2 seconds. On other area's I might get to play for 3 mins before it crashes. Why is this? I'v installed the 1.1 patch aswell as totaly reformated my PC so its all clean. No viruses. It cant bee software coz i formated and only installed all the new drivers and it still happens in the same places. And when I say crash that means it "Re-starts my whole pc" Iv tried to look up the problem on the net but it seems to be uncommon if at all. The game runs on my slower lap top with out crashing....but low fps which is to be expected. This dosn't happen on any other game..........any idea??? Any help would be greatful. I'm really stressed for ideas.

I have a
p4 530 sock 775(3 ghz)
ASUS P5DG1 Mobo
Nvidia 6600 GT 128 MB
80 Gig Sata Seagate HD
Lite-on cd/bunriner
530 MAX WATT - EATX
Windows XP SP2

RedTerex
03-19-2005, 02:07 AM
Er......I was 3 hours into a career then BUMP ! my PC crashed as well, and I mean locked out so that I had to pull the plug to re-boot.

I have V1.1 so until its sorted out with a possible V1.2 or higher, I will just have hope for the best.

There are always glitches with any new game I find !

lysergic
03-19-2005, 02:38 AM
Well, i have to deal with some crash to desktop problems too... But most of time it's after 1 hour playing... Just have to save often ^^

TASKFORCE1x1
03-19-2005, 05:48 AM
Its not doing it to me. I did have problems when I had ship's music running and it would create sound glitches when I go time acceleration. After turning off music completely all was ok. Maybe that could of been a problem?

viltsu21
03-19-2005, 09:58 AM
I havn't played even one patrol in my dynamic gampaign as it crashes to desktop everytime before i get to the patrol area. I got through the academy without problems and it doesn't crash at all.

Comp specs.
Athlon 64 3200+
DFI Lanparty nf4sli-dr
Gainward GeForce 6600Gt 128Mb w/ VIVO (Nevest Omega drivers)
1Gb DDR RAM
SH3 installed on a non-RAID SATA drive.
And a WIN XP Pro

P.S 1.1 patch fixed that white-thing on he surface thing from my binoculars but not the UZO but thatr Ctrl+P works. thank you devteam for a great game. it roks.

Dominicrigg
03-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Wierd guys, must be a driver problem somewhere, or hardware.

I have :

Athlon Thunderbird 1.4
ATI rad 9600xt
512 meg
EP 8KHA

and no probs at all, no crashes or sound or graphics glitches. Been running for 2 days now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hope you all get it sorted!

sindelia
03-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Well i havent been able to play more then 10min at the time.. havnt even gotten passed the first training mission.. computer reboots.. comes back with a dialog box saying XP has been restored after a serious crash involving a device driver.. i play lots of games with no problem and after waiting months for this it feels like those were wasted money..

Specs
Intel P4 3500
2gb ddr2
Nvidia 6800 Ultra pci express
raptor 10000rpm disk

Stelteck
03-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Hi.

I have a Athlon 64 with GT6800 and some serious crash. (I have to shut down and restart my computer to restore it).

windows say then that a device cause the problem. One time, it says it ways my GT6800.

But the thing strange is that i do not have crash during mission play.

I have crash..... in the campaign menu !! loading crew or new weapon is a serious danger for my system.

There is a problem in these menu..

Stelteck.

bweiss
03-19-2005, 02:03 PM
I didn't read all through this so forgive me if someone already suggested this. But I run this fine on a PIII 733Mhz Coppermine. I do use a Nvidia 5900Ultra, but only 512 RAM. And it runs fairly smooth. Not like minimum specs ofcourse, but I also had crash and freeze ups at first. I just backed down the graphics load and it worked. No more freezes or crashes. Some jitters around lots of graphics, like in Lorient, but not at sea. Runs smooth, doesn't crash. Turn off the high end graphics and back down the pixel fill thingy. I put mine on zero for port, 33 at sea. I set my card on performance selections, but do use FSAA 2X and triliner filtering. Hope something in that helps you.

