PDA

View Full Version : Cannot seat sound card

Woof603
01-06-2010, 05:59 PM
I cannot seat an HTI Omega Striker 7.1 sound card into an Asus P7P55D Deluxe MB. I'm using a Lancool K 12 case. The card notch will not match the divider in either PC1 slot. It misses by about 1/32 of an inch towards the interior. It's as though the card is too big from the pins towards the back of the case. There is not enough flex in the case to force the card in the slot.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Any thoughts?
Many thanks.

Woof603
01-06-2010, 05:59 PM
I cannot seat an HTI Omega Striker 7.1 sound card into an Asus P7P55D Deluxe MB. I'm using a Lancool K 12 case. The card notch will not match the divider in either PC1 slot. It misses by about 1/32 of an inch towards the interior. It's as though the card is too big from the pins towards the back of the case. There is not enough flex in the case to force the card in the slot.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Any thoughts?
Many thanks.

x6BL_Brando
01-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Apart from asking whether you definitely have the removable mobo tray seated correctly, and whether you could move the mobo slightly if you loosened the screws off and prised a bit (?) I can only suggest an RMA of the soundcard.
It would be worth checking to see if it fits on any other mobo - at least that would give you a clue where to be looking.

good luck with it

B

Woof603
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks, Brando. Since posting, I found a note on Tom's Hardware where someone had the same problem and solved it by removing the very handsome brass faceplate from the sound card.
I may have to go with that.

WhiteSnake_76
01-07-2010, 04:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Woof603:
Thanks, Brando. Since posting, I found a note on Tom's Hardware where someone had the same problem and solved it by removing the very handsome brass faceplate from the sound card.
I may have to go with that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could try by loosening the face plate a litte and repositioning it that way, removing the whole faceplate is a bad idea (grounding)

Btw. you know that if your running Vista or Windows 7 all DirectX based sound gets proseced by Windows it self, basicly rendering it useless for any Soundhardware?
Only OpenAL sound will work with your Soundhardware.

IL2 uses DirectX DirectSound for its soundengine and its recomended to turn off all Soundhardware Aceeleration and Effects for that.

Wings of Prey uses DirectX Fmod Directsound wich is even worse, even if you disable all Soundhardware Acceleration and Effects with that you still get problems (mainly sounds missing or hanging/looping)

Games like Bioshock or Grid use OpenAL sound so they should run fine.

Its a shame that they dont clearly put on games what Soundengine is used, it would make it much easier to set up your Soundcard correctly for a game.

Woof603
01-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the info, Camp. And no, I didn't know that about Windows 7, which I'm going to use.

WhiteSnake_76
01-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Lets hope Storm of War will use OpenAL sound...

There are basicly 2 types of DirectX sound, DirectSound and DirectSound3D.

DirectSound3D can be converted to OpenAL by using an application like Creative ALchemy (wich is only free to use if you got an X-Fi card, users with an Audigy card can also use it but have to pay for it)
Realtek has 3D-Soundback for its HDA line of chips.
I think some other soundcards-chips also have aplications like this (altough i only know of Realtek and Creative that have it) or there might be third party applications that can do it.

You need to keep in mind though that an Aplication like that will take up system resourses so you notice a drop in gaming performance wen using them.

DirectSound can not be converted to OpenGL, so with games like IL2, Wings of Prey, Crysis etc. there is no Soundhardware acceleration or Effects and its best to leave these options disabled (could cause minor problems/bugs wen left enabled)

Woof603
01-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks again, Camp. The info is much appreciated. I'm returning the Striker and will go with the mb sound.