PDA

View Full Version : Tracer Smoke Over Modeled?

SimmerZoomer
10-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Hi folks. Been out of IL2 for over a year and I'm getting back into it now.

This may have been asked before, so appologies if it has.

Is there a way to either tone down, or remove completely, the tracer smoke trails? Also, can the muzzle "flames" also be toned down a bit?

I find both slightly over modeled (could be wrong about the gun muzzle flames, but if there accurate, I'd still love to "less flame" them a bit).

Besides, I don't think all guns, everywhere, have smoke tracers. I've noticed that even ships cannons (big guns) seem to have smoke tracers. I think this may be a little unrealistic.

Anyway, if there is a way to accomplish my goal, many thanks in advance for advice or links to do so. Love the game now that I'm getting back into it, and VERY MUCH looking forward to Pacific Fighters.

Happy Flying,
Joe

Von_Zero
10-08-2004, 04:51 PM
nope http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

SimmerZoomer
10-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Bummer Von_Zero.

I thought for sure there would be a Mod or something.

Is it just me that thinks the tracer smoke is a bit overmodeled?

Joe

Von_Zero
10-09-2004, 05:55 AM
the part about the muzzle flash was discussed like a million times already, everybody knows it's wrong, but there is nothing to be done.
There aren't any "mods" for this game, its main purpose is (or atleast was supposed to be) total realism, no arcadish stuf... etc....

bazzaah2
10-09-2004, 06:28 AM
not sure that the smoke from rounds is overmodelled. Plenty of guncam footage shows it.

MOhz
10-09-2004, 09:22 AM
question from a stupid (me): why in the first place do guns or bullets or whatever it is leave traces? i mean i understand when an assault gun is smoking but why are bullets leaving a trace like that?? and do some bullets in pistols or assualt guns do that??

Stiglr
10-09-2004, 10:43 AM
One, the tracer smoke is not necessarily overmodelled. You don't always see it that clearly (I think alt and temperature and weather have something to do with it) but there are many samples of guncam video that show tracer just like what we have...as well as many that don't.

As for what causes it, there were dedicated tracer shells with phosphorous, I believe, on them, and that's what creates the bright trails.

Willey
10-09-2004, 10:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Von_Zero:
the part about the muzzle flash was discussed like a million times already, everybody knows it's wrong, but there is nothing to be done. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get PF when it's out. They did something for sure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

As for the smoke, IMHO it's very overmodelled in CPU/GPU cycles. Put 4 Wirbelwind in a map and you'll get a slideshow. I just wonder how a full fast force barrage fire will be then... maybe a frame every 10 seconds http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Von_Zero
10-09-2004, 10:56 AM
the role of a tracer is to show the path on wich the bullet is flying.
an object even if it is 10cm long and has a diameter of 2cm, travveling at 2500km/h it is virtually invisible.
when u fire at something, u may not hit from the first shot, but u see where ur bullets(tracers) passed and make the required correction.
a tracer round has a small hole in the rear part which is filled with a substance that ignites itself in contact with the air (or is ignited by the detonation). some tracer leave a smoke trail, others "glow" (like on the .50 in game).

Obi_Kwiet
10-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Tracer smoke can, in some instances, be the same size as in the game, but in game, it never dissapates like real smoke. This can't be fixed because the smoke in this game is made from 2D sprites. It's not 3D like the clouds. This means it can't dissapate, and it looks realy dorky espically near the begining. As for the muzzle flash, there have been 20 page whines about this. We think it's going to be fixed (finally) in PF.

MIG16
10-09-2004, 11:22 AM
The smoke is not always "smoke" but condensation. In certain weather conditions the low pressure behind a round will make the air condence and hence leave a trace.