Formant
03-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Hi,

I'm also crashing a lot, about 10 times today since I got the game this morning http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I've tried shutting off all the background processes, memtested 100% ok, defragged etc. It seems pretty random where it crashes but you can bet its a long time since your last patrol save :/

I dont think the game is stressing my system at all, its fairly decent and plays a lot of other much more graphic intensive game with no problem.

I also applied the 1.1 patch.

I've stopped playing now as its getting **** annoying I'll wait for response from ubi with any fixes/updates.

nvrsummer2
03-19-2005, 03:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sindelia:
Well i havent been able to play more then 10min at the time.. havnt even gotten passed the first training mission.. computer reboots.. comes back with a dialog box saying XP has been restored after a serious crash involving a device driver.. i play lots of games with no problem and after waiting months for this it feels like those were wasted money..

Specs
Intel P4 3500
2gb ddr2
Nvidia 6800 Ultra pci express
raptor 10000rpm disk <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me thinks it might be starforce related. I get the occasional crash to desktop doing random things like moving around the ship. Just freezes and dies. No proof but just a hunch!!

Blackjack174
03-19-2005, 03:40 PM
all CTD i had where right after issuing an order or pushing a button , so i exclude my hardware here and point towards sh3 , also the "save-often" work around is tricky because i lost all campaign saves right after i asked the soundsman "estimate distance to tgt" , VERY annoying , academy worked ok , but i cant complete any campaign, will try a couple more times , if with no success i will stop waste my time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

mrwabbie
03-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Yeah sounds like I'm not the only 1.........Iv tried all different drives. Reformated. I've have had the XP driver caused this error aswell after it crashes and reboots. It has to be the game due to in some missions its always at the same spot or time in game. I would say SH3 was rushed out or something. I'v tried the slowing down the audio acceleration in DX but to no avail. Trying to work out if I should take it back while I still can or keep it and hope ubi get to work and fix this major issue. Computer games quality really has gone down the lugger.

denico_
03-19-2005, 05:39 PM
I have not had a single crash, and i have played
the game over 2 days now. No problems but the
Nvidia bug, solved with the patch.

Setup

Asus p5ad2 prem.
-Onboard sound
I P4 3.6Ghz
1 GB Ram
Asus Extreme 6800 GT

All with standard drivers ( i.e. no beta drivers...)

Win XP Pro SP2

The game runs great on this.
No problems with copy protection either.

-

I hope everybody else get their problems sorted out.

Blackjack174
03-19-2005, 06:21 PM
i think i finally (after having a crash in the campaign again!) can pinpoint down one of the sources that crashes me to desktop:
when no sonar contact is there but you order soundsman to estimnate distance to contact the normal respons would be that no target is selected , but in campaign it seems to crash , happened 2 times now, the 2 other crashs where with other orders i cant remember, would be best if we had STICKY "post BUG here" posting, so i think my information is not going to be seen by any dev. ever http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Cobrajs12
03-19-2005, 08:49 PM
The same thing happens to me. I'll beplaying and all of a sudden boom it crashes. I'm getting really frustrated about it because I'll be attacking my target and I'm all hyped up and itdies. Havn't i waited long enough already to play this great game. now this. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

P.S Sure would be nice to know if the devs are even hearing our please. Feed back please!!!

Actung_Spitfire
03-20-2005, 12:52 AM
Yep I'm having same problems.
Can't finish just one campaign mission.
Every time I issue order to navigator to set a search pattern on the map display I get hard lock crash, which requires a computer shut down.
I am running P4 2.8 MHZ machine with 1500 meg of DDR 400mhz Ram, Radeon 9600XT AGP graphics and SB Live card.
I thought it may have been SB Live causing problem so dis engaged it and reloaded on board sound card which is a Realtek AC 97 Audio.
I have taken away hardware acceleration from both the graphics card and the sound cards, but to no avail!
Must be the game I'm guessing as alot of you experiencing the same probs.
I will just wait for a new patch to address these issues. Sigh.

nvrsummer2
03-20-2005, 02:16 AM
Any word from the devs on this issue??

Ziuwari
03-20-2005, 03:31 AM
Just replied in the other CTD topic, but I guess this one here is more likely to attract some sort of attention. Already tried the technical support page, there's nothing in the FAW about it, and the hotline is both expensive and for Britain only...

I am also experiencing multiple crashes to the desktop, almost exclusively after loading savegames (not any particular savegame, generally any). Lately it's crashing directly after loading the save, just as soon as I click on anything that changes station or gives orders it goes down the drain. Yesterday it was mostly crashing around 10 seconds to two minutes after loading, just randomly and not related to anything particular, since I tried to do different things after loading every time.
When I load a game at the start of the mission, it works sometimes for me, most crashes occur on 'on patrol' savegames. Also, when I play through the patrol, it works fine for three patrols in a row without any problem. This sounds very much like a game issue to me. I've never had any problems with the latest games I've bought, and this one's too great to let go without a fight...

sys specs:
Athlon 64 1800 Mhz
Sapphire Radeon 9200SE (drivers are the latest as of ATI)
512 MB DDR RAM
Windows 2000, Service Pack 4 installed
SB Live!

And the problem persisted after installing the v1.1 patch (not that I expected it to fix it though, since the issue isn't adressed there). It's nice to have patches to fix the minor hick-ups, but what about the real important game issues?

PinkPriest
03-20-2005, 04:15 AM
I haven't any crashes during missions so far. But as soon as I exit the game, my computer reboots.

I think it started with 1.1, but I haven't played any long sessions under 1.0.

3 to 4 hours of play, patrol complete, exit game and computer reboots. Didn't happen with 1.0, but I only played 1 hour at a time...

PC specs:
P4 2.6 GHz
1 GB RAM
ATI X800Pro (4.10 Cat, due to problems with IL2, although 5.3 Cat should fix them. Haven't installed it yet.)
Win2k SP4
DirectX 9.0c

450 MB free on the partition I installed SH3 on, so it shouldn't be a problem with a too large swap file either.

pzrshrek
03-20-2005, 06:04 AM
*crosspost*

Unfortunatley, i have similair problems:

AFter my 7th patrol i get random CDT's (crash to desktop) while on patrol, and itoccurs when i in crew menu select "cruise surface/submerged" or on occasions doing any switches in the crew/damage screen.

And it has only begun now when i am at May 1940. Note that i don't have a single crash before 1940.

My first career of which i abandoned due to the patch, did exactly the same, after 1940 something happens, atleast in my game..

My conclusion is:

* when crew gets to many decorations/xp/skills it starts to overload the game.

* something happens after 1940

* a hardware issue. Note however, i have no hardware issues with other games.

* i have only 512 ddr ram

...something above is the problem, maybe if others report exactly when it crashes we could round up the problems easier?

pzrshrek
03-20-2005, 06:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pzrshrek:
*crosspost*

Unfortunatley, i have similair problems:

AFter my 7th patrol i get random CDT's (crash to desktop) while on patrol, and itoccurs when i in crew menu select "cruise surface/submerged" or on occasions doing any switches in the crew/damage screen.

And it has only begun now when i am at May 1940. Note that i don't have a single crash before 1940.

My first career of which i abandoned due to the patch, did exactly the same, after 1940 something happens, atleast in my game..

My conclusion is:

* when crew gets to many decorations/xp/skills it starts to overload the game.

* something happens after 1940

* a hardware issue. Note however, i have no hardware issues with other games.

* i have only 512 ddr ram

...something above is the problem, maybe if others report exactly when it crashes we could round up the problems easier? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, had to add:

Could it even be the uboat? Ive recently upgraded to V II in both careers, and also note i have been playing for 4 days.

Hardware:
pentium 2.4
865pe neo2 motherboard
ati radeon 9700pro
512 ddr ram
win xp
audigy 2
sound theatre 5.1 external

Cobrajs12
03-20-2005, 12:11 PM
I should be getting another stick of 512 RAM in the mail soon. I hope it fixes this problem. i starting to get really mad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif First Lock-On now this.

pondr
03-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Crashing when clicking in/out of Crew/Damage Management screen, frustrating as this is an awesome sim.

ATI 9600 128K PRO Graphics Card
512K RAM
Patched to 1.1

trouble159
03-20-2005, 01:49 PM
I had the exact same problem, but I found the soulution on my compter. It was a sound problem. I had installed a sound blaster to my PC and never disable the onboard sound card through my systems BIOS. After I disabled the sound card from my systems BIOS it worked perfect.

Cobrajs12
03-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Well, my computer says these are the source of my problem but not how to fix it. Anyone else know?

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERef9a.dir00\Mini 032005-03.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERef9a.dir00\sysd ata.xml

Actung_Spitfire
03-20-2005, 04:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trouble159:
I had the exact same problem, but I found the soulution on my compter. It was a sound problem. I had installed a sound blaster to my PC and never disable the onboard sound card through my systems BIOS. After I disabled the sound card from my systems BIOS it worked perfect. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did the same thing but it hasn't fixed anything!

Actung_Spitfire
03-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Has anyone noticed that the magority of the posts in this thread have an ATI Radeon Graphics card....Hmmm I wonder.

Cobrajs12
03-20-2005, 04:37 PM
I went to sound and audio devices propertys and this is what it has:

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481b
Realtek High definition audio
Audio codecs
Legacy Audio drivers
Media control devices
Legacy video capture devices
Video codecs

No Idea what to do, any ideas?

sindelia
03-21-2005, 06:10 AM
Customer support for this game is among the worst ive seen yet.. and i see alot.. i review games for a very popular pc games magazine in sweden and i gotta say the percentige of this game score is going down the drain.. perhaps its a nice game but who can tell since alot of us cant play long enough to form an oppinion.. i have now tested the game on a total of 19 computers and it behaves quite diffrently on all of them but on none of thse the game works well.. if you then mix in the missing wolfpacks and other things that really sold this game and just simply isnt there then i gotta say this is poorly handled and shoddy work at best.,. the game is now uninstalled and placed next to catwoman in the lowscore of the year portion of the shelf.

dasboot2005
03-21-2005, 07:04 AM
It can be your BIOS drivers. I also had that prob a half a year ago. So just check out your motherboard ( mine was also from ASUS ) type and fix it.

drdespair
03-21-2005, 10:00 AM
For those of you who are crashing and are sure that you have all the latest drivers, should try to reduce the hardware acceleration settings for both video and sound.. try sound first.. perticularly people with SB, also check to make sure your onboard sound is deactivated throught bios. (if you are using a PCI card)

UnderDaGun
03-21-2005, 01:18 PM
I've reduced sound hardware acceleration through each step between full accleration and no acceleration. Game continues to crash.

jhodgson1977
04-30-2005, 10:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bweiss:
I didn't read all through this so forgive me if someone already suggested this. But I run this fine on a PIII 733Mhz Coppermine. I do use a Nvidia 5900Ultra, but only 512 RAM. And it runs fairly smooth. Not like minimum specs ofcourse, but I also had crash and freeze ups at first. I just backed down the graphics load and it worked. No more freezes or crashes. Some jitters around lots of graphics, like in Lorient, but not at sea. Runs smooth, doesn't crash. Turn off the high end graphics and back down the pixel fill thingy. I put mine on zero for port, 33 at sea. I set my card on performance selections, but do use FSAA 2X and triliner filtering. Hope something in that helps you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

plase HELP me i am running silent hunter under the minimem requirements
my computer meets every thing except 1300mhz of prossecing speed
instead i have a 1250mhz amd athlon prossecor 50mhz below required
do you think sh3 will damige or kill my cpu
my game also runs smooth i have my particle settings around 50% and explosians smoke dust and every thing looks grate explosians especealy
love the game and want to play it but dont dare
just in case what do you think PLASE HELP

