PDA

View Full Version : Ship of Dreams or Ship of Fools? ( an idea for more realistic Object behavior, May Increase F.P.S.

MR.Reah
04-10-2004, 02:49 AM
Looking forward to the Pacific Theater and the significant role that ships will by necessity play in these engagements- a thought occurred to me: Would it be possible to implement an option for them to be 'Guns Hot or 'Guns Cold'?
I can imagine a scenario where several destroyers or battle ships are caught 'off guard's (Pearl Harbor like situation) Many of the boats would be slow to respond to the attack- if at all- thus the need for some sort of setting for them to be in a 'Guns Cold' or 'Guns Off' mode.

It may also be relevant to the current Forgotten Battles/A.E.P. and future Battle of Britain in that:

This would be a really great feature if it could be tied into the firing response programming (or maybe waypoints for moving objects?) information for all armed objects - not only ships.

Perhaps an additional parameter could be added- similar to the timer function for the V1 Rocket Object? Vehicles and artillery no longer need be firing continuously- the person building the mission would decide when they should be 'awake' or 'asleep' or set intervals for 'active' or 'inactive'..........

Well, I'm just dreaming..............or not?

[This message was edited by MR.Reah on Sat April 10 2004 at 02:22 AM.]

[This message was edited by MR.Reah on Sat April 10 2004 at 02:26 AM.]

MR.Reah
04-10-2004, 02:49 AM
Looking forward to the Pacific Theater and the significant role that ships will by necessity play in these engagements- a thought occurred to me: Would it be possible to implement an option for them to be 'Guns Hot or 'Guns Cold'?
I can imagine a scenario where several destroyers or battle ships are caught 'off guard's (Pearl Harbor like situation) Many of the boats would be slow to respond to the attack- if at all- thus the need for some sort of setting for them to be in a 'Guns Cold' or 'Guns Off' mode.

It may also be relevant to the current Forgotten Battles/A.E.P. and future Battle of Britain in that:

This would be a really great feature if it could be tied into the firing response programming (or maybe waypoints for moving objects?) information for all armed objects - not only ships.

Perhaps an additional parameter could be added- similar to the timer function for the V1 Rocket Object? Vehicles and artillery no longer need be firing continuously- the person building the mission would decide when they should be 'awake' or 'asleep' or set intervals for 'active' or 'inactive'..........

Well, I'm just dreaming..............or not?

[This message was edited by MR.Reah on Sat April 10 2004 at 02:22 AM.]

Tully__
04-10-2004, 06:06 AM
I know that if you set a timeout on stationary artillery or armour, they wont shoot until the timeout expires. I would need to test to see if the same option applies to stationary ships.

I would imagine that ships at sea would already have some sort of minimum emergency amount of ammuntion already available to the loaders/gunners in wartime cruises, making that sort of setting inappropriate for moving ships.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/sig.jpg

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully

BSS_CUDA
04-10-2004, 01:19 PM
being an EX-Sailor and ships helmsmen I can tell you that while at sea a ships is always on watch. I spent thousands of hours on the bridge in port and underway, the ONLY time you would catch a ship is in port, it would never happen at sea. especially during a time of war. there are ALWAYS lookouts on duty as well as radar operators. not to mention all the picked ships surrounding the carrier, the destroyers would get word to you long before you ever saw the planes inbound. it is possible that it would happen in port but not very likley during a wartime situation, especially in a combat zone. wouldnt be realistic to model it in the game

BSS_CUDA
Co-Founder of my family
Black Sheep Tactical Officer

That was some of the best flying I've seen yet! right up to the part where you got killed.
you NEVER NEVER leave your wingman.

Jester : TopGun

CornbreadPattie
04-14-2004, 09:31 AM
must we forget that he might be referring to Pearl Harbor?

Capt._Tenneal
04-14-2004, 10:24 AM
I was thinking maybe have an 'alert function' for ships at port. Using the Pearl Harbor example, total surprise would mean ships at alert=0 (no reaction at all) when the first torpedoes are released. Then gradually going to alert=1 (a few AA guns start firing) then building up (alert=2, 3, 4 etc.) until all available guns on all ships are going off.

Rata18
04-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Umm, didn't a US CVN BG get overflown recently?

Something got Fubar'd and it took 20mins or so to get anything airbourne.. IIRC the bogey was undetected until it was well within visual range or overhead?