PDA

View Full Version : Why?

hueywolf123
04-27-2006, 03:47 PM
My first mission to Canada, I was put into a type IX-D and sent to a grid somewhere near Sydney (Canada, not Australia). I sat near the mouth of whatever that inlet is and a convoy appeared. It was bristling with Destroyers but I managed to get 2 tankers. It took me three hours to evade these guys (even with x4 time comp). By this time the convoy was long gone, so I waited till dark and snuk into Sydney (again Canada, not my home town). I took out two Flower class destroyers on the way in, then surfaced in the actual harbour.Two coastal steamers, two fishing trawlers and one freighter. These I took out with the deck gun then headed off. Noticing my fuel was getting lower, I planned to head home at a slower than normal speed to conserve as much as I could. On the way out a third Flower class had turned up and to my horror at being caught on the surface, realised I had no more deck gun ammo. Too shallow to crash dive, so I manned the Ack-Ack myself and went to ahead flank. I trained all fire at the bridge and this seemed to stop it coming after me enough to get to deeper water and dive. Another exercise in stealth and evasion. Eventaully I was able to get a spread of three away at him (my last three) and scored with the last one - phew!.
Off home now, low on fuel and no more ammo. We made it to home port with 10% fuel remaining, and I docked without crashing this time. Mission over and when I went back to command to see our record of this trip and what medals/promotions/qualifications we had got - nothing. No memory at all of that mission, I have even checked all folders etc, nothing.
Anyone have any idea as to what could have done this?
There was no screen flicker, nothing froze at all, nothing unusual happened.
Its never done it since, but that was one of my more harrowing trips, lucky to survive, lucky to get back on the last breath of fuel.
I was a little pissed about it as it was the first time I had taken any risks like that at 100%

hueywolf123
04-27-2006, 03:47 PM
My first mission to Canada, I was put into a type IX-D and sent to a grid somewhere near Sydney (Canada, not Australia). I sat near the mouth of whatever that inlet is and a convoy appeared. It was bristling with Destroyers but I managed to get 2 tankers. It took me three hours to evade these guys (even with x4 time comp). By this time the convoy was long gone, so I waited till dark and snuk into Sydney (again Canada, not my home town). I took out two Flower class destroyers on the way in, then surfaced in the actual harbour.Two coastal steamers, two fishing trawlers and one freighter. These I took out with the deck gun then headed off. Noticing my fuel was getting lower, I planned to head home at a slower than normal speed to conserve as much as I could. On the way out a third Flower class had turned up and to my horror at being caught on the surface, realised I had no more deck gun ammo. Too shallow to crash dive, so I manned the Ack-Ack myself and went to ahead flank. I trained all fire at the bridge and this seemed to stop it coming after me enough to get to deeper water and dive. Another exercise in stealth and evasion. Eventaully I was able to get a spread of three away at him (my last three) and scored with the last one - phew!.
Off home now, low on fuel and no more ammo. We made it to home port with 10% fuel remaining, and I docked without crashing this time. Mission over and when I went back to command to see our record of this trip and what medals/promotions/qualifications we had got - nothing. No memory at all of that mission, I have even checked all folders etc, nothing.
Anyone have any idea as to what could have done this?
There was no screen flicker, nothing froze at all, nothing unusual happened.
Its never done it since, but that was one of my more harrowing trips, lucky to survive, lucky to get back on the last breath of fuel.
I was a little pissed about it as it was the first time I had taken any risks like that at 100%

Klaevkhar
04-27-2006, 08:14 PM
IIRC, there is a bug that if you actually dock at your home port, the mission will be scrubed.

Always safe to save about 100km out of port in case this happens.

HW3
04-28-2006, 09:57 AM
There is no bug about docking at your home port and the mission being scrubbed. What the bug is if you buy upgrades to your sub before setting out on your first patrol, you will not get any credit for any sinkings you did, so no medals, promotions, ect.

Kaleun1961
04-28-2006, 10:00 AM
HW3 is right. One thing I might add is that you navigate back to within 30 kms of your home base, not 100. What I personally do is navigate back into the harbour area. I used to get really fancy and back it into the berth or pen, but that became a bore after a while.

Too bad about losing the data, Huey, that was one hell of a patrol. What a shame to lose all that. Sydney, for information purposes, is a city on Cape Breton Island, in the province of Nova Scotia, Canada. I've set sail from there many times on the CN ferries over to Newfoundland. Nova Scotia was orginally settled by Scots, hence the name, which means New Scotland. Nova Scotians, like all Canadian maritimers, are a really down-home friendly kind of people. It's a beautiful and scenic land. My people are from nearby, across the Gulf in Newfoundland, another naturally beautiful place. Right, I'll shut up now; I'm sounding like a tourism board rep.

The_Silent_O
04-28-2006, 11:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
HW3 is right. One thing I might add is that you navigate back to within 30 kms of your home base, not 100. What I personally do is navigate back into the harbour area. I used to get really fancy and back it into the berth or pen, but that became a bore after a while.

Too bad about losing the data, Huey, that was one hell of a patrol. What a shame to lose all that. Sydney, for information purposes, is a city on Cape Breton Island, in the province of Nova Scotia, Canada. I've set sail from there many times on the CN ferries over to Newfoundland. Nova Scotia was orginally settled by Scots, hence the name, which means New Scotland. Nova Scotians, like all Canadian maritimers, are a really down-home friendly kind of people. It's a beautiful and scenic land. My people are from nearby, across the Gulf in Newfoundland, another naturally beautiful place. Right, I'll shut up now; I'm sounding like a tourism board rep. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The un-biased, un-Canadian Silent_O can attest the the beauty of the Canadian Maritimes. The views, water, people and food are all GREAT http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Great place to get away from the heat in the summertime.

Now I need to travel to the other side and do some mountain biking and skiing at Kamloops, BC

hueywolf123
04-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Hmmmm, you both have me feeling guilty now for going there and sinking everything. I'll hit out at the 'Seppos' next, just to even the score