jhodgson1977
04-30-2005, 10:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bweiss:
I didn't read all through this so forgive me if someone already suggested this. But I run this fine on a PIII 733Mhz Coppermine. I do use a Nvidia 5900Ultra, but only 512 RAM. And it runs fairly smooth. Not like minimum specs ofcourse, but I also had crash and freeze ups at first. I just backed down the graphics load and it worked. No more freezes or crashes. Some jitters around lots of graphics, like in Lorient, but not at sea. Runs smooth, doesn't crash. Turn off the high end graphics and back down the pixel fill thingy. I put mine on zero for port, 33 at sea. I set my card on performance selections, but do use FSAA 2X and triliner filtering. Hope something in that helps you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hi PLEASE HELP i have played sh3 for short piriods of time 1 hour or so and it runs fine
on 50% particle settings
i am running it on a 1250 mhz amd athlon
whith a geforce fx 5200 128mb i meet all the requirements execpt prossecor speed wich i 1300mhz 50 mhz more than i have will this kill my prossesor burn it out or damige it PLEASE HELP

Lovo_Kasistan
04-30-2005, 11:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jhodgson1977:
hi PLEASE HELP i have played sh3 for short piriods of time 1 hour or so and it runs fine
on 50% particle settings
i am running it on a 1250 mhz amd athlon
whith a geforce fx 5200 128mb i meet all the requirements execpt prossecor speed wich i 1300mhz 50 mhz more than i have will this kill my prossesor burn it out or damige it PLEASE HELP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Has something happened or is this just precautionary? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Usually a heatsink that was marked as being able to cool your CPU should be enough. The minimum requirements are not a safety threshold and doesn't mean that the components that are below it explode if you try to use them. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jhodgson1977
04-30-2005, 12:58 PM
THANKS
nothing has happend and the game works smooth even in big convoys i was just making sure

Luke_Malone
05-01-2005, 03:07 AM
I have crash-exit when i start from a saved position.
When i'm playing after some seconds it crashout!
Why????
Anyone have the same problem?

jimco777
05-04-2005, 09:46 AM
well i have a athlon 3.400 and have the same promblem tried all sugestions from ubi support
no joy , reading the forums it seems we will have to wait for a patch oh dear what a shame
jimco

hornetrasp
05-04-2005, 09:11 PM
I have an idea guys, how about we all send our games back to ubi with orders to stick it, and demand our money back. Perhaps then they will listen and stop producing this kind of poor quality games. I know SH2 had its problems, but nothing compaired to SH3. The folks at ubi either rushed this game, or were just careless. If I produced this kind of stuff at my job, I'd be fired. I have posted something here about my crashes too. Perhaps you guys have experienced the same kind of crashes. I can't even finish one campaign mission.

Hornet

Cavalier889
05-04-2005, 11:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrwabbie:
Hi all,

I have a
p4 530 sock 775(3 ghz)
ASUS P5DG1 Mobo
Nvidia 6600 GT 128 MB
80 Gig Sata Seagate HD
Lite-on cd/bunriner
530 MAX WATT - EATX
Windows XP SP2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this crash only happen on the one training mission, or does it happen at other times? If it's just in the mission with aircraft, there may be a sound file issue. Do you know what your sound chipset is? All the hardware in your post looks like it should have no problem with them game. More information might help.

To those of you having CTDs after loading a save game, gathering evidence at Subsim.com is starting to point to a memory leak or an overrun in the ship tracking method causing corruption in the save games. Try saving your game (more than once at a time) about every hour or so, and restart the game. If you CTD, be sure to reboot your pc before starting the game again. If this helps post back here, because it tends to confirm the memory leak theory, and might give us something to send to the developers.

As to response from the developers, I'm getting the impression that you have to go to the German forum to hear from them directly. That's where all the 1.3 patch tidbits are coming from.

diverre
05-05-2005, 01:28 AM
Hi Guys.....I wish i had never bought SH3! Does anyone get the problem i get? I also get CTD or more so before the last patches ...but the strange thing i get (and ONLY since SH3 and no other game(s) ever!)is after playing @ 5 to 20 mins by cpu crashes to a blue screen with tons of writing about probable problems, but at the bottom it says dumping physical memory? I have loads of Gigs spare and 1024DDR? In all my years on Gaming i have never seen it before????

Anyone have any ideas? I have had this game since the day it hit Amazon.co.uk and i havent done/played anything yet! I will be very careful of buying Ubis's stuff from now on!

lummet
05-06-2005, 02:37 AM
well i changed my nvidia sound driver to realtek
mobo sound driver and shutdown antivirus software
while running the game and now its runs fine.
some sound stuttering when in crew managmed
window.

ChrisClark
05-07-2005, 09:50 AM
I had a problem, like many, many other people, where the game would crash to windows after about minutes into a patrol. Didn't do it in training, for some reason, just the career mode. Sometimes it would crash when loading a patrol, the progress bar would leap up about a cm, then another one, at which point it minimised, and I got a big black rectangle and the windows 'Send error' dialogue.
After reading posts saying this was a sound card issue, I grabbed the latest drivers for my Audigy 2, and the crash-in-patrol problem went away. However, it seems now that if you try to reload a saved game, it still does the crash-on-load thing! Does anyone know when patch 1.3 is coming out?!

ArchangelSKT
05-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Well I don`t know if this is any help with the loss of savegames but today I have lost my saves TWIZE.

And prior to each of them I have had a crash to desktop with an error message saying something like " could not read referenced memory " and alot of numbers and stuff, I forgot to write it down as it appeared.

Both times I had to debug the programme :-(

Hope this will be addressed since it appears it is quite a few people having issues with it and it is a major one for sure.

I personally don`t even know if there is a point for me to continue to play it until this has been fixed.

fataldigital2
05-08-2005, 05:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">diverre posted Thu May 05 2005 00:28
Hi Guys.....I wish i had never bought SH3! Does anyone get the problem i get? I also get CTD or more so before the last patches ...but the strange thing i get (and ONLY since SH3 and no other game(s) ever!)is after playing @ 5 to 20 mins by cpu crashes to a blue screen with tons of writing about probable problems, but at the bottom it says dumping physical memory? I have loads of Gigs spare and 1024DDR? In all my years on Gaming i have never seen it before????

Anyone have any ideas? I have had this game since the day it hit Amazon.co.uk and i havent done/played anything yet! I will be very careful of buying Ubis's stuff from now on! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same problem, when i am playing for like 3 minits then the game crashes and a blue window appears with saying stuff and eventually the only thing i can do is re-boot.
Is there found any solution yet?

The Avon Lady
05-08-2005, 05:50 AM
Shooting from the hip:

Try changing your graphics adapter's driver version. If you've got the latest version, that's not necessarily the best and most stable.

Go to sites like Guru 3D (http://www.guru3d.com/) for both old and new driver versions. You can also download from them utilities that will make sure that you've fully uninstalled your existing driver files before you install a different driver version.

Also be 100% certain that your PC is virus and spyware free.

Also, try playing around with reducing your audio adapter's harware acceleration setting. And if you've got an old SB Live card, get something - anything - newer! And make sure your audio drivers are up to date.

How much memory do you have? 1GB is excellent. Also make sure your Windows virtual swap file is not too small. You should seek advice about setting it manually.

Finally, do you have decent RAM chips installed? Are they 100% matching? There are memory test utility downloads that can help you check. Maybe someone else here recalls their names.

Good luck! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EDIT: Another thing: if you're overclocking your CPU or GPU, try disabling overclocking and see if that resolves the problem.

Feathered_IV
05-08-2005, 07:08 AM
I comply with all of that but mine plays for about 3-4 sessions although it always crashes and resarts the computer when I exit the game. Around the fourth time this happens the mission will freeze in a paused state at the initialising phase and nothing will unpause it. The only option is to completly uninstall then reinstall the game http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif.

Any ideas?

Cavalier889
05-08-2005, 11:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fataldigital2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">diverre posted Thu May 05 2005 00:28

Anyone have any ideas? I have had this game since the day it hit Amazon.co.uk and i havent done/played anything yet! I will be very careful of buying Ubis's stuff from now on! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same problem, when i am playing for like 3 minits then the game crashes and a blue window appears with saying stuff and eventually the only thing i can do is re-boot.
Is there found any solution yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember reading that some of the BSOD crashes are related to sound drivers. Check to make sure those are up to date. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

ounces
05-09-2005, 07:29 PM
I have the same problem with a new gateway computer udated from 512 additional256meg ram. Using fx5200 nvdia graphics card. Crashes to desktop at aircraft training and topedo training. Haven't seen such big big bug problem since age of sails III which never was solved and have never bought another product from developers. Seems it should be fraud with the poor support and ..but try returning software these days and you need a letter signed by ..

jimco777
05-10-2005, 02:27 AM
Hi TRY THIS control ,display, propeties,settings, advanced,smartgart tab,set agp to 4x apply restart pc.this seems to work for me,high spec pc athlon 3.400 radeon 9800.
hope this helps some of you Jimco.

Baldricks_Mate
05-10-2005, 05:36 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif Heeelllpppp! Had game for about 2 weeks...everything fine until today...no mods installed...I made no system configuration/hardware changes...now game goes through inital start screens, then crash! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif "Silent Hunter 111 has encountered a problem & needs to close". Try repair option, no good, crash! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif Try fresh reload over the top of existing files, crash! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif Wipe everything, check registry for SH111 footprints, defrag, reboot, re-load game from scratch. After re-install message comes up that my machine meets or exceeds minimum game requirements. Load game, go to career, enter new name, then crash! Try single mission, choose mission, then crash! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif Ring Ubi Aust...can't wait on the phone that long http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif Game is of course not able to be played in any form. Running a P4 3.0G, Gigagyte 81848P m/board, Radeon 9800xt, 1 gig RAM &XP sp2. Checked video drivers, direct x version, even m/board drivers for being up to date. Still able to play Splinter Cell Pandora, Call 0f Duty or any other game, I borrowed Brothers In Arms from a mate just to check...its only SH111 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Has anyone got any ideas? before I take it up with Consumer Affairs (Australia)

ChrisClark
05-12-2005, 01:38 PM
If anyone is still interested, I solved all crashing problems on my machine by simply making sure my PC ran cooler. It is easy on my PC because I have a three speed fan, so I cranked it up. Also took the side of my case. PC now runs cooler and I have not had one single crash in a week. Sounds like I'm sat next to a jet engine, but the game runs good. Give it a go, see if it does the same for you.

Soulcommander
05-12-2005, 02:35 PM
First off guys I would like to say POST your system specs!

My system
Antec SX 1040 w/ 400W Power supply
Asus A7V266-E
Bios version 1004b
AMD xp2000+
2 512mb crucial DDR (Infinion Chips)2100 memory in 1st and 2nd slot
Win. XP Pro sp1 not sp2
1 80 GB Western Digital HD & 1 120GB WD 8meg cache ..One on each promise controller
Toshiba DVD on Primary IDE Controller
Plextor 40x12x40 CDRW on Secondary IDE controller
Visiontec Geforce 4 TI4600, 128mb Using IRQ 11 66.93 drivers
3com905cx-tx NM Nic card Slot 5 using IrQ 9
Creative Audigy platinum PCI slot 3 Using IRQ 5 and 10 with the latest drivers
Running in jumperfree mode
Voltage set to 2.65
No raid configured

I have the crash as well although when it happens everything freezes...this is while playing "Single Missions" I havent tried anything else yet like campaigns. When it freezes I get a stuttering sound and then a blue screen (that you can't read as the computer reboots to fast) it says something about rebooting to prevent damage to your system....

When you get back into windows I read this:
The Driver for the display device was unable to complete a drawing operation. Please check with the device manufacturer for a driver update.
It also gave this info:
SzAppname: device.display SzAppver: 10dE0250A200000000

Szmodname:Nv4_disp.dll Szmodver:6.14.10.6693 Offset: E86C06EA

It also said that my TI 4600 seems to be the cause and to check with the manufacturer for a driver update....
I checked with Nvidia read me notes and there is nothing updated for the Silent Hunter 3 game...

