PDA

View Full Version : Should a pilot be able to hear his aircraft make noise?

CorsairJockey
11-04-2005, 08:25 PM
After reading a thread about someone playing EAW, I decided to install my old copy just for the nostalga aspect. Can't remember how long since I played it last. I was amazed at how it looked, no where near the quality of IL2. There was one thing that I did notice that was kind of interesting and that was you could hear the metal in the plane sort of moan and creak when it was in a high stress G manuver. Is this realistic and would this be easy to incorporate into IL2?

CorsairJockey
11-04-2005, 08:25 PM
After reading a thread about someone playing EAW, I decided to install my old copy just for the nostalga aspect. Can't remember how long since I played it last. I was amazed at how it looked, no where near the quality of IL2. There was one thing that I did notice that was kind of interesting and that was you could hear the metal in the plane sort of moan and creak when it was in a high stress G manuver. Is this realistic and would this be easy to incorporate into IL2?

han freak solo
11-04-2005, 08:30 PM
CFS3 has it too. I don't know if it is real or not, but the CFS3 version sounded like a repetitive squeaky door.

FritzGryphon
11-04-2005, 08:36 PM
I've never heard of any pilot being aware of airframe stress by audible cues.

In fact, the exact opposite. Pilots overstress aircraft without the slightest inkling they have done so. Until they get home and see the damage.

Wearing headphones, and with noise and vibration of the engine, I don't think it's very likely. Certainly not to the silly extent some sims do it!

Stall buffeting is something that is commonly referred to by pilots, and it is modelled. It is louder in game than in real life, to make up for the fact you have no tactile sense in the game.

VW-IceFire
11-04-2005, 10:19 PM
As stated...not sure if its a real thing but some use of sound effects can help in creating, as FritzGryphon says, a tactile sense.

I think there is some merit in, on occasion, using sound to simulate something that you may not otherwise be able to deal with.

Something subtle in these cases would be best. A minor creak or dull groan wouldn't be all that bad.

pourshot
11-05-2005, 12:15 AM
I cant find it now but I have read some spitfire pilots note that mentions that in certain MK's when approching the stall at high speeds some panels would emit a loud banging, so I suppose "some" sounds could be heard.

VT-51_Razor
11-05-2005, 08:33 AM
I doubt very much that you'd hear anything creaking in a WWII fighter or bomber due to how noisey they all were, but now days, in a small general aviation plane, or even a large airliner, you certainly CAN hear stresses on the airframe. What you're actually hearing though, is parts of the interior making noise as the airframe around it flexes.

Abbuzze
11-06-2005, 07:15 AM
We should keep in mind that real life ww2 fighter pilots were direct behind 40L Engines with more than 1000HP, and this engines had exhauste pipes with no silencers!
Finnish pilots reported, that you will not hear if you plane is hit by a bullet, you just fell it.

But of course we have to keep in mind that we are limited with our senses behind a PC screen. So our hitsounds are ok, but NOT the enginesounds of the enemy behind us.
For the overstress sound, I don´t know if this will in- or decrease realism...

Curtiss_P-6E
11-06-2005, 07:39 AM
I have flown T-6 and BT-13. Never had one past Vne but I doubt you can hear anything other than engine noise and the defning wind with the canopy open as I did.

I can imagine being able to hear a wing spar snap or something simular, maybe.

polak5
11-06-2005, 12:30 PM
I think noises should be made if ur plane is somewhat new and and u put it under extreme stress. For example: Going 700kph in a dive.

That being said Abbuzze brings up a good point, should u be able to hear small rivets and such squeak and stress over the sound of ur engine??

73GIAP_Milan
11-06-2005, 01:07 PM
hmmm would that count aswell for the weapons mounted on the plane??

I have read some stories that pilots could hear their guns while others could not. My guess is that weapons mounted in front of the cockpit might be hearable but others not, you just feel the vibration (same as when the plane is hit on any other part then the cockpit or in front of it)
Logical sense tells me that the engine is the loudest (especially in ww2 era planes) so that sounds like overstressed airframe and such would not likely be able to be heard.

Ingame they are made hearable because you as armchairpilot cannot feel (apart from forcefeedback stickvibration) what your plane is doing and what it is suffering from..

J_Weaver
11-06-2005, 01:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:

In fact, the exact opposite. Pilots overstress aircraft without the slightest inkling they have done so. Until they get home and see the damage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. My father told me story that when he was a student pilot he was praticing stalls. I his youthful ignorance he was hanging the 150 on its prop and holding it in the vertical until it started to "back down." When he landed he found that he had wrinkled the skin on the rear fuselage. He had no idea that he had done it. Moral of the story is that a 150 isn't a stunt plane. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gifOh, and airplanes don't make noises until they come apart.

Curtiss_P-6E
11-06-2005, 04:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J_Weaver:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:

In fact, the exact opposite. Pilots overstress aircraft without the slightest inkling they have done so. Until they get home and see the damage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. My father told me story that when he was a student pilot he was praticing stalls. I his youthful ignorance he was hanging the 150 on its prop and holding it in the vertical until it started to "back down." When he landed he found that he had wrinkled the skin on the rear fuselage. He had no idea that he had done it. Moral of the story is that a 150 isn't a stunt plane. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gifOh, and airplanes don't make noises until they come apart. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He needed a Cessna 150 Aerobat....yes they did make them aerobatic.

J_Weaver
11-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Oops! I totally for got about the 150 Aerobat.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif Anywho, he didn't hear the skin wrinkling. So I'd think that it would take something big to break before you could hear it.

FA_Razor
11-07-2005, 07:39 PM
If I turn the volume ALL the way up in game...I can hear the plane talking to me...

..."Hey! Doofus! Gonna check six? Where's your S.A. dumb@ss? You call that a landing? Nice turn...think we got passed by a granny on a bicycle back there! Hold the trigger down...you might get lucky (and monkeys might fly out of my butt!)"...and so on.....

pacettid
11-08-2005, 05:19 AM
When I flew single seat, high-performance prop driven planes in the U.S. Navy, back in the 70's, I can assure you that the only thing I could hear when I fired her up was that 1,500 hp engine a few feet in front of me, and the radio. If I popped the canopy, I could hear the wind.

I have also pulled 4.5Gs in a T-28 and never noticed any creaking, or groaning.

McThag
11-08-2005, 09:09 AM
My buddy Marv says that all you can hear in a P-51 is the engine and the radio. Even doing acrobatics. He did say that there are all manner of tell-tale vibrations that you can feel that let you know if you are doing something you shouldn't.

He used to have a friend that owned one. That guy has long since sold it, but Marv got to fly it. I am SO green...

Treetop64
11-08-2005, 06:35 PM

Agreed. Especially when one considers that the pilot is going through enough physiological strains during high-G maneuvers that would greatly distract him from whatever little squeaks and pops the airframe might emit.