PDA

View Full Version : Landing Clearance

knarf1981
03-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Ok so how does this work, i have finished many a sucessful mission only to request and be granted clearance to land and then get in a flaming wreck becasuse someone else is on the runway or they land right into the back of ya. I mean why do they give you clearance and then you hear on the radio that someone else has clearance too? i try to stay in a pattern and wait for an empty spot but they always end up giving clearence to more then one plane at a time. how the bloody hell is this supposed to work?

-HH-Quazi
03-25-2005, 11:41 PM
Get your clearance, then keep your eyes open for the AI to ignore the "go-around" order. Also, don't just return to base after you are clear of enemy without telling your flight to return to base. If you do not tell them to return to base, they will just follow you, and sometimes, they will follow you straight up your rear-end while you are on approach for landing. Ordering them to return to base takes care of this most of the time. But at times, you may need to order them to break after you receive clearance to land.

knarf1981
03-26-2005, 12:23 AM
but what about when you are cleared and on final only to see another plane in the runway and then you have no time to do anything. this has happened before.

Lucius_Esox
03-26-2005, 02:23 AM
Knarf1981,
With respect m8 that is what your mk1 eyeballs are for! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HW3
03-26-2005, 08:30 AM
This has been a problem for a long time. Ground control will clear you to land any time you request it, regardless of what it is doing with the AI, so don't trust it.

SithSpeeder
03-26-2005, 10:32 AM
What HW3 said.

Also, what HH-Quazi said.

Both pieces of advice are very important.

But I would like to add that after you give the Return-to-base command to your flight (assuming you are lead), either make sure you beat them back to base by a good margin so that you can get down first OR let them all come in ahead of you and you land last. I have become a master at flying at 4x and 8x speeds just to get through what I consider the "boring" parts of the mission.

One other thing...on land bases, just come down on the taxiway. On carriers, you obviously don't have that option.

Hope that helps.

* _54th_Speeder *

JoachimvMayern
03-26-2005, 12:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HW3:
This has been a problem for a long time. Ground control will clear you to land any time you request it, regardless of what it is doing with the AI, so don't trust it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the AI in this game isn't all that great. When close to base, I tell my AI to land. The base is their next designated waypoint. What do they do? Fly up to about 5000 feet and circle around the base. It's like I'm wandering, WTF are you doing?

AlGroover
03-27-2005, 02:38 AM
You can also tell them to 'Loiter here' or even 'Return to previous waypoint' for a while.

ClnlSandersLite
03-28-2005, 01:41 PM
There is also a bug. At least there was, haven't checked it in some time. If 2 flight groups are trying to land on opposite ends of the runway at the same time, the air traffic controller will clear 1 from each end. This will result in numerous collisions.