PDA

View Full Version : best control/joystick what you prefer???

daswift12005
02-14-2007, 11:06 AM
hi guys , i fly with a logitech extreme 3 d pro.
[x3d] i think it is ok , havent had any isue's with it . but , ive read before on here somewhere about joysticks and about forsed feedback . is it more realistic or not at all ?
does it make playing this game a bigger better fest for me ? where r you flying with and is the best one to buy you reacon ??

daswift12005
02-14-2007, 11:06 AM
hi guys , i fly with a logitech extreme 3 d pro.
[x3d] i think it is ok , havent had any isue's with it . but , ive read before on here somewhere about joysticks and about forsed feedback . is it more realistic or not at all ?
does it make playing this game a bigger better fest for me ? where r you flying with and is the best one to buy you reacon ??

TheBandit_76
02-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Ebay, all day long for cheeps.

http://img.clubic.com/photo/00041668.jpg

ploughman
02-14-2007, 12:07 PM
I must've been in 30 auctions on e-bay for x-45s, x-52s and MSFFB sticks and they always end up in the stratosphere. I even saw one second hand x-52 setup go for MORE than it cost to buy one new! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Then I come on here and folk say, I picked up an MSFFB for 2.99 last week on ebay and it works great, goes grand with the CH pedals I got for a fiver the other day.

***must keep trying****

daswift12005
02-14-2007, 12:14 PM
r x 45 and 52 the better joysticks ?? from good to terrible where do they stand ? and compared to my logitech ?? what brand is x 45 ?

Chris0382
02-14-2007, 12:27 PM
If you only need a few button the flightstick pro is my favorite but if you need more buttons then the combatstick 568 is my preference. Fighterstick is nice but too many hats on it (I need buttons).

Chivas
02-14-2007, 12:35 PM
I would recommend either the MSFF2 or Saitek Aviator joystick combined with a CH Throttle, and Saitek Pro Pedals. Plus TrackIR...and Medusa 5.1 headset and mic...

~Salute~
Chivas

daswift12005
02-14-2007, 02:35 PM
so ms ff2 is the way to go then ?? is the feedback force turn out to be realistic ? im thinking of buying 1 tmorrow but once yr in the shop and you see all of em standing there , one even more slick then the other you dont know what to choose , and what the salesman tells you , is rubbich anyway . people feel free to advice me so i can make a choice with dedicated die hard opinion . i'lle check this tread bfore i go to shop offcourse , thanks in advance ,. da swift1 , always on the go

knightflyte
02-14-2007, 04:26 PM
The Microsoft Force Feedback stick is no longer made. It CAN be found on Ebay for a premium.

Saitek makes several nice HOTAS set ups. HOTAS stands for hands off throttle and stick. It consists of a joystick and throttle like the one THE BANDIT posted above. This will allow a great amount of freedom and immersion in the flight sim experience without relying on your computers keyboard for various functions.

The popular Saitek models are the X 45 (about 4 years old) the X 52 (about two years old) and the X 52 PRO (just released last month).

CH Products make great sticks and throttles. I love mine, and I've owned a Logitec, an X 45, and a Saitek Cyborg Force Feedback stick before owning my CH Products. My Saiteks and Logitecs felt loose after time and I became somewhat dissatisfied with them and wanted something better. (I love Flight Simming so money wasn't an issue) The Logitec's rudder control wouldn't recenter.

Anyway, MANY who've bought CH Products swear by their reliability. I so far am a happy camper.

Cougar Thrustmaster is another HOTAS manufacturer. I think the stick is to strong for my likeing and would be hard to aim appropriately. Others swear by them, and spend almost 500 to 700 dollars to buy and modify them.

For added immersion a set of rudder peddles will go a long way in increasing your enjoyment of flight simming.

As far as force feedback or not force feedback that is a personal decision. One that usually comes from experience. I LOVED Logitec's FF. It made shooting harder...but I never realised that was what was making it difficult to line a shot. My EVO Force was FF too, and it's effect was less than the Logitec. Enter my CH Products. I thought I'd be lost without FF. I'm very happy without it. I even thought for a while I'd like to do a customization to my CH stick to get FF. Not now. I can live without it as I get audio cues from the games warning me of stalls. Again it's personal preference.

I'd do a google search on the three manufacturers. And....I'm sure you'll get more opinions and info here.

Bottom line is if you think this as a hobby you'll stay with then SPEND THE MONEY. In the long run it'll be cheaper, and lead to a better overall experience.

Oh, and on Satek's website you can find reconditioned setups for usually 60% of the retail price. Might be worth a look see.

Again I love my CH Products. I recommend them highly, but you're the one flying. You have to be comfortable with the set up you use.

Bearcat99
02-14-2007, 04:52 PM
http://star.walagata.com/w/bearcat/myrig.jpg

The MSFFB2 is no longer made.. but it is the best FFB stick around... you might be able to find one on Ebay. The Saiteks are good. I use a Saitek/MSFFB2 combo.. I just swapped out my CH pedals for the Saiteks. My X-45 is modded... I took the guts of the stick and mounted them on the side of my throttle.
I recommend Saitek. Try this site (http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/recprod.html) for the Saiteks.

knightflyte
02-14-2007, 04:55 PM
I see you have he compass rose in a rather handy location, Bearcat.