Also I just patched to version 1.3 when this happened, although it has happend with the 1.2 patch as well.
I gave all this info as Im not sure if the DEV team reads these posts.
I also wanted to say that I can't understand how this game got released like this. I have over 100 games and not one has ever caused me a problem. Including Far Cry from Ubi....
So Im a bit curious as to what drivers and system specs ubi was using when thy released this game.

I checked the windows event viewer too and saw a fault bucket message and a save dump message.

Also wanted to add that this happens when a Torpedo hits a ship...then all freezes and the computer reboots after the blue screen appears.

I have called UBI before here in the states and the support is LACKING!

Der.Adler
05-12-2005, 03:23 PM
I am pretty sure it has to do with sound, so
focus on that area. Had a perfectly running game
(Europe version), then loaded up some mp3´s
into the gramophone and game crashed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif. Now
converted those into ogg files (at CONSTANT btr)
and all is fine once more.

Really hope this helps yall cuz this game is
really 2 good 2 giv up http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Soulcommander
05-13-2005, 01:55 PM
I can't imagine it has anything to do with sound as my error message I received after the computer rebooted was about the Driver for the display device....and it even said NV4_disp.dll which is my Nvidia Geforce 4 TI 4600 card....
Maybe its a combination of a whole lot of problems...I Wish I could see what the Dev team was using for computers when this game was being developed and tested...It would be nice to see their specs!

I did call UBISOFT in the states here and their tech was of little help other than to say to try updating the video card drivers. Did that...but no help.

I just hope the devs get on this or I will be asking for a refund. Yes the game is sweet when it works!

SC
Out

hammer_232
05-13-2005, 07:21 PM
well i have had the game for about 3 weeks and every time in the torpedo traing mission when i raise the periscope and as soon as its about to rerach the surface, my game crashes and i get an error messasge saying that windows has recovered from a serius failure and needs to reboot. iv tried it in the navigiton traning and it dosent happen.

comp specs
p4 2.66Ghz
512MB Ram (soon to be 1GB)
intel extrem grapics (soon to be replaced as well)
SB Live!

fataldigital2
05-14-2005, 02:41 AM
Hey,
I dont know or it will help but my game crashed when i shutted it down with the reboot thing popping up so i sended a report to windows and then a window popped up with saying i needed to update C-media audio ....
So i went to the site but that went way too slow, so i went to windows updates u find that start-configuration window and then see also...
If u get to chose between fast install and the other option pick the last option and then updates for hardware(also check out software) if the C-media thing is standing there, that will probably be the problem, if u install it and reboot and you play the game the error normally wont pop up again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
-
Pentium 4 3.20GHz, 1 GB
NVidia GeForce 6800 LE

-

Soulcommander
05-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Im thinking that all the messages that we are getting from windows has really nothing to do with our sound or video! Its just a game that has problems! Like maybe a memory leak issue! As I have read posts saying it must be if you have an Nvidia card..but then there are people with other video cards and its happening to them too! So I would have to say it is either the game or a recent Windows update that we performed. I only say that as just before I got the game I did do a Windows security update that had about 4 updates...I do not run sp2 either...still sp1!

My 2Cents...

twan35
05-15-2005, 05:32 PM
i had the same problem.
But after a virus scan it turned out i was infected by a trojan dropper.
now it runs fine.
I also read some spy ware could couse the problem.Download free spyware remover at
http://www.adaware.com

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

twan35
05-15-2005, 05:37 PM
try this link it opens directly in free ad-awere
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

twan35
05-15-2005, 05:38 PM
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Soulcommander
05-15-2005, 07:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by twan35:
i had the same problem.
But after a virus scan it turned out i was infected by a trojan dropper.
now it runs fine.
I also read some spy ware could couse the problem.Download free spyware remover at
http://www.adaware.com

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have had Lava softs program for years...no spyware on my machine and my virus defs are always up to date! Not the issue dude!