PDA

View Full Version : A little tip for landing F4U on Carrier

VMF-312_530hawk
11-14-2004, 05:16 PM
"Carrier landings seem to be the hardest for most folks so I will start with them. Just as on land, a good landing starts with a good approach. Get behind on the approach and you will make a bad landing. My friend flew F6Fs in the Navy and he told me that if flown right, the LSO stays at the same reference point from just after "Abeam" till wings level at power chop/landing.

You should be set up at 3-5 miles out with power settings as follows: Altitude - 2,700 ft, when level, power to 26"@ 2150 rpm with an airspeed of about 170mph. Cowl flaps to 1/2 open. The tower will give you "Charlie" landing clearance. Your flight will then form the right echelon formation and begin to approach the CV down wind at 800' (see chart below), canopy open. Power 26"@ 2100 rpm. Airspeed still about 170mph. After the appropriate Break beyond the ship's bow, you will drop the, gear, hook, full flaps down, props full rpm and trim the airplane for 125mph (not gonna work if flying "balls to the walls" when approaching the CV). Don't let the nose pitch up. Also, maintain level flight momentarily to allow some speed to bleed off, then descend to 600' @ about 150fpm. When "abeam" slow to 100mph and adjust trim to counteract left wing heavy. Maintain a shallow decent to the deck. This gives you a nose high attitude which drags the "hook" on the deck. There really is no flare using this approach. You are litteraly dragging the hook to the cable. You want to roll out on final for about 3-5 seconds aiming for the bow of the ship. This is the only blind spot. but you should now be ready to chop the power ease the stick back into your gut and grab the hook.

Under this box is a great link to carrier landings. PLEASE NOTE, if you use the speed bar, remember that it only shows 10mph changes. You can be indicating 90mph on the speed bar and 100mph on the airspeed indicator thus a 13 mph above stall speed indication. This can cause you to "miss the hook" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Visit my website at http://www.geocities.com/vmf_312/
http://www.geocities.com/vmf_312/CVOps.jpg

VMF-312_530hawk
11-14-2004, 05:16 PM
"Carrier landings seem to be the hardest for most folks so I will start with them. Just as on land, a good landing starts with a good approach. Get behind on the approach and you will make a bad landing. My friend flew F6Fs in the Navy and he told me that if flown right, the LSO stays at the same reference point from just after "Abeam" till wings level at power chop/landing.

You should be set up at 3-5 miles out with power settings as follows: Altitude - 2,700 ft, when level, power to 26"@ 2150 rpm with an airspeed of about 170mph. Cowl flaps to 1/2 open. The tower will give you "Charlie" landing clearance. Your flight will then form the right echelon formation and begin to approach the CV down wind at 800' (see chart below), canopy open. Power 26"@ 2100 rpm. Airspeed still about 170mph. After the appropriate Break beyond the ship's bow, you will drop the, gear, hook, full flaps down, props full rpm and trim the airplane for 125mph (not gonna work if flying "balls to the walls" when approaching the CV). Don't let the nose pitch up. Also, maintain level flight momentarily to allow some speed to bleed off, then descend to 600' @ about 150fpm. When "abeam" slow to 100mph and adjust trim to counteract left wing heavy. Maintain a shallow decent to the deck. This gives you a nose high attitude which drags the "hook" on the deck. There really is no flare using this approach. You are litteraly dragging the hook to the cable. You want to roll out on final for about 3-5 seconds aiming for the bow of the ship. This is the only blind spot. but you should now be ready to chop the power ease the stick back into your gut and grab the hook.

Under this box is a great link to carrier landings. PLEASE NOTE, if you use the speed bar, remember that it only shows 10mph changes. You can be indicating 90mph on the speed bar and 100mph on the airspeed indicator thus a 13 mph above stall speed indication. This can cause you to "miss the hook" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Visit my website at http://www.geocities.com/vmf_312/
http://www.geocities.com/vmf_312/CVOps.jpg