I know I have it somewhere on disc. I lost track of it after I reformatted a while ago. I should dig it out.

SeaVee
02-14-2007, 05:07 PM
As was mentioned the MSFFB2 is no longer made but it is IMO hands down the best gaming joystick ever made.

I've had mine for 8 years +/- with zero issues and am planning to buy a used backup on ebay. I don't know what I'd do if it dies down the road and they are no longer obtainable.

I'm surprised someone hasn't approached M$ with an offer to buy whatever patent and tooling there was for the MSFFB2 and start making and selling them under another name again.

VF-51-Dart
02-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Cougar all the way for me.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

jermin122
02-14-2007, 06:39 PM
MSFF2 rules! I use a X45 throttle + MSFF2 + CH Pro peddals + TrackIR3 Pro vector combo. I have to say it is just fantastic to use them fighting in the air. IMHO, X45 throttle is better than X52 throttle because its rotary is more suitable for trim which is a must have if you fly 109.

knightflyte
02-14-2007, 06:49 PM
THAT'S an option that I wish that CH Products would impliment. ROTARIES. I miss trimming on a rotary.
As an experiment I set elevator trim up on my CH Fighterstick's throttle wheel. I now know what the BAT TURN really is. WOW! What a cheat!!!! Man, Ray Ban! No wonder you liked it!!!!!

The way CH impliments the hatswitch on the throttle instead of a rotary makes it difficult to know where center trim is. At least with the Saitek Rotary on the throttle you have an indent to feel it.

You do get used to it on the CH, but it's not as intuitive as on the X 45.

Bearcat99
02-14-2007, 07:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jermin122:
MSFF2 rules! I use a X45 throttle + MSFF2 + CH Pro peddals + TrackIR3 Pro vector combo. I have to say it is just fantastic to use them fighting in the air. IMHO, X45 throttle is better than X52 throttle because its rotary is more suitable for trim which is a must have if you fly 109. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Jermin.. you see that X-45 on my desk? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

The combo works great... do you keep the stick off to the side or do you use it as a button bay? If you dont then you should. Even if you don't want to tear it apart... you can use the SST software really work it well. I use all my hats as 4 way switches... I have the black button on the throttle next to the mouse set up as Alt,CTRL & SHIFT in modes 1,2 & 3. That gives me a lot of versatility in programming.

tagTaken2
02-14-2007, 08:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by knightflyte:
THAT'S an option that I wish that CH Products would impliment. ROTARIES. I miss trimming on a rotary.
As an experiment I set elevator trim up on my CH Fighterstick's throttle wheel. I now know what the BAT TURN really is. WOW! What a cheat!!!! Man, Ray Ban! No wonder you liked it!!!!!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooohh, yeah...

I aim with my elevator trim now. But it's okay, because I'm offline.

FFB sticks do rock if you can get a good one. It's as much immersion for me, but I stopped stalling almost instantly, because you can feel it coming. Landings are a bit hairier, as the stick goes slacker at low speeds.

*I do have a complaint though. Has anyone else with a MSFFB2 noticed the difference with guns after ordinance has dropped? Is there a way to avoid the jerking with MG?

Chris0382
02-14-2007, 08:12 PM
I actually took my spare Flightstick Pro and removed the Y-Axis spring from it. I put a plastic shim were the stick moves forward and backwards to make it stiff and wolla!!, I assigned my elevator trim to it. So now, I only use my regular Y-Axis of my Combatstick in flight; but in closure and aiming, its all trim action with the modified Flightstick Pro.

horseback
02-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Geez-right at the moment, I have a
TIR4, CH Products CombatStick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and Throttle Quadrant with a Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit in front of me (and there's a CH Yoke in my closet somewhere).

Clearly, I have too much money to spend on this sim.

cheers

horseback

GBrutus
02-14-2007, 08:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaVee:
As was mentioned the MSFFB2 is no longer made but it is IMO hands down the best gaming joystick ever made.

I've had mine for 8 years +/- with zero issues and am planning to buy a used backup on ebay. I don't know what I'd do if it dies down the road and they are no longer obtainable.

I'm surprised someone hasn't approached M$ with an offer to buy whatever patent and tooling there was for the MSFFB2 and start making and selling them under another name again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought a MSFFB2 on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and it's transformed this sim for me. I'm also thinking of buying another as backup, couldn't imagine flying without it now.

The rest of my setup consists of a CH Throttle, CH pedals and TrackIR 3.

BaldieJr
02-14-2007, 08:35 PM
How much for the yoke in your closet?

kingkirki49
02-14-2007, 08:39 PM
i use the logitec attack3 and it works fine but i cant manage to set the throttle to the slider (+/-) fkor quite some time b4 i got a new comp i had to use key board the joystick easier tho i also yet have to get pedals to replace the z/x keys

fordfan25
02-14-2007, 10:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chivas:
I would recommend either the MSFF2 or Saitek Aviator joystick combined with a CH Throttle, and Saitek Pro Pedals. Plus TrackIR...and Medusa 5.1 headset and mic...

~Salute~
Chivas </div></BLOCKQUOTE>or for the same price buy a actual fighter plane. may i recommend the F14 tomecat thay can be had for a bargin now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif